| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Strings Buzzing
Bob Jackson

Regina Saskatchewan Canada
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2003 9:56 pm    

Hi
I Changed my strings a couple of days ago (GHS SUPER BOOMERS for Pedal Steel) and since doing this I seem to be getting a Buzzing or ringing from my wound strings(7-8-9-10) before changeing the strings I did not have this problem. Anyone have any ideas on what is causing this or how to fix it. Could it be a bad set of strngs?

Bob Jackson

MSA Classic S10
Nashville 400
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2003 5:24 am    

Sounds like roller nuts vibrating to me. If you put pressure on the string between the roller nut and the tuning key does the noise go away? If so, the hole the axle passes through in the rollers may have worn to the point that it's loose enough to buzz. The permanent solution is to find replacement rollers and the temporary solution is to try a SMALL drop of oil on either side of the rollers that buzz. I think I would just loosen the strings, remove the rollers, and lubricate the axle thoroughly. Then, replace the axle/rollers and rotate each to ensure it moves freely and doesn't stick. I do this every string change. It can prevent premature wear, as well.

There are many things, including bad strings, that can cause noise like you describe, but the roller is the first place to look.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 08 August 2003 at 06:28 AM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2003 5:44 am    

Do you have the strings on the rollers (at the nut end), or between them? That sounds like a dumb question, but I did see a new player do just that (run the strings between the rollers instead of on top of the rollers!)

Exactly when are they buzzing? Do you still notice it when you use the bar? Try pushing down firmly with a finger on each string. Do this on both sides of the roller nut, and where the strings come off of the bridge.

Make sure you don't cut the strings off before you you put them on. Trim them only after you have wound them around the tuning pegs, because sometimes cutting the string off before it's installed will allow the wrapping to loosen around the core.
Bud Harger

Belton, Texas by way of Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2003 11:02 am    

Donny,

"...cutting the string off before it's installed will allow the wrapping to loosen around the core." Wow! Now that's the first time I heard or thought about that!

I started cutting the strings before installation, some time ago following instructions on the Carter web-site on string installation. Since then (only occasionally), I get a "rattle". You may have hit on it! Thanks,

bUd
Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2003 4:56 am    

May sound silly but, check for lint at the changer under the string in question.

Carl West
Emmons LaGrande
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2003 6:46 am    

It is very true that the winding can (and often does) loosen when a string is cut. That usually causes a string going "dead" in a short time, but can also cause a buzz. Another way to prevent the string from loosening is to take your needle-nose pliers and put a 90-degree bend in the string at the point where you want to cut it, then cut it past the bend (on the side next to the portion to be discarded.) Carl, you may know that this is the way we did it when I was working at Fender. I think it was Gene Fields who taught me that trick.
Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2003 8:52 am    

Sure was Roy. That rascal had great ideas.
Too bad he wasn't allowed to expand on them.

Carl West
Scott Appleton

Ashland, Oregon
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2003 8:30 am    

i have a MSA Classic Xl D10 and the aluminum
rollers are a problem I have one failing now
and i do as others do roll it to a new position lub it and play I need to replace them they are 30 years
old.

------------------
MSA D10 Classic XL
Acoustic 165 100W tube
71 Tele, Regal 45, Gretch
Lap, Columbia Lap, Line 6