| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NOS Mullard in Black Box
Jeff Pickering

Wichita, Kansas
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2013 3:50 am    

I replaced the tube in my Steel Guitar Black Box last night with a 1960 NOS Mullard 12ax7. I'm not sure how much to attribute to the placebo effect or maybe the nos tube kool-aid, but it sounds simply unbelievable now. All I can say is wow...
Boss GX700
1969 Fender Twin Reverb w/JBL's
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2013 6:50 am    

Amazing tube, no placebo.

B
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2013 10:45 am    

Jeff, is there a source for more of those tubes? Is it hard to swap tubes in the Black Box?
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2013 11:13 am    

Great-sounding tube, in any application. My most favorite is still the Telefunken 12AX7 though. Mullard made the best-sounding 6L6 type tube, it's EL37. Phenomenal!
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2013 2:39 pm    

John McClung wrote:
Jeff, is there a source for more of those tubes? Is it hard to swap tubes in the Black Box?

They aren't making any more... and the price of NOS has gone up consistently. Expect to pay at least $100 for one... even more for the more desirable 'long-plate' ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-MATCHED-1958-MULLARD-ECC83-12AX7-LONG-PLATE-GOALPOST-TEST-NOS-FREE-WORLD-SHIP-/251349246793

Note that other examples on eBay are 'new', e.g. reissues, and much cheaper. These are 'test as NOS', so not true NOS... and still over 370$ BIN.

I've found several by buying old PA's etc... they're still out there, hiding in old equipment.

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2013 2:49 am    

I had a Presonus Dual Blue Tube preamp. I replaced the original (China) 12AX7 with a NOS RCA 12AX7. Made the preamp useable.

I've since sold the Presonus and went on to a real/better high voltage tube mic preamp (what I was using the Presonus for in my recording studio).
Jeff Pickering

Wichita, Kansas
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2013 5:24 am    

John...there are lots of these tubes available on ebay and on other websites..just be prepared to pay as they are spendy!

I got mine from the guy who works on my amps. He's a old tube aficionado and suggested it. I had been a bit skeptical about the difference that was possible, but at least in this case, the difference was very obvious.

Jeff
Boss GX700
1969 Fender Twin Reverb w/JBL's
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2013 6:33 am    

Many/most of these vintage 12AX7's will sound great in the Black Box. I like Telefunkens for their big, clean, and neutral tonality. Sylvanias have a particular sweetness to them. GE's are balanced and great. Mullards are lively sounding, clear. Tung-Sol's are real good all around. Raytheon's are good, Amperex, Tungsram..., all good.

See if your tube dealer can test for low microphonics. And don't be afraid to buy an old "used-tested-good" tube. You may still get 10+ years out of one. Many vintage used tubes are far better and will last far longer than brand new modern tubes.

Among my favorites in the Black Box for pedal steel use are the RCA 7025's or 12AX7's. They have a great punchy feel and solidity (like many of these old tubes do) and also this big, rich, musical midrange and a warm and silky top end. The RCA's tend to soften that glassy, brittle high treble more than some others. They're not dark sounding, it's just that the very top end is especially warming to steel guitar pickups. Sometimes people struggle to tame that icy, glassy, crispy treble we get when amplifying pedal steel guitar. While the Black Box really specializes in helping that issue, the RCA's in particular naturally help out even more in that department.

B

www.sarnomusicsolutions.com
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2013 4:03 pm    

Brad Sarno wrote:
Many/most of these vintage 12AX7's will sound great in the Black Box. I like Telefunkens for their big, clean, and neutral tonality. Sylvanias have a particular sweetness to them. GE's are balanced and great. Mullards are lively sounding, clear. Tung-Sol's are real good all around. Raytheon's are good, Amperex, Tungsram..., all good.

See if your tube dealer can test for low microphonics. And don't be afraid to buy an old "used-tested-good" tube. You may still get 10+ years out of one. Many vintage used tubes are far better and will last far longer than brand new modern tubes.

Among my favorites in the Black Box for pedal steel use are the RCA 7025's or 12AX7's. They have a great punchy feel and solidity (like many of these old tubes do) and also this big, rich, musical midrange and a warm and silky top end. The RCA's tend to soften that glassy, brittle high treble more than some others. They're not dark sounding, it's just that the very top end is especially warming to steel guitar pickups. Sometimes people struggle to tame that icy, glassy, crispy treble we get when amplifying pedal steel guitar. While the Black Box really specializes in helping that issue, the RCA's in particular naturally help out even more in that department.

B

www.sarnomusicsolutions.com

Any specific ones to look for? Ebay or? My Franklin is sounding pretty bright through the BB Mesa Studio.

Been wanting to try something else. What came in my BB?

bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZlAdlrRYj0

http://www.reverbnation.com/bobsnelgrove

1978 Crawford Emmons P/P
1976 Tommy White P/P
1986 Franklin D-10
Jim Priebe

Queensland, Australia - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2013 2:00 am    

I bought a few shuagangs and each one is slightly different the one in now is brilliant and totally noise free. I have a mullard but haven't tried it yet. there is a businessman near me that has all that stuff - have a look at
www.evatco.com.au
the first shuagang went off after 12 months of hard use -still works but not like new.
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2013 3:15 am    

OK, I agree that NOS 12ax7 or 7025 are great and are the holy grail of tubes.

However, what new tubes are available and acceptable for preamp tubes? I just bought a Mesa Boogie Transatlantic head for a specific application. Guess what? The tubes are from China Whoa! The amp sounds great and quiet. Don't know how long they will last though?

So once again, what new, reasonable cost tube is acceptable?
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2013 12:07 pm    

I tried a vintage RCA tube based on Brad's post. First impression is very good.