| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal rod thread size..
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2013 11:38 am    

Ok, I'm confused.. I made a couple last summer for a sho bud, and I used a 10-32 die.. No problems.. However, I have run into a problem i have seen before.. If I use a 10-32 die on the new quick connect I just got for my Marlen, the 10-32 is way too small.. I know I have had this problem before years ago, and wound up buying new pedal rods instead of making them... However, I HAVE made a bunch with no issues at all for a few different steels.. What am I doing wrong here?? Does it have something to do with the fact that on a new rod, the threads are roll/raised cut, instead of kind of flat when done with a hand die??.. I just don't remember how I did this in the past, but I just made 2 last summer with no problem..... I have to make 1 for the Marlen ,[pedal 4 and 2 for an MSA [pedals 4 and 5] HELP!!! bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2013 12:34 pm    

I'd take the connector to the hardware store and determine its size, and either make a rod to fit; or find a connector to fit the rod.
Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2013 12:43 pm    

Bob,

I'll weigh in here even though I've not seen a Marlen pedal rod.

To my knowledge, all of the manufacturers used the smallest quick connect that is commercially available which is a #10-32 thread on both the ball stud and the coupler in both the 90° and 180° configurations. The exceptions are Emmons which I believe made their own rod end and a stud with a spring steel retaining clip and of course Fender (cable guitars) where they had their own rod ends custom manufactured with an #8-32.

Many of the newer guitars utilize the smaller diameter Ø.106-.109 rod with a rolled thread in order to save a bit of weight. Other than that, everyone else has used either stainless or carbon steel Ø.187(3/16") rod and cut the #10-32 thread.

I believe that your problem lies within the coupling itself. These are NOT precision made parts and although I cannot locate any spec with the thread tolerance callout, I believe that they are manufactured to a Class 3B thread tolerance. This is the sloppiest fit class. Most of them are also made offshore and imported.

As I have handled more than a thousand of these connectors already, I can say that some have a very clean and tight internal thread and some are as loose as an old ....... Check the threads that you cut with a few of the other connectors that you have to verify that it may be the thread in the specific one you are trying to use.

The next connector thread size up is a 1/4-28 but I really doubt that a connector that big would have been used on a PSG. If, by chance, it is a 1/4-28 connector, your #10-32 threaded rod will simply SLIP into it. The minor diameter (tap drill) for a 1/4-28 is a #3(Ø.213") which is approx. .023" larger than the nominal O.D. of the #10-32 thread.

Like I said, you most likely have a crappy connector or the thread you cut is undersize more than it should be. If your threading die is a split adjustable, open it up and cut some test threads then slowly adjust the die until you get a good fit in the connector. If it is a fixed die, either it's dull causing it to swage and tear the material from the rod or you aren't getting a straight start on the rod causing it to cut crooked and over cut the thread. If you don't have any thread cutting oil, it's about $3.50 at Lowe's or Home Depot in the plumbing dept.

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2013 4:31 pm    

I'm a moron.. I was using a slightly smaller diameter rod,and of course it wasn't cutting deep enough.. It was a simple matter of me trying to work without my glasses on... FOOL!....

I just made the Marlen rod, no problem... duh.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Last edited by Bob Carlucci on 15 Sep 2013 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2013 5:48 am    

Bob -

To add a touch of "geekiness" to Michael's post, it is well to note that the major diameter of a #10 machine screw is .190". This is only a couple of thou greater than 3/16" rod - .188" Doesn't amount to a hill of beans as far as the "fit" of the thread.