| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  S12 Emmons P/P with Denim finish
Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 6:17 am    

Hey guys, several years ago Elderly Instruments sold a S12 Emmons P/P that had an unusual finish that looked like Denim. Does anyone here know who owns it? It didn't look like it was in great shape, but I might be interested in buying it.
Thanks,
Dave
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 8:28 am    

the worse shape the better. you want holes and rips in your denim now.
Jimmy Douglas

Raceview, Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2013 12:40 am    

Dave,

Was this the one? I don't have it but here are some pics which might jolt a memory.....Any chance of some pictures of your Basketweave D12?

I would like to find a S12 single frame Lacquer wood neck....Or mica(basket weave) wood neck

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2013 5:10 am    

I love seeing the unusual finishes of Emmons steels. The denim one pictured in this thread is great.

I remember seeing a thread many years ago on the Forum that pictured a push/pull with the basketweave finish. Anybody have one they could show or, for that matter, any other with an odd or rare finish?
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2013 9:43 am    

I may have dreampt (hallucinated?) this, but I thought Mike Jones has/had a basket weave D10.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 23 Aug 2013 9:46 am    

I just Googled Mike "Cookie" Jones and found this pic. Hope he doesn't mind me posting it.

EDIT: Just went back and looked at the full size view of this pic, and it is on a LeGrande. But it should look the same on a p/p.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 23 Aug 2013 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2013 11:16 am    

I've never seen one up close, but I'm told the basket weave on the mica was textured, and not just just a flat printed pattern.

Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2013 1:01 pm     Emmons basket weave guitar

Charlie McVay up in the western PA area owns an Emmons D 10 PP basket weave guitar.

Ray DeVoe
Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2013 1:55 pm    

Jimmy, that looks like the one with the denim finish.
I do still own a D12 Basketweave PP Emmons. I'll take some pictures and post them in the near future. The finish is very textured and wacky. I'll try and get a close up to show that. That particular Emmons has wood necks. My other D12 PP in Rosewood has aluminum necks and 3 pickups on each neck. I'll post pictures of it as well. That one was owned by Johnny Fields. I will probably sell the Basketweave since I haven't touched it in many years. The Rosewood one is very interesting to play as the pickups get some great unusual sounds.
Dave
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 23 Aug 2013 7:13 pm    

I think this is the first time I have ever seen the top of a basket weave guitar, just the front apron shots of Mike's guitar. Can't say I care for it on the SD10 (the black pad ruins the effect), but on the D10, it is gorgeous.
Jimmy Douglas

Raceview, Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2013 11:28 pm    

Dave, Look forward to seeing some pics of your guitars. The weave finish is great! Good luck finding the denim loafer.

JD
Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2013 5:59 am    

Back in the late 70's, I purchased an S10 Blue Denim Emmons PP from Clem Schmitz when he had his store in Minneapolis. That is the one guitar I regret selling and wish I could buy back. I now have a black SD10 PP that I like very much but I kinda miss the old blue denim. Unfortunately, I don't even have a picture, just the memories.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2013 7:57 am    

Russ Pahl used to play a basketweave push/pull in the Twin Cities back in the late seventies or early eighties. It was indeed textured. Think it was a D-10, but it may have been a D-12. I'm sure there are many who remember this guitar.
Brian C Peters

Eagan Minnesota
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2013 8:17 am    

Russ had this one and I believe someone else had one in the Twin Cities area.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2013 8:39 am    

Thanks, Brian. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Hope that Russ will see it!

Dave, I also remember that rosewood D-12 with pickups all over the place that Johnny Fields used to play. It had the absolute maximum number of pedals and knee levers that could possibly be hung on a D-12. The rumor at the time was that D-12 formerly belonged to "The Big E." The thing weighed a ton! Still have the vivid memory of John struggling down the sidewalk on East Lake Street from the bus stop en route to Suneson's Music Center's weekly Saturday morning jam carrying that guitar case.
Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2013 12:33 pm    

I remember the guitar Russ owned it was the only one that I ever remember seeing, it was very cool!

Yes, that D10 of John's was a beast of a guitar. One almost needed a rigger to move that thing around.

BTW: I also was one who hung around Clem's store in Mpls in the late 70's to early 80's

Robert