| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lee Jeffriess' Trill Technique
Marc Weller

Upland, Ca. 91784
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 11:13 pm    

Group,

I picked up Big Sandy's "Night Tide" cd earlier this week and I was wondering if anyone could explain Lee's trill technique which he utilizes throughout the album.

MW

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 11:26 pm    

What exactly is a Trill Technique? I haven't heard of that one before and if you can enlighten us; we may learn something.
I know Lee well and know all his techniques and can probably tell you how he is doing what is in question; but I don't understand the question yet.
Ricky
Marc Weller

Upland, Ca. 91784
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 7:35 am    

Ricky,

I really appreciate your reply. I'm referring to a 16th note triplet from A to B that he uses on his solo on "Night Tide" (and elsewhere). I'd call this a "trill" on a wind instrument. I guess I'd call it a "hammer on" on a guitar. Is he simply hammering the bar on the second fret on the open A string?
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 9:17 am    

Yes Marc you got it pal. Lee played that on the A6th tuning and that would be the Hammer on your talkin' about; and steel players do call it a Hammer on also; so it's ok.
Have fun.
Ricky
Marc Weller

Upland, Ca. 91784
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 9:28 am    

Ricky,

Thanks. I sure am having fun playing this thing. I've been a guitar player for 35 years but I didn't take up steel until about a year ago. Got through DeWitt's book and now I'm picking out licks from records. It really helps to know the tunings! Last night was the first time I played steel with my band. I just whipped out my Dickerson for one of our swing tunes and surprised everyone. I'll be using it at our next gig and, hopefully, forever after. Thanks for the help.

Marc Weller
'60 Stringmaster T-8
'41 Dickerson
'40 Gibson EH-150
'29 Model A Ford
wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 9:33 am    

Is this the same as the "bar hopping" technique such as that done on "Remington Ride"? If so, then that was invented, and credit given to Noel Boggs. On his ISGHF plaque it so states. The "bar quakeing", which is side to side rather than up and down,technique was invented and credit given to Curly Chalker.
Marc Weller

Upland, Ca. 91784
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 11:11 am    

Wayne,

So is this a side to side wiggle on adjacent open strings ? Where can I hear "Remington Ride" ? Does this title refer to Herm Remington ?

MW

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 12:42 pm    

I would defer to Ernest Bovine's greater knowledge, but I believe that, technically, a "hammer-on" is the technique used to accomplish a "trill," which is the rapid movement from a lower note to a higher note.

Conversely, "pull-off" is used to produce a "mordent," which is a rapid movement from a higher note to a lower note.

I believe the techniques are as old as Hawaiian guitar itself.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Homesite

billchav

Houston, TX USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 7:05 pm    

"Little Roy" Wiggins and Billy Robinson were masters at the art of trilling as was done by the old timers. Listen to their work with George Morgan and the early Eddy Arnold recordings. Herb Remington does a form of hammer-on and pull offs "bar bounce" on Remington Ride that is altogether different style than trill.They alternated picking the first,second or first,third string. Bill C
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 8:49 pm    

Listen CLOSELY to any old Tex Williams, Spade Cooley and/or Smokey Rogers records and at almost any time during Juaqin Murphy's single string, faster than lightening, run...you will likely hear him using that little triplet "thingy". It's a good affect, takes no real SPEED to accomplish....mostly TIMING in actually picking the strings involved.

It just puts a little pazzaz in your melody line run...Eh?
wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 7:23 am    

Herb Remington, Jerry Byrd, adn Buddy Emmons are just a few who have recorded Herb's song.