| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nick Nixon has passed
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2013 4:31 pm    

I just learned the Nick has passed away. Nick was a great singer as well as a great guy.
RIP my friend you will be missed.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2013 11:27 pm    

Sad, sad news. He was a great singer and a fine gentleman. My condolences go out to his family

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2013 10:06 am     Nick Nixon

Nick was a great artist. Should have been a major star but was overshadowed by George and Tammy as they were stablemates with Billy Sherril. Nick should have moved on. I think his career would have turned out different.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2013 3:18 pm    

I have one of his LP's that I bought years ago when I lived in SoCal with the great tune "I'll Get over You" on it. I think Nick had one of the greatest voices ever. I heard him sing live a couple of years ago in the Fulawka Room at Scotty's Convention and he still had it. RIP Nick.......JH in Va.

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2013 5:49 am    

I spent some time with Nick at the 2011 show. He was very upbeat about a "T" shirt he was going to have made to sell about Real Country Music. Years ago Wally Murphy and Nick played the Big E fair and we got to hang around for a over a week. Nick brought the whole band after a fair show out to a club (Lynns Lounge)where I was working with my group. They did a couple of hours. I popped in a few years later at the old Down Spout where he was playing with his band. There were a lot of years That I lost contact in between 2011. I was happy to see him doing that Ben Peters Song again Jerry mentioned. And on stage again at the ISGC. We discussed some of my songs it was a fun two days. He Shared a booth with Leona Williams and they were busy. Never thought he was feeling poorly.RIP Old Friend. Heres a little Nick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1R53WMK-6Po

Last edited by Joe Casey on 2 Aug 2013 7:48 am; edited 2 times in total
bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2013 1:32 pm    

a stl tradition for so many years.
spent many nites at the downspout listening to nick & wally & raymo & ron meese & the drummer?? randy wright??
stopped in one night, dead, wally & co. were taking a break and who walked in? chuck berry! he did a set and just knocked us out. then folks started bothering him and he was gone..........
RIP mi amigo!
thanx so much nick.
bruce & lynn

Last edited by bruce fischer on 9 Aug 2013 1:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2013 5:46 am    

I remember going to "The Downspout" in St. Louis back in the late 60's when visiting family there. Many great artists played there. I remember NICK NIXON & the Country Soul!!! Wow... Wally Murphy on steel and Bobby Caldwell on lead guitar........it didn't get any better than that!!! GREAT MEMORIES!!!
Doug Childress

Orange, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2013 4:58 am    

I had the opportunity of meeting Nick at the ISGC a couple of years ago. He sang on the show and afterwards I sat down with him on the stairwell by his booth and he played a couple of new songs he had written. I was blown away. I shared a Facebook friendship with him since that time and have kept up with his posts. He never mentioned he was sick but left a post last week saying that it was the last time he would be putting anything on Facebook. I was curious but did not ask why. Sorry about his passing. I got the impression he was a well liked and loved individual. I join with all the folks here on the forum in saying we have lost a wonderful artist and friend. May he rest in eternal peace.
Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2013 4:46 am    

I remember Nick, he was a great singer. My condolences are with the family.
Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2013 9:33 pm    

I worked with Nick when he was a guest with Barbara Fairchild (before Teddy Bear) at the old Farm-a-rama Saturday night show in Springfield, Missouri at Fantastic Caverns in 1968. I saw him about fifteen years later when I lived in St. Louis at his gig at the Airport Lounge. A few years ago I was playing my "elevator music" gig at the Crescent Hotel Sunday Brunch in Eureka Springs, Arkansas and Nick came over and said howdy. I sent him one of my Last Train Out(a tribute to the Hobo) CD's and he wrote me back a very nice letter telling me how good it was. He said he was coming back to the Springs and see me, but alas it was not to be. RIP my friend. You were a great talent and I was proud to be your friend.
John Gould

Houston, TX Now in Cleveland TX
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2013 4:02 pm    

I had the pleasure of playing at Nick's club. Wally was still working with him and invited me to his house also the guitar player in the house band was very nice as well. It was right at the time the convention was going on one year and some players came by to see Wally and were unhappy to find me playing there instead. Nick was a great guy and got up and sang a few with us during our stint there.