| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul & the Time Jumpers Live
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2013 5:20 pm    

I don't know how many of you knew that the Time Jumpers were being streamed live from the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival today. Just got done watching them. Unfortunately, I missed the first 15 or so minutes. They played for maybe an hour from what I gather. They should have had 4 hours.

You know, with another year or so of practice, they might be pretty good. Some unknown guy on steel. I think they said it was some guy named Paul Franklin. Watch for this guy. He may just turn into someone famous. Laughing Laughing

OK, so that last paragraph was all in fun. The quality of the broadcast was great. The band, of course, was spectacular. I am a huge Dawn Sears fan, and I don't think I have ever heard her sound better than she did today. She is looking real good too.

What really amazes me is, they have 10 instrumentalists on stage, and never did it sound "crowded". And, they all smile and look like they really enjoy what they are doing (and I am sure they do). One of my highlights is watching Joe Spivey. That man is having the time of his life.

Of course, now they are broadcasting some piece of crap rock band called Gogol Bordello. I feel my dinner coming back up on me.

They may have the concert archived (not sure). Here is the link that might have it. It wasn't on there yet, but I checked right after their set ended, so it may take a little time.

http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2013/webcast/archive.html
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2013 12:25 am    

Just watched the show! Click here.
Thanks to Jim Cohen for this link in his thread.
Jump to ~ 6:25 to ~7:14 for the Time Jumpers performance.
Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2013 2:25 am    

Wow...Thanks Richard and Clete.

Andrew Roblin
International Sho-Bud Brother & Sisterhood
Member #79, Janitor
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 7 Oct 2013 2:56 am    

oh man, awesome. Thanks fellas and Jim Cohen!

Franklin sounds fantastic, Dawn sounds great,boy what a gal, Vince, Kenny, Andy, hell, what a band!

Yeah, I'm with you regarding Dawn Sears, Richard. The youtube rendition of Sweet Memories performed by Dawn and the Time Jumpers just breaks me up. It also features a guy named John Hughey, a steelman I think you might enjoy Richard! Laughing
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2013 8:01 am    

i can't figure out how to bring up the tjs. clicked on their box, etc.
Ian Sutton

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2013 8:03 am    

I was fortunate enough to catch this in-person yesterday. There were a lot of stand out bands at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass this year, but for me, The Time Jumpers were such a treat.

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2013 11:16 am    

chris, just click the link in my post and forward to 6 hours and 25 minutes for the time jumpers show.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2013 1:29 pm    

I sincerely believe the Time Jumpers are the best band I've ever heard. Thanks Clem, for turning me on to them. One of several You Tube versions of Sweet Memories is from the DVD Jumpin' Time. Hughey, not Franklin, and no Vince Gill. Carolyn Martin joins Dawn, Kenny, and Doug on vocals. It rarely gets better than what's on that DVD, IMO.
Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2013 5:31 am    

Nice find Richard.
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2013 9:11 am    

I think some members aren't really aware of the annual Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival and the sheer magnitude of the thing - three days and a crowd estimate of something like 700,000 this year. There's people in my own town, an hour or so north of the Golden Gate Bridge who have never even heard of the thing, and it's been going on in the first week of October for 13 years now.

It's a lot to bite off and chew. You really have to suck it up and want to go. And as you add more birthdays on the calendar it sure doesn't get any easier. But if you do, and you get there early enough and secure a spot not too far from the stage of your choice to lay out your tarp and low-back chairs, it's worth it.

I typically go to all three days, but I opted out of Sunday this year when The Time Jumpers played. October is usually the sunniest month of the year anyway in SF, but often you'll get some morning fog to keep things on the cool side.

Not this year - we were in blazing sun on Friday and Saturday from about 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until we got some blessed shade from the sun disappearing behind the tall eucalyptus trees. After two days in that heat I was wiped out.

So I bailed on going down on Sunday and unfortunately missed The Time Jumpers, but it was sort of a strategic move. I saw them in their first visit to Hardly Strictly last year and I'll be seeing the Vince Gill Band featuring Vince, Paul, Dawn, et al in a few weeks when they come to Santa Rosa on tour to support the Bakersfield album, and we have seats in the sixth row in a theater that seats about 1800. So I'm good.

If you can't be at Hardly Strictly or live in the region but elect not to go, these streaming broadcasts are easily the best I've seen from a music festival, hands down.

If you're having trouble summoning the time Jumpers and other sets on the website, click on the box for the band name, then look above on your screen and you should see a mini-screen of the video you selected.

My favorite sets of the weekend: The Seldom Scene and Bonnie Raitt on Friday, and the Holler Down the Hollow Salute to the Masters set, and the Jerry Douglas Band set with Alison Krauss on four songs on Saturday.

During the Holler/Salute, which is on the website for your viewing pleasure, Jerry takes the stage midway through the set and pays tribute to the late Mike Auldridge with a rollicking version of Mike's tune Rock Bottom, and gets help from the likes of Bryan Sutton, Alison Brown, and Tim O'Brien. It kicked a$$! I predict this number will be on the dobro trio album that Mike, jerry, and Rob Ickes recorded before Mike's passing in 2012, and it should be released early 2014. Before the next song Jerry introduced Emmylou who paid tribute to Mike, and joining in on harmony vocals was Vince Gill for Satan's Jewel Crown which Emmy recorded with Mike on dobro in the '70s on her Elite Hotel album. Beautifully done, and Jerry just killed on his Beard JD Serial #1. Cool

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2013 9:45 am    

Any body know how to record this webcast for future viewing?
Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2013 2:40 pm    

Andy - If you use firefox browser, their is an add-on that should dowmload the stream. I have used it with Utube to save videos.