| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stir the pot.....MCI welded or bolted?????
Chuck Hall

Warner Robins, Ga, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2013 7:04 am    

I own and play an MCI that I got from my best friend and mentor Frank Crawley. When it was new it was a dark blue mica D10 8/4. He bought it in the mid 80's

He fretted about cabinet drop and replaced the front wood apron with a thicker piece of wood (he cut a groove in the edges of the new apron and the endcaps are inset in the grooves)and replaced all of the mica with a natural woodgrain color. The neck switch is not buttons but is a knife blade type switch similar to a tele switch. Since the front apron was replaced, I do not know the serial number as they seemed to have been stamped in the bottom of the apron.

I am NOT interested is selling or trading this horn but I have some questions about the brand. From a post of 17 Mar 2004 From John Lazarus I found
Quote:
So, let me see if I've got this right....
All EMCI guitars are welded frames, since they were the last ones built in the MCI/EMCI saga. But they are not necessarily all Arlington EMCI's, since Gretsch bought the company and built some EMCI's late in the game.
All early MCI guitars, prior to the welded frame, were Waco models. These models could have either aluminum or wood necks and had bolted on front aprons of wood. This would include Curly Chalker's guitar and the MCI that Al Udeen currently has for sale on the Forum. Al's guitar says, "MCI by Carter" on the logo decal.
Finally, the welded Arlington MCI was designed by Gene Fields and is essentially the same as the later EMCI except for some very minor differences. These would be fretboard colors, tuners, tack welds, etc.
These welded MCI's fit into the timeline between the Waco and EMCI.
Is this correct?
confusing isn't it....

Bobbe Seymour was going to write a book on the origin of the steel guitar. Bobbe, did you ever get the book written? By the way Bobbe, you have seen this guitar. I showed it to you at a steel show in Clinton Georgia when you came to do the Frank Crawley memorial show. You bought his Zum and took it back with you. Very Happy

Could some one in the 'know' post pictures of what is a welded frame (showing the welds) and what is not a welded frame? I keep hearing this is a defining factor but have not seen the differences in pics. would just like to see what folks are talking about.

I remember the post where Buddy Emmons explained the the E was NOT for Emmons but he suggested it to be different but sound the same.

Anymore history would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Winking

Last edited by Chuck Hall on 14 Dec 2013 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Henry Brooks

Los Gatos, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2013 1:28 pm    

You can find a lot of MCI history on the old forum site. I have a 1985 SD-10 MCI color deep blue which I bought new. It was made in made in Arlington. It has MCI with globe label on the from and doesn't have a welded frame. Copies on the manual are on the old Carter site which has a different name now.
Henry
Henry Brooks

Post  Posted 13 Dec 2013 1:39 pm    

Here's a picture. Carter site is now www.steelguitar.com.
Henry
Chuck Hall

Warner Robins, Ga, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2013 8:45 am     Thanks Henry

At times (and again yesterday) I read all the old posts on the MCI, and got a good history lesson (I wish Bobbe would hurry with the book) Your steel looks just like mine did when it was new. Frank changed it almost as soon as he got it and I have been playing it over 20 years. I love this horn.

What I am really looking for is two pictures of the undercarriage----one welded and one not so I can see what everyone is talking about..

My friend Frank, played music with Bobbe Seymour when they were in the service (Air Force). Bobbe has a picture of him inside one of his CD's (No Pedals Allowed) Frank was playing lead during that time and afterwards built his own steel out of what ever he could find. lol Bobbe remembers that steel. We have talked about it. Laughing

Bobbe, hope you are feeling a lot better now. Very Happy
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2013 9:14 am    

Gene Fields started the welded bodies when he worked at MCI/EMCI. He carried that over to his GFI guitars, so you might ask him how it came about.

Welded bodies are rock solid and can't loosen up. That works even better than the drill and pin with roll pins that we did at Dekley. Smile
Henry Brooks

Post  Posted 14 Dec 2013 12:10 pm    

Chuck here is a photo of a EMCI with the Welded frame from the forum archive. Also, note that the cross-shafts length are adjustable. On the MCI without the welded frame the back panel has to be removed to install the cross shafts.
Henry

Last edited by Henry Brooks on 14 Dec 2013 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Henry Brooks

Post  Posted 14 Dec 2013 12:20 pm    

Here my MCI with the back panel removed.
Henry
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2013 12:45 pm    

i'm curious about these also. can anyone explain a little about some of the improvements frank carter made to these?
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2013 8:05 pm    

The "welds" on the MCI Rangexpanders and EMCI's was at the base of the leg sockets where the front and back aluminum aprons meet the endplates, essentially making the guitar have a completely joined Aluminum body - with the front apron taking a wood insert and the top as well.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Chuck Hall

Warner Robins, Ga, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2013 8:23 am    

Found a weld, I think

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2013 10:43 am    

I've owned and played both types and even though the non welded frame guitars sound really good, some had tuning issues. I believe it's due to the way end plates were put on. Not very stable at all. If you will look in picture posted by Henry Brooks at the slotted end plate. They also had cabinet drop issues where the welded frame was a much sturdier guitar and had less cabinet drop. Either type play and sound great.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Chuck Hall

Warner Robins, Ga, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2013 3:35 am    

I will take my camera and take pics of mine this Sat night and post them next week. I know that mine has a wood apron in the front.

Thanks to all who have participated in this discussion.

Cool