| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A New Steel Guitar Show in Nashville???
Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2013 8:09 am    

I'm thinking about organizing a gathering in Nashville, Tennessee. I don't want to just do a sleepy steel guitar show that is just a replay of what most of us have experienced before. I'm also now saying that I want it to be some radical freak show either. I just sense the need for there to be more promotion and dialogue about the advancement of our musical bicycles.

What I would honestly love to see is a blending of various "slide" instrument styles. I realize this has likely been tried time and time again. Still I want to try! This is a dream but just imagine a show where you could see the following: Rob Ickes, Chris Scruggs, Wally Murphy, Joe Wright, Robert Randolph, Tommy White, Paul Franklin, Dave Easley.....you get the idea. Now, obviously this has to start somewhere and it would take years in order to have a lineup like that. Certainly, this is just a concept at this point but I know there has been conversation about this over the past year. I'm just about ready to be the guy to throw some fuel on this fire and get it kicked off.

Again, to be perfectly clear, this is not about creating an alternative steel guitar show where it is all about out of the box styles. It is about assembling a collection of talented people and inviting all to attend to be inspired by the full range of what can be done with pedal steel, lap steels, and any other device where using steel bars is the predominant tool of tone.

Additionally, I envision some traditional "class/seminars" around this event. I'm not completely sure there is merit for that at this point but again in the interest of advancing forward I would think offering some kind of curriculum would be worthwhile to some.

I'm sure open to ideas and certainly throw your two cents in here if you are willing to help support this idea. I'm also open to criticism here as well (any time you author a thread that is the case) but just keep it well thought out and offer solutions if you do choose to criticize.

Stay tuned,
Zane
Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2013 12:05 pm    

I would love to see such a show. Count me in.

Tom
Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2013 12:18 pm    

Glad you responded Tom!!!! I am getting overwhelmed here with the response. LOL!

Well, you and I will have good time in the front row. Laughing
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2013 12:18 pm    

Sounds like a great idea to me. I'd love it.
Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2013 12:41 pm    

Plan on joining us Jim! We need your pickin' and your support!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2013 12:46 pm    

Oh you flatterer! Wink
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2013 2:04 pm    

Great idea Zane. If it happens I would hope that a few weissenborn aficionados would be involved or at least come. I'd sure try to support it.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2013 2:07 pm    

great idea..whats the date !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2013 6:12 pm    

I'll be there!!!
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2013 6:13 pm    

Sounds great to me, it would be worth a trip from Texas to see. I pretty much quit going to the regular steel shows because I got tired of hearing the same old players, playing the same old songs. The last few years I went to the St. Louis show was only because of the Jazz Room. Then I decided I couldn't justify the expense just for a three hour show.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.

Last edited by Darvin Willhoite on 17 Jul 2013 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 17 Jul 2013 4:02 am    

Fantastic idea, and I think you're the perfect person to get the ball rolling. Go for it!!
Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2013 5:34 am     Great Idea

Zane,
That would be awesome!
Dan
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2013 4:06 pm    

Zane, funny thing you would mention this...I was just in Nashville this past week and thought how great it would be to have a steel show there ! There are sure alot of good players in the area if it would work out, I would be there to listen !! BTW I was there for the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society annual convention at the Music City Sheraton. that was my 19th time to attend.
Shorty Rogers

Post  Posted 18 Jul 2013 7:24 am    

Nice idea, but the first thing you really need to do is secure some stable means of financing the thing. Corporate sponsors, label execs, dependable venue, stuff like that. Once that is in place, players would not be too big an issue. Lots of ground work needed to pull it off. If you build it, they will come.
David Anderson

St. Louis, MO, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2013 8:50 am    

Sounds like a great idea! Putting together an ecletic group of performers with an emphasis on diverse styles is the key to growing interest and vitality of the steel guitar. I think making a show like this appeal to players is easy, but a challenging facet would be to make it appeal to others out side of the pedal steel community and players interested in taking up the steel guitar.
Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2013 10:54 am    

Only if Donna gets to sing a couple.

