| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Questions from a newbie that wants to learn lap steel
Mark DeMarino

Jersey Village, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 6:08 pm    

Hello all and thanks for having this forum and your answers, I hope to receive. Sorry, it's kinda long, but...My situation is a little different.

I'm 55, never gotten into playing any instruments full on other than 3 yrs violin in 4-6 grade, but gave it up. Had I known violins were fiddles in Texas. Tried guitar but medical issues stopped me there. Have boght a harmonica as a semi last effort, but my nephew suggested looking at lap steel.

Here is the issues. I am double leg amputee. 1 above knee, the other below. So pedals are pretty much out, I think. My left hand fingers have all been cut at mid-knuckle and right hand is same, except I still have thumb, fore and middle finger intact.

I'm pretty sure I can hold slide in left ok and pick with 3 on right, but don't know.

Am I dreaming or is it possible to learn to play a lap steel, given my situation?

I am big Classic Rock music lover as well as Country, Southern Rock/Country, BG, and pretty much anything.

I plan on chatting with Will Van Horn (member here) who instructs in my hometown area, but would like thoughts, opinions, comments etc. Be honest. I can take it. Thanks to all...MD
Derek Quinn

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 6:26 pm    

Hi Mark. I'm a steel guitar(forum) newbie as well. Anything is possible if you really want it. If you're not able to set the steel on your lap, then I'm sure a steel stand can be made to accommodate you. I'm certain an avalanche of great advice is to follow, but no matter what -remember the example of two of the greatest steel players: Andy Iona -who lost his right thumb, and Billy Hew Len -who didn't even have a left hand!

In that light, you're not doing bad at all!

Best wishes in your endeavors.
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 6:47 pm    

Absolutely possible. I think you will love it. I am thinking of Billy Hew Len as well. GO FOR IT!!!
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 8:04 pm    

for sure! you were made for it. that's why you still have your 3 pickin fingers on your right hand. it's like it was meant to be.
Mark DeMarino

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 9:55 pm    

Thanks Derek, Jeff & Chris. @ Chris...yeah, I have for a couple of years since 09, said God was whittling me down like a carpenters Dad, making me into something. Wasn't sure what. Maybe this is what my calling is now. Hmm??...MD
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2013 3:13 am    

Hi Mark, With your right thumb, index and middle fingers there is not too much picking technique you can't achieve, and there are many different types of steel which are easy to hold for most of us. Your teacher should be able to help you with a custom rig. Having a teacher in the neighbourhood is a big plus. I have never actually spoken to a real live lap steel guitar player except on this forum. I have met a few people who messed with them a bit though.

It seems to me that the biggest hurdle for a lot of people is continuous self-motivation. So if you get to feel like a shot of enthusiasm, this is the place.

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2013 4:02 am    

Your biggest hurdle will most likely be deciding what lap steel to buy Very Happy

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 6:19 am    

Welcome to the forums Mark!

I don't think you are dreaming. One thing I've found is that if the music is in you, it will find a way out and steel guitar might just be your escape.
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 6:45 am    

Humans have overcome a lot of obstacles to reach their goals. You'll find a lot of help and support here, Mark. Go for it!

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 8:10 am     Newbie Questions

Looking around. Musicians Friend has these. Obviously a low level Lap, but has good reviews posted. As something to start out, for practice, is it a waste?

The steel looked good with the wood handle. Might be easy for me to hold.

Shubb GS-1 Resophonic Steel Bar Slide Qty: 1

Rogue RLS-1 Lap Steel Guitar with Stand and Gig Bag Metallic Red

Considering:
A VOX headphone amp, for practicing w/o disturbing my wife and son. Anyone have any knowledge here?

Comments on above items? Thanks...MD
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 9:21 am    

you're looking in the right direction for sure. i don't have any first hand experience with the rogue but i've heard it mentioned. let some others give you some opinions here. it's probably fine for starting out.
shubb makes a couple other good bars also...i like the sp2..that may suit your hand. check into all of them to see if one might be better than another for you.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 11:38 am    

This is so cool.
Big thanx to your friend, Mark, who suggested steel guitar to you! It may be the best musical thing to happen for you and is something I've long believed should be on every steel players agenda in promoting the steel, especially to anyone afflicted with your types of physical problems/limitations to show them a real positives in overcoming to some degree such (seeming) tragedies. I've always wondered how many thousands of potential steel playing wonders we let slip away by them never finding the steel and that most probably lived a life in despair when it could have turned out better.
Sounds like a New Year's resolution for us who lucked out in life and know our instrument, and one I'll try even harder to accomplish.
Thanx for your inspiring post, Mark, and all the best '14 to you in your efforts.
Now go grab Jerry Byrd's big lesson book and video DVD and start setting the world on fire! http://scottysmusic.com/byrd.htm
John RJ Wilson

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 11:49 am    

Hope this helps with your confidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFErRqrdAZ0

Plus many other vids. Best of luck, i'm sure you will do well, and this is the right place to be.

