| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Black Box
Dennis Rehrig

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2013 6:40 am    

THE SGBB IS IT ALSO A PREAMP.DOSE IT HAVE A PREAMP CONTROLL KNOB.
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2013 7:15 am    

No, it's technically a "buffer" because it has no gain. The output signal level is exactly as loud as the input signal. BUT the signal is driven by a vacuum tube and the output has a very low impedance which means it can drive miles of cable, pedals, etc. without tone loss. The tube circuit works quite a bit of tonal magic. Most people describe it as "warm", "sweet", "rich", "3D", "responsive", etc.

In addition to the sweetened treble and the rich midrange, the real bonus is that it lets you get a very balanced steel guitar tone all the way from the lowest lows to the highest highs. The low wound strings can be nice and clear and at the same time the high registers are not harsh at all, not overly bright, just really smooth and sweet, all really balanced.

The only control on the SGBB is the input vari-Z knob. That works as a type of tone control for your pickup and helps you dial in just the right amount of pickup bite.

But technically it's not a "preamp" because it doesn't boost or add gain to your signal. It's meant to go before your volume pedal.

www.sarnomusicsolutions.com
Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2013 11:09 am    

And just to clarify, the SGBB can work it's magic with regard to lap steels and "regular" guitars also, correct?
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2013 12:52 pm    

Absolutely.

Actually, these days I'm selling as many or more Black Boxes to pro's who are amplifying piezo equipped acoustic instruments; bass, guitar, fiddle, mando, etc. It works wonders on piezos. And sure, any magnetic pickup, electric bass, guitar, lap steel, etc.

Brad
Dennis Rehrig

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2013 5:11 pm     Steelguitar Black Box

THANKS FOR THE INFO.
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2013 8:39 pm    

I never leave home without my Black Box even though I seldom leave home. Just kidding!

There is not an instrument I have that has not beel through a BB. I even have a Dean Standup stick bass in my studio with a Pierzo pickup that the BB makes the bass sound more like an upright than fretless bass. How cool is that?

Brad: If you jump in again I have a question? I recently picked up a Tascam 8 track
digital recorder just to record myself. I have an AKG studio mike on a short 3 foot
XLR cable. Can I I use an XLR to 1/4" jack to the BB then to the recorder? The mic takes phantom power. I really don't want to spend mega bucks on a tube mike. Just a thought?

Lenny
Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2013 7:45 am     New Black Box User

I just got my BB (Thanks Brad) I'm using it in front of a Sarno V8 into a Genz Benx half rack Class D power amp. I am currently using a Telonics 1x12" cab.

The variable impedance is the key to dial in the perfect load on the PU and thus the ultimate tone. I found the Var Z pot to be pretty sensitive - minor adjustments can make a difference.

My son bought one for his bass rig and loves his new found tone. He is experimenting with different tubes and says he can really hear a difference.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2013 8:19 am    

Here's something kinda interesting... I made this recording with no preamp. Just an Emmons pp into the black box, wet reverb, mcintosh mc50, jbl k130. It would never cut it for a gig, or even a live session, but it sounded right to me that day so that's what I did.

http://theprecipice.bandcamp.com/album/the-precipice-2013-sampler
Track 8 - Kat Wright & Brett Hughes "Windy Pines"