Seriously - great idea. Keep us posted as to further developments.

Shorty Rogers has some good up-front advice.

Richard
Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2013 10:58 am    

Great Idea!
Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2013 11:00 am    

Good idea Zane. Give it a try!
Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2013 1:07 pm    

Good Idea Zane.
However, why not take advantage of the club that is already there,,,the Nashville Tennessee Steel Guitar Association (NTSGA).
Jan Jones heads it up and probably would be glad to offer any help he could.
BB
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2013 1:32 pm    

Sounds like a great idea to me. If it's players pushing the limits honkin' on their instruments, exploiting ideas without boundaries then I would make every effort to support, perform, attend or whatever, such a gathering as finances allow. Short 150 mi. trip for me.

If it'll be just another country music show like you can see any Sat. nite but with various back up instruments like many shows, then I wouldn't be interested in attending.
Larry Gerdeman

Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2013 8:03 pm    

Great idea Zane, probably wouldn't have a problem trying to schedule around sessions as much. May be able to get players other shows have trouble booking.
Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2013 6:34 am    

SUPER!!!!! Love that this thread is heating up a bit. THANKS A TON for all the valuable input and comments. Just so all of you know, I have had a good number of people private message/email me about this subject. I don't think there is any question there is a hunger and need for a superb steel guitar show in Nashville. That said, let me re-state that this is not just any ordinary show I'm talking about. I love the way you put it Jerry Overstreet...."If it's players pushing the limits honkin' on their instruments, exploiting ideas without boundaries then I would make every effort to support, perform, attend or whatever.

Additionally, let me make it clear that this will be a "work in progress". While I understand the end goal and I'm laser focused on what I want this to be, it will take time. We will have to start somewhere! I will promise you it will be fun and outrageous but will also honor the tradition that has gone before us. That's how I roll.

Very Happy Very Happy
Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2013 6:59 am     Zane King

I hope you continue with your idea. You are too young to remember the mid-seventies when I took Jimmy Bryant and several steel guitar players on the road putting on 6 hour shows in different cities. Sort of a mini St. Louis steel guitar convention but one day in one city and the next in another and so on. I really think what you want to do is great and I would do whatever I could do to help promote it. One suggestion, as I found out in the seventies....Consider using other musicians from other genre's to be part of your show, not just the steel bar players, which will bring in many new potential steel guitar fans. We did that with Les Paul, Tal Farlow, Pizzarelli, Howard Roberts and Herb Ellis, all jazz guitar greats. Check out the history of the Cavalcade Of Guitars recorded in Dallas, Tx. in 76. Go for it Zane. I will be there.
P.O. Box #211
Franklin, Ind. 46131

Buddy Emmons/Jimmy Bryant live $15.00 includes shipping.
It's The First Time(studio)$15.00 includes shipping.
Curley Chalker/Julian Tharpe live $15.00 includes shipping.
the Cavalcade Of Guitars live $16.00 includes shipping.
Pay by PayPal to: dab7875159@aol.com
Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2013 7:08 am    

Dave - that is great stuff! I did not know about those shows. I'm totally with you on the other genres and involving various kinds of talented performers. Thanks so much for saying that you will be here! I'm counting on ya!!!
James Nottage

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2013 4:13 am    

Zane:

A great idea and one that with a Nashville base should attract a lot of attention. All genre of music, absolutely! All the builders. Please have a steel guitar petting zoo so registrants can try/hear the early Ricks, Bigsby, the latest in new stuff (like those neat new six-stringers your dad is making), etc. Music vendors, performers. A Disneyland for steel guitar. Seminars, maybe with the kind of coverage that can satisfy and inspire all players from beginners to the gods of the steel guitar. Get the magazines there like Vintage Guitar and others. For certain I would attend to support you, and think many other members of the forum would also provide support in other ways. You want volunteers to work registration tables or anything else? Just ask.