| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Super Pro Pull Rods
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2013 2:04 am    

Trying to finish up some copedant work on the Super Pro I picked up in June. I finally got a hold of a 5-40 die, but when I threaded a 7/64 rod with it, the new stock 5-40 nylon tuning nuts slide right over the threads; older ones (that came off this Super Pro or the Fender Artist I had a while back) grab the threads fine. (Unfortunately, I only have a couple of those.) Doing some more research I see that Sho Bud used rolled threads, yet lots of people seem to have threaded their own rods (i.e., cutting them with a die).

So, what do I need? Is there a smaller diameter tuning nut someone sells (or stock I could buy and cut)? Or do I need a slightly larger die than 5-40 (and if so, which)?

Perplexed.
Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2013 4:29 am    

For the nylon tuning nuts go to McMaster Carr. You can get various lengths and will most certainly find what you need. I prefer to get the ones with a #2 thread and then redrill them to what ever is needed. There is no need to tap the nuts if you drill them slightly undersize. You may also want to order a couple number drills so you have the correct size for drilling.

Robert
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2013 5:00 am    

I think you'd need a 4-40 die to cut any decent threads on a .109 [7/64] rod. If the original rods are 5-40, then they would have been rolled threads which is something that takes a specific machining process to accomplish, actually raises threads making the threaded portion larger than the rod itself.

Several of the vendors like Show-Pro [old George L's accessory line], probably Steel Guitar Nashville, Williams guitars for sure could supply you with smaller ID tuning nuts needed for cut threads on a 7/64" rod if they are the right length.

Michael Yahl would have the right info, but I think his shop is down due to relocating. Might check with James Morehead for ideas about replacing and re-rodding.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2013 5:58 am    

Thanks guys. I think I see my problem. My new nylon tuners are the 5-40s from Michael. I originally tried using my 4-40 die, but the threads were not tight enough on the tuners. Then cutting with the 5-40 only made it worse (no grab at all). Clearly what I need are tuning nuts for 4-40 threads. I'll see whether one of the likely suspects has any.

Thanks.

Dan
Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2013 6:00 am    

Smile Jerry is ,as usual spot on, u really need a 4/40 die 5/40 is for 1/8" rod ...unless the threads are rolled like Jerry said.. Winking Dan, I just went with 1/8" rods and used a rat tail jewelers file to dress the finger holes out a little. Smile
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2013 7:41 am    

Storm Rosson wrote:
Smile Jerry is ,as usual spot on, u really need a 4/40 die 5/40 is for 1/8" rod ...unless the threads are rolled like Jerry said.. Winking Dan, I just went with 1/8" rods and used a rat tail jewelers file to dress the finger holes out a little. Smile

Storm, the problem with that is you would need to also widen the pullers to accept the 1/8" rod.

Dan holler at me, I can help you cut through the chase.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2013 7:49 am    

JAAAMES!!!!

(there: I hollered at ya!)

Razz
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2013 8:42 am    

Ehhh???? Speak up Sonny!! Evil Twisted
Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2013 2:58 pm    

James Morehead wrote:
Storm Rosson wrote:

Storm, the problem with that is you would need to also widen the pullers to accept the 1/8" rod.

Dan holler at me, I can help you cut through the chase.
Si James that's what I really meant by dressig out the PULLER holes a tad bigger with a jewelers file, had to smoth the hole edges a little from the factory drilling anyway ...Stormy Winking