| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zoom MS-50G - Now 100 Effects
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2013 5:38 pm    

I just updated the firmware in my Zoom MS-50G ($73.58 at Amazon) to version 2.01. It now has 100 effect types total, 45 new ones, including a new rotary speaker effect (Rt Closet), organ sim. (Z-Organ), Auto-Pan, stereo dleay and 5 new reverbs.

See a list of the new effects here along with their parameters:

New Zoom effects!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Greg Johnson

Greencastle, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2013 5:40 pm    

Greg got a question for ya

So, with the help of some well placed gift cards today I plan on purchasing one tomorrow. As I understand I can use Delay-reverb-compression and say a 65 twin cab model at the same time. IS that correct? And should I run this in front or after the volume pedal.
Quilter TT
Evans FET 500
Fender Twin 65 RI
American Takimine
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2013 6:09 pm    

I spent a lot of time in Greencastle, PA a few years ago!

I just created a patch with Analog DLY, HALL reverb, COMP compressor and DELUXE-R amp model and it's working so no processor limitations there. I always run this pedal after the foot volume and that generally works well. A few effects such as the AutoWah or envelope filter works best however with a constant maximum input and sound better to me if used before the foot volume. Same rules apply as when putting together a pedal board. Perhaps for some people, two of these boxes, one before and one after the foot volume would work best. It'd be neat if the foot volume were an external input to a VOLUME effect that could be patched anywhere in the chain.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Greg Johnson

Post  Posted 25 Dec 2013 6:34 pm    

Thanks Greg. I am really looking forward to it. And the next time your in the area. Stop in.

Greg j.
Quilter TT
Evans FET 500
Fender Twin 65 RI
American Takimine
Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2013 10:08 pm    

Hey Greg.......where in the Amazon blurb does it say about Ver 2?. I went on Amazon but didn't say anything about a Ver x and it had the effects types as 55.

Just curious.
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2013 3:32 am    

You buy the pedal from Amazon (or wherever you wish).

You download the update from Zoom...

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/ms-50g/software/

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2013 3:36 am    

Greg, let us know when you do a demo of the Organ effect...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2013 8:32 am    

If you go here:

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/ms-50g/downloads/

You will get a more complete manual than the abbreviated one that comes with the pedal. It has more details on all the effects presets.

Scott is right. Buy the pedal with 55 effects. Download the firmware update and get the additional 45 effects.

I've sold my Pog2 and the Rotoshpere. Just didn't use them at all but they were great. If I get some free time I'll post some sound samples of the Zoom. most likely I would keep my dedicated reverb pedal and add the Zoom for spice.

G...
Greg Johnson

Post  Posted 26 Dec 2013 9:07 am    

OMG. This thing is great. In 15 minutes I was up and running. Now to play around some more. The local music store matched Amazon's price and thru in the wall adapter. So. Maybe we should start sharing patches? Thanks to all.
Quilter TT
Evans FET 500
Fender Twin 65 RI
American Takimine
Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2013 10:20 am    

Greg,
So the first manual link is the additional effects, and the second link the standard ones in version 1?
Also have you ( or anyone else out there had any luck getting a decent Dobro sim sound out of the 6 band EQ?
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2013 11:54 am    

Haven't actually played through this much with all the activities going on around home now. There's also a comb filter that might help with the dobro sound. You can also stack a few EQ's in series and/or add in a parametric one to get even more function than a standard 7 band EQ.

It does appear that you need to put two separate documents together to get one complete manaual. Wouldn't be hard to edit them into one pdf document!
Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2013 12:08 pm    

Thanks for the advice as to the Zoom pedal and downloading the additional effects. Sounds like a great little pedal.

How do you guys/gals compare it to other multi-effects units like the Digitech RP series or the Boss ME-50?
Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2013 3:58 pm    

I have the MS-100 BT . Pretty sure it's the same pedal, but updates are via Bluetooth from your phone. :
Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 12:47 pm    

I also have a MS-100 BT -- it's a great little box; perfect Swiss Army Knife for the road.

