| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  question on puttin on new strings?
Jack Ritter

Enid, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 11:02 am    

Like on strings 1, 2, 3, I always make enuff wraps so the strings come off the nut rollers straight out with no angle back towards me sitting behind the steel. I always think if they are not straight out, this will cause a side pressure on the roller and maybe not roll as easy. Am I right or not? Thanx ---Jack

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 2:23 pm    

Yes, you're right. Any sideways pull will bind the roller and create hysteresis. I recommend 6 or 7 wraps for all the plain strings. It makes tuning more stable and reduces string breakage, too!
Jack Ritter

Enid, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 3:31 pm    

thanx Donny---Jack

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 3:40 pm    

Another rule of thumb is to make the string long enough to go two tuners past the one you need. (Obviously you have to estimate this on strings 4-7). But generally, the more wraps the better.
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 4:09 pm    

I go two tuners' length for wound strings, three for plain strings. I put at least two wraps on one side of the hole in the tuner peg, then the rest on the other side of the hole--whichever respective sides lead to the straightest angle from the nut. This makes the string cross over itself, which (I think) helps control slippage.

Like everything related to PSG, there are different views. A few years back some people advised trying to get some angle between the nut and the tuner peg, in order to press the nut roller against the side of the slot to keep it from vibrating!
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 10:00 pm     Quest on putting on new strings.

In putting on strings always put enough wraps on the plain strings to get them to tighten and tune off the string hole on the tuner. Short quick change on stage one night. The next morning set down to work on a song. The string was tuned right on the edge of the hole in the tuner. Shoved down pedal A&B. The string broke at the tuner folded over my bar hand and buried the end of string to the bone of my ring finger on my right hand. Hurt like &%#@. Wind enough wraps of string to get over on the solid smooth shaft of the tuner. Good Luck and Happy Steelin.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 4:17 am    

One concern on Brint's suggestion: the last 3 or 4 wraps should not cross a string. one can cut the other.