| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Should I buy this ShoBud?
Waisznor

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2013 12:59 pm    

I´ve never seen such a ShoBud (7+4):

Last edited by Waisznor on 11 Aug 2013 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2013 1:42 pm    

Just a guess, but it looks like a Baldwin Crossover that's been converted over to a more standard setup. Might be nice.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2013 2:41 pm    

Recent thread about this same guitar.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=250115
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2013 3:37 pm    

It was clearly built as an 8 + 4 guitar and one rod and pedal have been removed. Nice guitar Smile
Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2013 6:43 pm     It's a converted Crossover, no question about that.

It's a converted Crossover for sure.
I had one back in the 70's that I bought with 7+1.
It's the guitar I am playing in the little picture here at he left.
I disconnected the crossover more or less the same way this has been done, but I left the Rack and Barrels system.
Then I used 2 pedals on the E9th and 5 on the C6th.
I added three real Sho Bud knee levers that used the left over racks on the E9th. Took a little welding and messing around but they worked well.
Put the 4th string E to F# on the Right Knee Right to get the missing 3rd pedal stuff. Worked much better that way for me and I still use that change on my guitars since then.
Whoever did this guitar also polished the aluminum frame and that was a lot of work.
On the guitar you showed that person also took out the Racks & Barrels tuning system and made some strange pulling system.
The pedal bar is also not the original one?
If the system they made works well and the price is good and I needed one I'd buy it...
I'd expect to get it real cheap because it is far from original with that system so no parts would be available.
Another thing to consider is that they are very heavy but sound great.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 10 Aug 2013 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2013 7:49 pm    

It is indeed a converted crossover, but the racks have been replaced with some sort of bell crank - looks like a "permanent" style - called "permanent" because they are welled to the crosshafts, and thus the coped can not be changed. It is "possible" that these are move-able - hard to tell from the pic - but there seems like there is very litle there, so my guess is they are welded. I do not believe I have seen this pic of the underbody before - was it just added to the advert?

Unless he has dropped the price, it is way too much for a crossover. They realistically go for about $600, maybe 800. Search them on the forum, you will see some really nice ones sold for less than a grand.

They are the least-desirable of all Sho-Buds, and the price reflects this. More info on the other thread Richard references. I would absolutely NOT buy it unless I could play it first and insure the coped was one I could live with or change, and that the mods worked properly. JMHO.

Edit:

Quote:
It was clearly built as an 8 + 4 guitar and one rod and pedal have been removed. Nice guitar Smile

I beg to differ: it almost certainly was built as a 6 and 1 crossover and has been modified. But, it does look like an 8th pedal and shaft might could be added, and that would certainly enhance it's value if so.

Doug

Post  Posted 10 Aug 2013 8:30 pm     He's right about the value.

Yes, agree with Douglas that this is worth very little because of the changed pulling system.
If it has the original changer with welded bell cranks then it would be a real pain to change the tuning. Even if the bell cranks can be moved you are still stuck with a single raise and lower.
The whole point of the Rack and Barrel system was that the only limit on changes was the number of barrels any one string pull had.
The only improvement here would be to loose a little weight but at a high cost in loss of changes.
In good original condition they do go often for under $1,000.00
I'd not go over 1/2 that price for this even if I wanted it.
I would not want it without the Rack & Barrel system.
Really too bad they did this much to that guitars underside.
It also ha the less popular "Dust Collector" fretboards from a later model.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
Peter den Hartogh

Cape Town, South Africa
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2013 5:07 am    

Is that guitar in Germany?
If not, shipping could be more than the value of the guitar.
Waisznor

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2013 6:12 am    

Thank you friends for the good advice!

For me, the weight (about 80 lbs) would be the biggest handicap.

Horst

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2013 6:59 am    

"Whoever did this guitar also polished the aluminum frame and that was a lot of work."

Probably not so. There was a model called the Crossover Custom that had polished aluminum. I had one. Castings back then had so many pinholes and blemishes that painting them over was probably the only viable solution. I don't think they made many Customs, just because they didn't get that many good castings.
Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 11 Aug 2013 7:24 am     Polished aluminum frame

Thanks John for that bit of info.
I didn't know that they ever came with polished aluminum.
Wonder if that is the same reason for some of the Fender 400, 800, 1000 & 2000's having been polished?
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2013 9:34 am    

Had it not been "bastardized" and if it were real cheap, I wouldn't have minded having it. I'm sure the tone is to die for. But, they really screwed it up by changing out the undercarriage.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.