| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Problem with Emmons Legrand II
Dave Moore

Spring Gully, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2003 5:38 am    

Here's a problem I had a couple of months back that I thought worth posting in case anyone out there has the same.
At a gig one night my sound suddenly disappeared and came back in and out intermittently. I changed leads, took my effects out, and as I play with two amps new it wasn't there, anyway it appeared to right itself. It worked fine for the next couple of shows, but then did the same again. The only apparrent common factor was that these were the only nights I played with a particular lead guitarist, who was very involved in electronics and midi toys. I then sourced an isolated power supply but to no avail, then I noticed that if I put a little pressure on the side of my pickup, that my signal came back. I then checked the pickup wiring, and removed the pickup to find the broken tail of a string was intermittently shorting out my pickup. Easy enough to fix by placing a layer of insulation tape over the base of the pickup, but with the design of the mechanism allowing tails to get there, I can't imagine how this isn't done at the factory. My guitar is only about twenty months old. The other thing I did following this was to cut a piece of light foam and place it in the gap behind the fingers so that no tails can get to the pickup or in the mechanics of the guitar. Hope this may just help someone. I was real frustrated for a time but still love my Emmons.
Regards form downunder.
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2003 8:14 am    

Dave...it must be DUS (Down Under Syndrom). Up here, the "tails" fall into the changer! The foam is the most common cure to keep them in place.