| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help identifying this old bar
Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2013 7:48 am    

Does anyone know what this bar is? it is 27/8" long and a thin 5/8" wide. It looks like it would shatter if dropped on cement. It also has a metal insert.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2013 9:57 am    

Chris, sorry I can't help. Don't intend to hijack your post, but if anyone does know, perhaps they will also be able to identify this one. It appears to be steel encased in black Bakelite. The steel insert is machined to be slightly concaved on the flat end, which is about 3/4" diameter, flared down to about 11/16" on the bullet end. The bar is about 2-3/4" long, and weighs in at just a tad over 3 ounces. It gives a more muted effect than a polished chrome bar, and is noticeably less "slippery" on the strings.

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2013 10:11 am    

Hi Jack,

Your Black Bar May Be One Known As A "Black Rajah" From The 1940s or 1950s. ??

Roger
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2013 10:46 am    

Roger Shackelton wrote:
Hi Jack

I love subtle humor.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2013 10:48 am    

Thanks, Roger. I have read and heard about the old "Black Rajah" bars. Thought that this indeed may be one of them, but wasn't sure.
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2013 2:20 pm    

Lee Baucum wrote:
Roger Shackelton wrote:
Hi Jack

I love subtle humor.

NEVER say that on an airplane!!!
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2013 2:25 pm     Original Question

That could be, or probably is a Nick Manoloff bar from before the 1950's

Look at this: and then go to the search function above to confirm. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=202313&highlight=manoloff
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2013 6:22 pm    

Those tapered bars were designed for more accurate slants on the longer scale steels. Smile
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2013 5:05 am    

How does a tapered bar make for more accurate slants? the bottom of a cylinder is always directly under the core, regardless of diameter, and I always use my ears, not my eyes, to place a slant. I can slant in tune with a Stevens, a 3/4", 7/8" or 1" bar with equal (and usually sufficient) accuracy.
Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2013 6:23 am    

I've never seen such a thin bar, especially with a metal insert. I don't know what it could be made of, but the outside material is not metal.
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2013 7:24 am     Original Question

Right, the outside is Bakelite. It is a resinous, plastic-like material. The size was small because, at the time these were made, there were door-to-door salesmen selling lapsteels and lessons for a teacher who would either come to the home, or set up a local teaching location. A lot of ladies and children took up steel in the 30's-50's, a national craze really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2013 7:30 am    

I have one of the dark green ones similar to the pics above....I received in a case with a 41 new yorker.....
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2013 7:31 am    

I have one of the dark green ones similar to the pics above....I received in a case with a 41 new yorker.....
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2013 8:02 am    

Nick Manoloff did have his name on similar bars, mostly sold through "Ed Sale", who was the mail-order "Guitar Center" of the '40s, '50s, and '60s. Hawaiian guitar bars of the round type were often 1/2" or 9/16" in diameter, and the Bakelite bars, both solid and weighted, were very popular. Back in the day, they were preferred for their rather "sweet" sound and lack of string noise. Very Happy
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2013 8:47 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
How does a tapered bar make for more accurate slants? the bottom of a cylinder is always directly under the core, regardless of diameter, and I always use my ears, not my eyes, to place a slant. I can slant in tune with a Stevens, a 3/4", 7/8" or 1" bar with equal (and usually sufficient) accuracy.

Lane,
fwiw, Ray Montee showed me how he uses the tip of a tapered bar to do slants where the rounded tip allows you to play two adjacent strings as if the bar was laying straight across them, while also playing a 3rd string that could be one or two frets above or below the two adjacents.
For example, the tip could be playing strings 2 and 3 at fret5, and the other end could be playing string-5 at fret 3 or 4.
This type of slanting also predates what became standard 6th-tuning Pedal functions, for example.
Glenn Uhler

Trenton, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2013 10:21 am     Not all Bakelite bars

As noted, not all Bakelite bars were black. I played with one like the picture in July of 1960. It was a loner from my guitar teacher. Wish I still had it!

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2013 10:46 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
Lane Gray wrote:

Lane,
fwiw, Ray Montee showed me how he uses the tip of a tapered bar to do slants where the rounded tip allows you to play two adjacent strings as if the bar was laying straight across them, while also playing a 3rd string that could be one or two frets above or below the two adjacents.
For example, the tip could be playing strings 2 and 3 at fret5, and the other end could be playing string-5 at fret 3 or 4.
This type of slanting also predates what became standard 6th-tuning Pedal functions, for example.

What Pete said. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2013 2:51 pm     yep

Donny is right - in the 50's and 60's that is mostly what I saw other then the flat narrow ones.

They were Bakelite which is what pot and pan handles are made of - basically a special clay - many were filled with lead - I had one I carved my initial in the end of the lead - with my small hands (as a kid) I could not slant with a straight chrome bar. Like Pete said you could catch the top two strings on the same fret.

I teacher made me do that for hours and by the time I got it I had forgotten what I needed it for Very Happy - I think Oahu sold them too - but they were the go to place as far as I knew back then.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2013 9:20 am    

Bakelite was one of the first "plastics" if not the first. Really came in handy in military electronics in the '40s, and then went on to more phame and phortune.....

Somewhere between Vashon Island and The mainland.
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2013 10:13 am     Manoloff tortoise shell colored bar

I've got a Nick Manoloff bar, the bakelite is made to look like tortoiseshell. Has a white cap on the flat end with his name and a patent number.
It's about as wide as a 6 string neck, feels like it's got a metal weight inside.

Are these things worth anything, or are they even rare?

Play nice.

They is none else.
Glen E. Lanning

La Grange, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2013 1:53 pm    

I still have my "Black Rajah" tapered bar from the mid 50's. At the time I was taking lessons locally in Eastern Ohio by a Oahu Rep.- so my best guess is that they were sold under Oahu name. At the time we were taught on 6 strings steels and this bar was an improvement from the other bars up to that time. Here are the 3 bars I used until I went to homemade SS bars until I purchased a "professional" bar.

Peavey Session 400 Limited/Nashville 1000/Zoom RFX-2000/Peavey EQ-215 Equalizer/Nashville 112
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2013 2:53 pm    

Bob, Pete, you can do corner slants with round bars and Stevens bars.
They're all over this one, twice in the first 30 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC9MKCo8KL0
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2013 3:08 pm    

Thanks for posting that one, Lane. What a loss we all suffered nearly a year ago with Mike's passing. That old "8-String Swing" record is still one of my favorites!
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2013 8:36 am    

I enjoyed that video Lane but the 3-string technique using the nose of a tapered bar to keep two strings at he same notes while the 3rd string moves up and/or down, as shown to me by Ray, is different than the slant technique shown in the vid you posted.
I would agree there's a lot of slant techniques out there and folks have used all types of bars/grips/instruments/string-spacing/etc.
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2013 10:45 pm    

Does anyone else see a little face in the metal insert of Original Orangish bar?