| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My first pedal steel
Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2013 10:57 am    

It's been over six years since I took up the steel guitar after 40 years of playing regular six string. I had a Remington 8 string Steel that I used since I started. It has been fun and enlightening but I have made the jump to E9 pedal steel. I had considered switching in the past, but couldn't let go. I guess I finally got ready. I started playing steel because I loved the "Nashville sound". Well, I can now get started on it.
I ran across a used Sierra Artist pedal steel on the local Craigslist. It turns out it was in absolutely perfect almost mint condition. I was lucky enough to be able to sell my Remington to another forum member, a real nice young guy from South Georgia, Joshua Clements. I met up with Josh when he made a recent trip to the Atlanta area and we made the deal. the next day the guy with the Sierra delivered it to my house. That's what I call a super transaction! I guess it was divine intervention that made this deal go down so fast and easy.
I have already got started learning the harmonized scales and the "UP From the Top" Jeff Newman lessons.
I figured out how to play "Mansion on a Hill", Honkey Tonk Angels", and "A Teardrop On A Rose".
I am going to need a lot of help and it will take several months for me to become a half way decent player, but I am on my way.
Wish me luck friends, At 66 years old, I don't learn as easy as I did in high school.

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2013 1:54 pm    

Congratulations, and welcome to the "club". Lots of info and help here, and there are lots of great players in Georgia, so you're well on your way. Smile
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2013 2:41 pm    

Welcome M.S.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2013 4:19 pm    

Morgan, I've been playing pedal steel for thirteen years now and I think you've made a great choice to play pedal steel. It's one amazing instrument! When you get behind a pedal steel and play it for the first time, it's a great feeling! I started playing pedal steel on Christmas Day of 1999, and I've been amazed by it ever since. If you hit a wrong note, don't worry about it Concentrate on creating your own style and have fun with it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2013 5:17 pm    

Welcome aboard! You have picked the right instructions so you are off to a good start. Jeff's is the best I've found so far. You'll do well.
Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2013 8:54 am    

Thanks for the encouragement guys. It has been about five days now since I started and I feel like I have now found the Holy Grail. I was working on an ending in G that resolves to the third string on the tenth fret ( with the A&B pedals down). When I hit that ending, I was instantly hooked on the pedal steel. It was a common lick that I recognized from listening to country music since I was a six year old back in 1953.I must have heard it a million times, but it hit me like a bolt of lightning when I was actually playing it. I had the same feeling back in 1957 when I learned to smoothly play a C to G7 chord change on my six string Stella guitar.
I must have played that lick a hundred times. I am now off and running.

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2013 9:00 am    

Morgan, what a great post to see on here. You are an inspiration and encouragement to all of us "old newbies". I'm 57 and although I play several other instruments, just started on the lap steel and pedal steel recently. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress...maybe you can post some videos on youtube when you are comfortable with that. I'm sure we would all love to hear your music.

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2013 2:00 pm    

Thanks Jim, I have been at it for a few more days now and it is almost scaring me as to how much progress I have made. I guess all those years of practicing scales and chord patterns endlessly have finally come home to roost. It seems like now, I can play any song that I can sing or hum the melody. I have learned about six or eight old country songs strictly by ear since I don't know enough to do it any other way. It sure makes a big difference when you add the "pedal effect". I learned to play "Your Cheatin' Heart" in the key of C just on two frets ( 8&10)

Tifton, Georgia.
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 8:14 pm    

Hey Mr. Morgan, I am really glad to see you enjoying your new steel. I am certainly enjoying your old one. I have learned several of the Christmas songs from Doug's book that you gave me. I Just play them in A6 instead of C6. I have been playing San Antonio Rose, Faded Love, and Fraulein almost daily to commit them to memory. I bought a Hilton volume pedal off another forum member and have been using it as well. I hardly touch my six strings anymore. Who knew that steel would be so addicting. I really appreciate all the help and keep it up.
Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2013 6:42 am    

Just to update you guys on my progress so far..
I am working hard on using the A&B pedals and the A pedal/F knee lever. I have gotten to a point where I can play dozens of old country and gospel songs with the standard 1,4, 5 chord progression. I am getting used to the changes. It kind of reminds me of learning to drive a standard transmission 3 speed automobile back in 1963. At first you are a bit overwhelmed by the coordination needed to shift gears, press the clutch, brake and gas pedals. After a while you can get in the car, crank it up, drive it across town and not recall a single move that you made. I guess that learning to play the pedal steel is a lot like that.
I am really getting addicted to the F knee lever. At first it was kind of in my way. Now I have to set my left leg right next to it and snug up to it before I am ready to play. It really comes in handy to make a 1511 ending or turnaround.
Keep up the good work Josh. You are young and smart. In a few months, you will probably be teaching me.

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2013 9:30 am    

Hey Morgan, I , like yourself latched on to that F lever and thought I was making leaps and bounds. I decided to get some Pro instruction to further my joy of accomplishment and lo and behold I got my hand slapped for a bad habit. He said I've watched you and have to ask if you know what that LKR lever was for, I said yep I just don't use it much ( I use Emmons set up, lowering Es on left knee)His reply was I was as 'bout as far as I was going in my journey on the Steel. Ouch!! He got me started on the E lowers and it was like magic. His words: F lever is good for quick 7th and passing notes and an occasional quick find. So I got Jeff's D Lever course and that what turned it all on for me. I say : Thank you Rick Troyer for not blowin' smoke up my rump and telling me the truth. Morgan , watch your input and keep down your bad habits. Great bunch of guys here and are more than willing to help. Mr. Green
Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2013 10:05 am    

You are right Ray. I don't want to get "In a rut" with only a few licks to fall back on. I am in about my forth week of pedal steel and have a long way to go. I am currently taking a peek ahead at the B&C pedals (nice tone there) but I don't want to go too fast. One of the Youtube instructors ( The guy with the red pedal steel from West Virginia) said something about how important the two E knee levers are to steel playing. You can bet that I will take a hard look at that part. But, what you said is so true. I once played bass in a gospel group and we had a lead guitar player who almost always used the same lick for turnarounds and endings, no matter what song! I got pretty tired of hearing that lick!!

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2013 10:15 am    

Deleted
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 27 Dec 2013 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2013 10:32 am    

Don't want to shed no bad light on Rick but I took it as being said to a Noob and equal time and importance to both levers was needed and that was right for me because I improved greatly and the more advanced I got the more I seen the importance of that lever ( F Lever ) He was talking to a beginner. Every beginner course that I have of Jeff Newman relies heavily on the D Lever. Can't say about veteran and advanced yet. Smile
Dan Cope

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2013 11:26 am    

I've taken lessons from Rick for many years. He's an outstanding musician and a very accomplished steel player. I can assure this, he knows what the F lever is all about!!