| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MarkBass 1x12 Combo- Combo bass amp for PSG?
Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2013 8:47 am    

I am fairly new to PSG, but have been a gigging bass player for quite a while. My bass rig consists of a MarkBass Mini CMD121P combo and matching MarkBass New York 121 cab. Basically, it is a 1x12 combo amp and matching 1x12 cab. The combo has a piezo tweeter with no way to disable easily that I can tell, the matching cab has an adjustable piezo tweeter.

My question is can playing PSG through this rig damage it in any way? (I'll judge sound for myself).

Many thanks in advance and here are some specs.....

Mini CMD 121P
SPEAKER
1x12"
TWEETER
piezo
BASS REFLEX
rear
IMPEDANCE
8 ohms
SPEAKER POWER HANDLING
400W RMS (AES Standard)
AMP OUTPUT POWER
500W @ 4 ohm / 300W @ 8 ohm
PREAMP:
solid state
FREQUENCY RESPONSE
45 Hz to 18 kHz
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY
3.5 kHz
SENSITIVITY
99 dB SPL
WEIGHT
29.3 lbs / 13.3 kg
HEIGHT
17 in. / 43.2 cm
WIDTH
15.3 in. / 38.3 cm
DEPTH
14.1 in. / 35.8cm

NEW YORK 121IMPEDANCE
8 ohms
SPEAKER SIZE
1x12 in.
BASS PORT
rear
TWEETER
piezo
POWER HANDLING
400W RMS (AES Standard)
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY
3.5 kHz
FREQUENCY RESPONSE
45 Hz to 18 kHz
SENSITIVITY
100 dB SPL
WEIGHT
28.44 lbs / 12.9 kg
WIDTH
15.3 in. / 38.3 cm
HEIGHT
17 in. / 43.2 cm
DEPTH
14.1 in. / 35.8 cm
Miguel Saldana

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2013 9:28 am    

To address your question, the PSG as an instrument won't damage your amplifier or speakers. As with any amplifier and instrument, if you have everything maxed out to 10 and the speakers are very closely matched or underrated for the power the amplifier is producing, you risk taking things to a point where something may get damaged. Just use your ears and common sense.

I've played my PSG through an Ashdown 2x10 bass amp mini-rig with good tonal results before, although it did not have tweeters.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2013 10:57 am    

That should handle anything your steel can throw at it.

My experience with piezo tweets is negative but as per your post, it's for your ears to decide.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2013 11:46 am    

Because of the precision in mid-range tone controls, I have long been an advocate of modern bass heads for steel guitar, but the speakers - well, only your ears will tell. A lot of bass cabinets sound really harsh to me in the treble range, but if you can safely disengage the horns or tweeters it may be great. Most steel guitarists chase after a dead-clean sound as a starting point, and use speakers that the rest of society considers to be "P.A." speakers.
Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2013 12:35 pm    

Thanks for the input guys. Good thing is I have one cab with non-attenuated tweeter and one cab with an attenuated tweeter (on/off), so I can play around with them. Some bass players have unhooked the tweeter permanently and liked it, while others say unhooking it takes something out of the tone. I'm thinking most of those that say unhooking the tweeter takes something out of the sound are also players that are doing a lot of slap bass. Since I'm not a slap and pop type player, I'll just play around with it and see what happens. It would be nice to have a lightweight powerful combo I can take to a gig and use it for whichever instrument I'm asked to show up with- PSG or bass. Wish me luck!!