| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Vince Gill and Paul Franklin
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2013 10:36 am    

It seems that the press can't say enough good things about Bakersfield. Here's another article, this one in American Songwriter:

www.americansongwriter.com/2013/10/vince-gill-paul-franklin-full-circle

They'll be performing here in Sonoma County later this month! Very Happy

Orlando, Florida, USA; Formerly, Edison, NJ
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2013 12:29 pm    

WOW!!! Cool Cool

It don't get better than that!! Merle & Buck, Vince & Paul!! Gotta get "Bakersfield" Pronto!! TX

Rgds,

Ron
"67" All Original Telecaster & Original Owner
"86" Peavey Factory Modified NV 400,
"60"Fender Concert Amp 4-10"s, RV-3, Upgraded chip set GE-7 EQ, CH1 Chorus, DS-1, Hilton, BJS Bar.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2013 12:43 pm    

Bob, where are your tickets? We're in the sixth or seventh row on the right side facing the stage.

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2013 12:56 pm    

Got my copy & play it often!
Top stuff. Very Happy
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2013 1:20 pm    

I'm not sure, Mark. Stan bought them. See you there!

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2013 3:15 pm    

It really is a great CD and it's reminded me that it was Buck and Merle who caught my ear back in the '60s, not any of the more traditional singers.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2013 11:53 pm    

Gonna see em here in Bakersfield on the 25th, can't wait.
Steve Pawlak

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2013 6:27 am    

Mesa Az Next Thursday nite Can't wait
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2013 6:55 am    

After hearing about the Bakersfield CD, I purchased it and wow was I impressed. It really hits home for me. It's what I really enjoy listening to and playing. Paul is a super player and I admire him immensely and I have great respect for Vince. He writes and performs my kind of music and always chooses the right musicians to enhance his musical thoughts. Every time I listen to that CD, I get lost in the greatness of it. Vince chose the music of two icons to replicate and did it well. All I do is smile and get drawn in to the aura of the music. They're a great team, Paul and Vince. To miss them playing live would be a tragedy. I wouldn't pass up a show.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2013 7:28 am    

All of us here are enamored with the musicianship of Paul Franklin, and that’s as it should be. But one aspect of this fine CD that seems somewhat overshadowed is the very tasteful guitar work of Vince Gill. The “Bakersfield Sound” would not be the same without the Telecaster, and Mr. Gill absolutely nails it here. Don Rich, Roy Nichols, and Buck Owens must all be smiling from somewhere.

This album was an instant classic upon its release. Hope there’s a Volume II in the works!
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2013 3:18 pm    

Jack brings up something that also hit me, Vince's beautiful understated playing. There were no surprises in Paul's performance and I mean that in an absolute positive way. He has set his own bar so high that we expect perfection and innovation every time out. Vince can be such a fiery player that it was surprising to see him take it in the other direction. His extended solo at the end of "Holding Things Together" is one of the high points of the CD for me.

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2013 4:55 pm     Bakersfield

I agree totally Clyde, Holding things together is my favorite cut on the cd and Vince's work is superb. A good friend and fellow steel and guitar player called me yesterday and said the same thing.
Billy Tam
Emmett Roch

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2013 8:40 pm    

We've been needing a CD like "Bakersfield" for a long time. Need some new superlatives to describe it, too.

Elizabethtown Ky, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2013 12:05 pm    

I had the pleasure of hearing Paul and Vince with The Time Jumpers last night where they did "Together Again". Between that, and Paul's solo on "Sweet Memories" I'm not ashamed to say that there was a little bit of a tear in my eye it was so good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DHey4ENWOA&feature=youtu.be
Richard Nelson

Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2013 8:01 am    

I hate to have to say this but don't you think the bass and drums are a bit loud in the mix ?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChkzP48NKKSiredddt-NGEQ?view_as=public

www.myspace.com/ricknelsteel
Mike Daly

Tennessee
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2013 6:39 am    

No...just right...
Tab Tabscott

Somewhere between Vashon Island and The mainland.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2013 6:47 am    

I like it that there is hardly any fiddle on the thing.

Play nice.

They is none else.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2013 8:25 pm    

I saw their live show last night in Bakersfield...fabulous show! Paul was not feeling well and had to bolt from the stage for a few songs, but did return to close out the show. Vince was amazing. Band was top NV pro's, including David Hungate on bass, Dawn Sears on amazing harmony vocals.

Andy Sandoval, sorry we didnt' connect there!

And the show was really long, started about 7:30, didn't end till 10:50. One long intermission. Both Vince and Paul were given keys to the city by the Bakersfield mayor.
Bob Hickish

Port Ludlow, Washington, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2013 6:05 am    

Sorry to hear Paul was not feeling well - from a report i got from Bakersfield, he still impressed my reporter - here is what they told me
Paul playing with Vince...., i have to say.... He sounded Great.... They either show cased his playing... Or he is just really good  

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2013 10:26 am    

Quote:
They either show cased his playing... Or he is just really good

Cool
Paul Boden

Santa Rosa California
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2013 6:20 pm    

See yah there b0b
Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2013 1:26 pm    

I was just going to comment on this album after giving it some good listens. I love both Gill and Franklin as players but I really feel both them and the album are a bit too clean and "slick" for the real bakersfield thing. Maybe its just me but I greatly preferred the way Dwight Yoakam did Buck on his Dwight Sings Buck album. Not necessarily a critisicm as much as a preference. I'll still be listening to this album plenty to steal licks from Vince though.
Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2013 1:56 pm    

My favorite part of the album so far isn't even the pedal steel. I really like the guitar solo outro on "Holding Things Together". It's sublime.
Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2013 4:46 pm    

Dustin Rhodes wrote:
I was just going to comment on this album after giving it some good listens. I love both Gill and Franklin as players but I really feel both them and the album are a bit too clean and "slick" for the real bakersfield thing. Maybe its just me but I greatly preferred the way Dwight Yoakam did Buck on his Dwight Sings Buck album. Not necessarily a critisicm as much as a preference. I'll still be listening to this album plenty to steal licks from Vince though.

It's a Nashville take on classic Bakersfield songs, and it does have a slicker production going on than anything Ken Nelson ever produced.
It doesn't have that raw edge to it, not saying it's a bad thing, just kind of safe and predictable. Lot of good music on there anyways.

BTW I did go see them on Sunday night, and it was worth every penny. Paul was up in the mix for every fill and solo, and got ovations after every ride. The audience really loved what Paul was doing, and so did I...
Would have liked to heard Stuart Duncan take a few more rides, or stayed out and played with Vince when he did his 30 minute acoustic guitar set.
Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2013 10:48 am    

Alvin Blaine wrote:
Dustin Rhodes wrote:

It's a Nashville take on classic Bakersfield songs, and it does have a slicker production going on than anything Ken Nelson ever produced.
It doesn't have that raw edge to it, not saying it's a bad thing, just kind of safe and predictable. Lot of good music on there anyways.

BTW I did go see them on Sunday night, and it was worth every penny. Paul was up in the mix for every fill and solo, and got ovations after every ride. The audience really loved what Paul was doing, and so did I...
Would have liked to heard Stuart Duncan take a few more rides, or stayed out and played with Vince when he did his 30 minute acoustic guitar set.

I think for me its just imagining these takes being played in an oil town barroom and it just doesn't stick for me. The playing is great though. If I can seperate it in my head from the bakersfield sound and original artist its a seriously great album if that makes sense.

I would love to see those 2 together live. That old tele of Vince's is one of the most incredible sounding 6 strings out there.