| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Re: IE 11............good or bad ?
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2013 7:27 am    

Hey Guys , I'm running Win 7 with IE 10 and it wants me to update to IE 11. What is the good bad and ugly of this update ? What say you ? Thanks in advance.
Jim Priebe

Queensland, Australia - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2013 2:48 pm    

Well IE 11 may be a bit faster and slightly more secure (temporarily) but it's still pretty cumbersome. The interface has changed (again) - better - well ?
(Many) Programmers seem to think that changing the interface is progress - try doing that in cars and see what sort of a customer reaction you get! Everytime the interface changes you spend half the time searching how to do things.
The main reason Windows XP was and still is so popular is the GUI (interface) was constant not because it was faultless or very stable.
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2013 3:24 pm    

Thank you Jim, It keeps wanting to update ( I'm Using 10 at the present) but I don't need anymore challenges at the moment. If there no great measure of improvement, then there's no point in making a mess and trying to clean it up later. That is why I asked . Thanks again.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2013 3:53 pm    

I.E. 11 has been stable for me and no problems, either on Win 7 or Win 8/8.1. I have NO problem on any site that I visit.

I do work on both the Windows 7 and Windows 8 forums and most of the Win 7 techies have upgraded to I.E.11. Win 8/8.1 already has I.E.11.
Jim Priebe

Queensland, Australia - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2013 4:15 pm    

In it's self IE 11 has no problems. Yes, it's more secure and a bit faster and will open all the sites however there are some software packages (eg. web site builders) that require patching to be compatible with it.
There are ALWAYS flow on effects from changes/updates. Many of these are a bit unseen and only show up at the least convenient times. Everytime Java or html5 etc. changes, the browser has to update. Hopefully, you as a user, can cope with them.
The ever changing "improvements" means browsers have to keep up to date BUT my beef is with the interfaces - why the **** change them?

Check how your current browser stacks up here

http://html5test.com/

I have the latest firefox and it still only scored 446 out of 555.
(Edit) IE 10 scored 335
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2013 9:15 am    

Jim Priebe wrote:
Check how your current browser stacks up here http://html5test.com/
I have the latest firefox and it still only scored 446 out of 555. (Edit) IE 10 scored 335

My attitude is that, in most cases, for those kinds of comparisons/rankings, etc to have any validity for me, I'd need to have all the same ideas about what's important as the people who did the rating. Since I'm not a clone of anyone else, I pick and choose which one fits ME and the ways I like to do things.

I use Firefox, not because it scored higher than the rest on somebody's "comparison", but because it's the one I enjoy using more, of those I've tried. YMMV
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2013 9:54 am    

I prefer Firefox over IE, Chrome, and Opera, mainly because of the Add-ons that are written for it. They provide so much additional functionality that when one gets disabled due to incompatibility with a Firefox update, I try to make it work anyway.

This happened to me this Fall, when a Firefox update stopped a live streaming radio station from working on my computers. I found that I was able to play the stream in IE and Chrome, and left one of them open in the background, playing the stream. In the meantime, I searched the Universe for a solution, through the Galactic Library Remote Portal, which is located on Gaia and has interfaces here on Earth (headquartered at Google, Inc).

After about one half hour I discovered both the cause and solution and with one special command (entered into about:config) I regained that function in Firefox.

Some people might have switched browsers to one that continued to support that particular method of playback, but not me. I like my browser that much and have so much tied up with it.

I appreciate how others feel about Internet Explorer and Chrome, especially if those are their long time default browsers. When I was busy doing computer troubleshooting, many of my customers didn't even know that there were other web browsers than IE, aside from AOL users.

As for IE 11, it has much better CSS 3 and HTML 5 support than any previous version. Still, I have to dance around its crazy Compatibility issues when designing active menus on web sites (mainly due to IE's use of Microsoft's proprietary Jscript, rather than the standard's compliant JavaScript). Worse, after I find a solution that fixes an IE 11 quirk on Windows 7 computers, I sometimes find that it doesn't help on Windows 8.1. Since I cannot tell visitors to those web sites to change a configuration switch on their stupid IE browser, I end up spending hours, or days trying to find workarounds for those browsers and operating systems.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Robert Leaman

Murphy, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2013 6:06 pm     Win 7 64-bit Pro & IE 11

I upgraded from IE10 to IE11 and I found that after some idle computer time, the system became very slow and at times completely unresponsive for varying times. I was even more aware of that after I installed a flight simulator called X-Plane 64-bit. I tried to uninstall IE11 and reinstall IE10 but there was nothing that easily allowed that. After some search with Bing, I found the following:

After closing Internet Explorer if it is open, open a command (DOS) window by pressing Start and then type CMD into the text window that opens above Start. Then, press Enter.

A black "DOS" window will open. Then paste the following into the window and press Enter. IE11 will be uninstalled and the browser will revert to IE10.

Here is the text string inside the two solid lines. It must be pasted or typed into the black DOS window. Typing a long string is usually subject to errors.

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /quiet /norestart"

This string should be copied and pasted into a NoteBook file so that it can be used without error in the above routine.

I am fully aware that there will be many, many flames and condemnations about this post answer, however, it worked flawlessly on my Win7 Pro and removed all my slow down problems. It removed WIN11 and when I opened Internet Explorer, it was IE10.

Have fun.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2013 7:06 pm    

It is a sad state of affairs that the best way to fix IE 11 problems is to uninstall it and revert to the previous version.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2013 7:39 am    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
It is a sad state of affairs that the best way to fix IE 11 problems is to uninstall it and revert to the previous version.

Thanks for a good post-Christmas laugh, Wiz.

Robert Leaman wrote:
I upgraded from IE10 to IE11 and I found that after some idle computer time, the system became very slow and at times completely unresponsive for varying times. I was even more aware of that after I installed a flight simulator called X-Plane 64-bit.

I've dabbled with various versions of X-Plane over the years, but hadn't in a while. About a year ago I decided I'd try it again to see what the latest improvements/features were. I ordered it, installed it all, and was aghast to discover large trees sprouting up in the middle of one of New York's largest airport's runway, don't remember which one. X-Plane "support" tried to downplay it as a result of "open-sourcing" the software, meaning that they depend on hackers to find and fix those kinds of egregious issues. Since I bought it to fly, not to hack, I uninstalled the whole mess and haven't revisited it since. FSX still rules the roost, IMO.