| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help Identifying an MSA Classic PSG
Nate Morefield

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2013 4:16 pm    

About 15 years ago I purchased an MSA Classic pedal steel with high hopes of learning to play it. Since then I've learned several new instruments, none of which were pedal steel...

After moving it around with me for well over a decade, and letting a friend borrow it for a year as he learned, I think it's time to sell it. Problem is, other than the make, model, number of pedals and levers and color, I know nothing about it. So I can't really do any research to see what it might be worth. I know what I paid for it 15 years ago but have no idea if it's now "vintage" or just "old."

I'm assuming it's a S10, because it's a single neck and has 10 strings. I'm also assuming it's an E9 because the strings my buddy bought for it when he was using it came in a package with "E9" on it... I'm also guessing it's from the 70's because of the super cool linoleum finish. Very Happy

Are their serial numbers, or other ways to tell year or any other specifications that would be useful in determining value?

Here are a couple pictures of some identifying marks and I have lots more I could upload if that would help.

Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Nate Morefield on 26 Dec 2013 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2013 4:37 pm    

Well I can see 3 floors and 4 knees. Cant see if it has the vertical lever. If it has a case I'd say $1400.00. Incidentally the color is tide wood white I believe, and it's mica facia not linoleum. Let me add that my D-10 classic's serial no. is 2C2339 built the spring of 1974 Usually Stamped on the end plate underneath. Tennessee Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Last edited by Lee Dassow on 21 Dec 2013 5:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2013 4:37 pm    

There should be serial number on it somewhere underneath. I'm sure there are folks on here that could give you more info with that.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2013 4:39 pm    

This is a copy of a post from Kyle Bennett regarding MSA serial numbers...

"I now have all of the MSA serial number books. Just email me and I'll try to provide you the date of manufacture: kyle@msapedalsteels.com."

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Nate Morefield

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2013 5:25 pm    

Thanks Gents!

Found the serial number as mentioned and it's 1C 1732. I'll email that to Mr. Bennett.

Yes, 3 floor pedals and 4 knees (I was calling levers). Not sure what a vertical lever is so I'm guessing that it doesn't have one. Yes, has a nice hard shell case.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2013 7:24 pm     Help Identify an MSA classic MSA classic PSG

One nice MSA classic. If the mechanics are original and in good shape underneath. I have its near twin except it had a 4 pedal added before I bought it. I bought it in 1999. My serial No. 1C2921. Hope it gets a nice home.
Nate Morefield

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2013 8:20 pm    

Yeah, I'd say they're related alright! Smile

When I purchased this instrument, I was playing guitar in one group and upright bass in another. Since then, I've taken up mandolin and banjo but for some reason never really stuck it out on the steep learning curve on PSG...

I too hope it can go to a good home.

I fear I'll end up having to ship it to ensure that though Sad
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 11:36 am    

IMHO, the year of production of an MSA pedal steel is rather unimportant, as it does absolutely nothing to increase or decrease the value of the guitar. Their value, like most modern pedal steels, is really determined by the model, the condition, and the pedal/lever complement. Neutral
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 1:04 pm    

Pictures underneath wouldn't hurt a bit. If I lived close to you I'd probably come over and buy it. The mailing factor always scares me. You might receive it all smashed up. T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 1:08 pm    

The guitar is a diebord/mica body, made in the early 70S. It has a double rsise, double lower changer.

In my opinion, the guitar is worth about $1,200. This doe4s not reflect the instrument's quality, but rather the fact that there are so many of them floating around. (MSA made more steels than any other company.)

Last edited by Mike Perlowin on 22 Dec 2013 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nate Morefield

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 7:51 pm    

Thanks all. I got it listed in the classifieds and a few other places as well. Tough time of year to sell I'm guessing but after waiting 10 years, a few more months won't hurt at all to find the right buyer.
Geoff Marshall

North Lincolnshire U,K.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2013 12:45 pm    

MINT - THIS IS A STAR GUITAR - SAY WOT IV

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2013 12:51 pm    

OK..... Wot IV?

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2013 6:50 pm    

Geoff Marshall wrote:

Is "WOT IV" some kind of cool PSG slang?
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2013 6:51 pm    

Anybody else recall drooling over Tom Bradshaw's pedal steel guitar products catalog, ya know, that yellow one, with about 20 of these pictured inside?
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2013 8:56 pm    

Geoff Marshall wrote:

Question

http://www.starpedalsteelguitars.com/
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2013 3:15 am    

These are nice Instruments, well made and rugged. The MSA Micro badge began around 71, but it really doesn't matter what the actual age is, the Steels made in this era for the most part are the same. I suspect it is a 3 + 4 which was really typical and common. I happen to own 2 MSA's from the same era, S10 and S12.

These are not hard guitars to work on but they are different in that the round cross shafts are inserted thru the bellcranks which means you have to remove the entire cross shaft assy to add or remove a pull from any particular pedal or knee lever. Sounds hard but it's not, MSA placed a removable aluminum strip on the rear apron which allows this to be done in short order. A couple of allen wrenches and 5 or 10 minutes is all it takes.

Regarding value ,that really is dependent on several factors, just like anything else. Condition, availability, buyers opinion etc. My guess would be upwards to $1400 .

Nobody should be afraid to grab one of these excellent Steel guitars.

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Nate Morefield

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2013 2:13 pm    

I want to thank everybody here for your input and help. I was able to sell the guitar into a good home where it's going to see some usage, which couldn't make me happier.