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 1:36 pm    

Mark, I would not recommend that particular lap steel as it uses a much shorter scale length than is standard (20" vs. 22.5"), plus it sounds bad.
A better choice would be the Recording King RG-32, also available through Musician's Friend. Another good choice would be the Rondo SX lap steel.
Mark DeMarino

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 1:51 pm    

Thanks Chris, Ron, John & Brad. John..the link to Eric's work is inspiring, plus I like Christmas music and Classic Rock music, as well.

Brad..thanks for the input. Are the other 2 recommended single pick-ups? I will assume that I want to look for a more standard size 22.5" neck, to get the note ranges? Pardon my lack of music knowledge. I'm a good listener of music, now I want to be a player.

Thanks all..MD
Mark DeMarino

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 4:46 pm     More ?, but instruments

Rondo SX Lap 1 or 2? Ash or Mahogany? Advantage of guard or none?

RK LG 31 or 32? Differences?

I'm liking Rondo, at the moment, but haven't looked at Supro?

SOO many questions and much anxiety....and still haven't talked w/ Will Van Horn about lessons.

MD

2011? Rondo SX C6
Gorilla Amp
Waiting on Custom Gary Swallow steel
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 10:19 am     Re: More ?, but instruments

Mark DeMarino wrote:
Rondo SX Lap 1 or 2? Ash or Mahogany? Advantage of guard or none?

The guard just gets in the way, in my opinion. Either ash or mahogany will be fine in this price range.

Quote:
RK LG 31 or 32? Differences?

The finish is the only difference. If you like the sunburst, then that's your choice.

Quote:
I'm liking Rondo, at the moment, but haven't looked at Supro?

It's rare to find a Supro/Valco made lap steel at this price point, but if you're willing to spend a bit more, you'll probably get a better instrument. Vintage lap steels may sound better and have better components such as pickups, with the tuner keys being the only issue. Those tuner key buttons tend to crumble with age; fortunately, replacement buttons are easily obtainable.
Mark DeMarino

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 11:56 am     More ?

Brad...thanks for the reply and input. Seding you a PM on something listed....MD

2011? Rondo SX C6
Gorilla Amp
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 12:05 pm    

A huge mistake many make when thinking of getting started with steel is thinking cheap, it'll usually make the initial (if not the entire) experience a turn off. Thankfully, there are now a few notable exceptions to the rule regarding steel builds and Brad's suggestion of the Recording King RG-32 may be your best bet currently. Think quality in all things steel guitar and you'll be rewarded.
Mark DeMarino

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 12:32 pm     RK RG 32 vs Rondo

So Ron...are you indicating that the RK's are maybe a better unit than the Rondo?

Just your thoughts and opinions are/will be helpful.

There is a restored 53 Supro listed that sounds good, as well.

Thanks...MD

2011? Rondo SX C6
Gorilla Amp
Mark DeMarino

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2014 4:33 pm     More ?

OK, so I have found a Supro that looks to be a good purchase.

What about Accoustic vs Accous/Elec. and Electric for starting. Most of my froends play accoustic gitars

A good starter accoustic
is??

Sure am glad this group is here. Thanks SGF...MD

2011? Rondo SX C6
Gorilla Amp
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2014 8:07 pm    

Acoustic lap steel guitars have a different sound than electric lap steels, and can be much more expensive depending on who's making them. Each type of acoustic lap steel (Weissenborn, Dobro, National, etc.) have different sounds and generally are used for different types of music.

What's your budget and what type of sound are you looking to achieve?
Russell Taylor

Dade City, FL
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2014 5:32 am    

just wanted to add my recommendation on the Recording King steel. I've had mine for 3 yrs and love it. Oddly, mine has a slotted head which I haven't seen on any of their other mahogany models.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2014 11:33 am     Re: RK RG 32 vs Rondo

Mark DeMarino wrote:
So Ron...are you indicating that the RK's are maybe a better unit than the Rondo?
Both are said to be very good starters, but it seems the RK is better right out of the box with little to no need of repairs or mods.
Mark DeMarino

Post  Posted 13 Feb 2014 4:42 pm    

OK Guys/Gals...here's where I'm at, kinda. Been researching, searching,listening and inquiring. I think To start out, I want (eventually) a ? Lap Steel & a Gretsch 9230 Resonator guitar.

To start, I found this on local Craigslist. 2 yr old? Rondo SX.Mod.?, but thinks SX2. $80 w/case & No shipping, just go get it. Razz

http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/4324706993.html

My potential teacher, Will Van Horn on tour and we haven't tagged yet. Crying or Very sad

Thoughts, comments, Opinions welcome..MD

2011? Rondo SX C6
Gorilla Amp