My only gripe: I had hoped to use it as an emergency back-up to my regular rig on the road by using the amp simulators. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get them clean enough. At a low volume, they sound pretty good. As soon as I start kicking down on the volume pedal, there is a degree of distortion. I have turned down the "tube" control and "gain" and raised the master volume, but it still sounds too distorted for me. Has anyone else had this issue?

Other than that, I really like the pedal.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 11:07 am    

I spent an hour playing with this thing today. The Arena and HD Hall reverbs are very usable. Maybe just a tad more grainy than the Hall Of Fame Church or the RV-5 Hall reverbs. The delays are great and it was easy to set up a delay/reverb combo. The delay and other parameter settings are listed when you twist the setting knobs so you can dial or re-dial a setting accurately. However some of the effects like AutoWah, compressor and distortion really need to be placed before the foot volume to work properly (with a fixed input level) and others like delay and reverb need to be placed after the foot volume.

So this is a great box for pedal steel but it's impossible to use all the effects with the box placed in a fixed foot volume / effect order. You will need two of these to get all the effects placed correctly for proper sound. Still it's great to have a reverb / delay combo or use this box as an effects on the guitar side of the foot volume and perhaps a dedicated reverb or delay box on the amp side of the foot volume. You can buy two of these for about the price of one reverb pedal but of course you would have to set up and switch them separately.

Ideally building two of these into one box with an in/out port between them for a foot volume would be pretty awesome!

Greg
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 11:26 am    

The Roto Closet is a really stunning leslie sim with two speeds. I paired it with an HD Hall reverb and it's good enough to dump all my other leslie sims even though it's missing a few features. There's no ramp between the two speeds and the two speeds are fixed. I assume it would be easy for someone to code an improved leslie sim with ramp and speed controls. That would make this box an even greater bargain for pedal steel.
Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 11:31 am    

Greg -- What did you think of the amp sims? As I mentioned above, they're not bad sounding but I can't seem to get them clean enough. Has this been your experience? Thanks, Boo
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 12:17 pm    

Amp sims seem to be a waste of time. noisy and it's a flawed concept anyhow. The Zoom is still a great bargain for what it does!

Greg
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 12:23 pm    

Greg,
I have one of these coming.
Does it have an organ effect in addition to the Leslie sim? Or maybe the octave below and two octaves above would work.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 3:37 pm    

Erv,

It has an organ effect that I have not tried and also a programmable octave effect. I really wish you wouldn't have ordered one of these... I REALLY wanted to own ONE piece of gear that you did not have!
Joshua Gibson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 2:54 am    

Jack, I do comb filter + resonance effect for a dobro sim You have to DL the firmware upgrade to get those two FX then just throw an Eq in there and adjust to taste,

Boo, the trick for the amp models seems to be to put a clean boost behind them in the chain...I know first thing that comes to mind is that it will boost the noise floor, but another trick is, try the different cab models because they don't all have that much noise...the dlx rev 1x12 cab is the noisiest out of all the algorithms.
Telonics, Zoom, BJS,
Goldtone BS, LITM, OS Dobros.
Fender, G&L, Gibson, Ibanez guitars.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 7:25 am    

Greg,
You just need to quit giving such glowing reviews! Very Happy
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2014 2:06 pm    

I only find it for $99 plus the power supply.

Any help finding it cheaper?
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2014 2:22 pm     ZOOM MS-50G Question?

If you use rechargeable AA batteries, will they charge when you use a power supply. The PS plug, with the PS NOT plugged in, does not disables the batteries. Just curious what my back up options might be. Diagram?
Greg Johnson

Post  Posted 7 Jan 2014 2:36 pm    

Bill
Amazon has it for like $78
Quilter TT
Evans FET 500
Fender Twin 65 RI
American Takimine