| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need help with Cord changes
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 29 May 2003 5:06 pm    

I need some Information on cord changes. I guess I need a CD with a good drummer and Bass player on it.I need to know how I can hear the cord changes at the right time.I know how to play but get messed up when the cords change.I'm also having a problem with the timing.Any help will be appreciated. Sam White

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 29 May 2003 at 06:08 PM.]

Rick Tyson

Ohio
Post  Posted 29 May 2003 7:15 pm    

Hi Samuel
You might want to contact Jeff Newman or visit his web site at Jeffran Music, I believe a few years ago Jeff offered a course on just your problem. It was a course on learning to hear the chord changes and the timing of the changes.

------------------

Click on my picture to see some forum members pictures

[This message was edited by Rick Tyson on 29 May 2003 at 08:16 PM.]

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2003 8:52 pm    

Sam,

Yes, I took that course of Jeff's in March here in Dallas. Jeff has a CD he calls the Super Song. Each verse has different chord changes. 8 verses. All the same key.

It is just what you described: a drummer, bass player, rhythm guitar player.

Jeff would have us listen and write down the changes as they happened. Whew!

I think you could buy the CD and the materials from Jeff. Worth the money.

Ron

Hill Phillips

Alma Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2003 4:55 am    

Shucks, Sammy I had the same problem untill I learned what sheet music was for.
But it still took a while to hear the changes. I would buy a record (78 rpm) and the sheet music to go with it that had the changes over the staff and I would Listen Listen Listen while looking at the music untill I could hear the changes. you would never be sorry for learning to read music. it is great to pick up some sheet music never heard and play it.
Good luck Sammy.
Phillips.
Tony LaCroix

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2003 7:42 am    

Hi Samuel,

This is a response from a standard guitar player (new steeler), but...

Remember, there are really only seven chords in any given key, and only three or four in most songs.

1. Determine if the chord you are hearing is major or minor

2. Get used to the way the I, IV and V chords sound.

3. If it's minor, try vi first, then ii.

This process has gotten me through many fill-in gigs where people have asked, "How the hell did you know where you were going on that tune?"

I'm starting to see the beautiful application of this idea on steel- you don't even have to move the bar! It's like having seven different hands at each fret.

Cheers

[This message was edited by Tony LaCroix on 30 May 2003 at 08:43 AM.]

Cory Dolinsky

Old Saybrook, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2003 1:26 pm    

Band in a Box will give you everything your looking for. You can change tempo, styles of songs,or make up your own chord progressions. You can also take out the drummer or any instrument in a mix with the click of a button.

Its a great learning tool. I think one important thing is to have a good sound card or get a midi keyboard (sound canvas) because a standard computers soundcard sounds really rinky dink and will drive you crazy.
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 30 May 2003 3:33 pm    

Sam, why not take a song that you're pretty familiar with, write out the words, then write out the chords. Write them out in a format so you'll see the chords for each line of the song. Go over it until you know that it's correct.

Play along with the song until you are following it easily. Now, do this with several songs, it will get easier each time. You will begin to see that there are patterns of chords that are common in many songs. The more you do this, the better your ear will become. Get used to thinking in terms of the number system, many songs have only 3 chords, The 1, 4, and 5. In C, for example, that would be the chords C, F, and G. So many country songs are just that simple. If you know what key the songs is in, you will know what the 3 primary chords are. Listening carefully, will help you see where they change. Listen for the patterns which repeat so often. Good luck.

------------------
Bill Moore...
my steel guitar web page

Mike Delaney

Fort Madison, IA
Post  Posted 30 May 2003 3:56 pm    

Cory is correct about Band in a Box. Also good is Finale Guitar, about $100 piece of software. This requires the minimum basics of how to read music, but I make practice tunes on it all the time. Of course, then it also has the capability of printing out sheet music that looks like you went downtown and bought it, but that's a different story. (My kingdom to have had this while at Berklee!)

A hint about when you're listening to chord changes. The vast majority of the time, the changes take place on the thetic or strong beats (ie-beats 1 & 3 in 4/4 time). When you're looking for I, IV, V progressions here's a trick. When the chord sound seems to raise, its IV. When it seems to lower, its V. What you're hearing is the voices of the chord move.

If you've listened to and played music for any length of time, you can hear a lot better than you think you can. Get your head out of the way, relax and trust your ear. You'll be surprised how often you're right.

Trying to analyze a tune on the band stand is usually a loser; do that when you practice. When encountering a new tune in a live setting, go with the ears. Another hint is to not play a lot of notes!
Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 31 May 2003 8:06 am    

Hi Sam:
Long time no chat. its been awhile since Boo's Jam in Md. but if you'd like,,,send me your snail mail address, and I'll send you some tracks to work with. yep,,free to boot. it has the various keys of the songs, and are top notch. I know its helped me a great deal. just some ol standards, but sure helps with cord changes. Take care and God Bless

Joe

Derby SD10-4X5 Nashville 400 Fender twin
Profex ll Lexicon MPX 100
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 31 May 2003 11:56 am    

Thanks for all the help guys. Mike my wife plays key board and I just took one of her books and wrote the words and the cords down on It was almost like a song and I could not beleave what I heard. My wife even came in my steel room and said that is great you have it now.
Sam White