| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Must Have Pedal Steel Records?
Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2013 8:22 am    

Hey all!

New to the forum, new to the PSG world, and lookin' to catch up quick because I got the itch for this fine instrument!

Got my name on the list with Doug for a black Stage One which he thinks will be ready by October, so in the meantime I'm devouring videos, forums, etc. learning about pedal steel...

And now? I need some records! I'm a vinyl junkie too and have a nice collection of stuff, but not much in the way of pedal steel/country/honkytonk etc... I was able to snag a Tony Farr record yesterday, and have some New Riders of the Purple Sage LPs... and I know I probably need to pick up as much Buddy Emmons as I can... but...

What are your must have pedal steel guitar albums?

PS - I did search the forums but only found a thread for "favorite album of all time", not limited to the pedal steel genre, so looking for more specific suggestions...
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2013 9:15 am    

I can't touch the vinyl thing--I don't know what is available and it doesn't interest me enough to research.

This subject has come up many times but I'm not sure what search terms would turn the discussions up.

These two items are huge for me, the Jimmy Day being simply brilliant playing starring PSG. The Lloyd Green one is live Charley Pride, showing how to play lead, rhythm, fills and everything else that you want a steel to do behind a singer. The bad news is that this totally essential recording is NOT available! Therefore, sorry for the useless post but if you can find a copy.....

Lloyd Green with Charley Pride

Jimmy Day
George Crowder

Richmond, VA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2013 10:01 am    

Ben, Billy Cooper's Steel Guitar Shop, Orange, VA still has a few vinyl steel guitar records for sale. Email coopersmusic@hotmail.com or call 540/854-5940 and Wanda can tell you what they have left.

If Billy and Wanda do not have what you want, I suggest you try ebay. I've had good success there.
Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2013 10:38 am    

Thanks all - and sorry to rehash if this has been covered, I'd be happy to go through old threads if someone could direct me.

And yep - fleaBay is always a good source, I'm just looking for some go-to album titles and artists to get me started. Thanks, looking forward to any further replies, but I'll definitely search the archives and etc some more!
Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2013 10:39 am    

And thanks George, I'll email them now!
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2013 11:04 am    

Def no 'scold' intended. I know there is extensive discussion of 'essential albums' over the last 15 years here but I don't have the reference librarian chops to dig the threads up.
Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2013 11:14 am    

All good my brother! So far it's looking like tracking down a Buddy Emmons vinyl or two may be a good start. And I was listening to the Tony Farr I found this morning, "Play The Farr Out of It" - not bad!!
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2013 11:45 am    

I have the "Live At Panther Hall" album. Now I'm richer than I thought. Laughing

Post  Posted 4 Jul 2013 12:24 pm    

Any of the early Buck Owens records with Tom , I'm especially digging "Roll Out The Red Carpet" which has Brumley fore and center and many cuts. Also, the "Together Again/My Heart skips a beat" is another great Buckaroos record that features Ralph Mooney, Brumley and I think two other steel players, but I'm mind blanking right now.
Andy Jones

Mississippi
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2013 1:52 pm    

Conway Twitty recordings with John Hughey playing.

Anything of Ernest Tubb with Buddy Charleton playing.
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2013 3:28 pm    

If you can locate an early Roger Miller album, believe the title is either, 'A Trip through the Country' or 'In the Country', not certain. Classic playing by Buddy Emmons, illustrating to us all how it should be done. Any Vince Gill recordings featuring the incredibly soulful playing of the late John Hughey.
Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2013 3:44 pm    

One of my favorites is Lloyd Greens Reflections album. Loaded with great instrumentals. Good luck finding one though. Larry
Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2013 9:14 pm    

Right on everyone! Appreciate the responses and I'm adding to the list. I scored a couple things on eBay already - a Pete Drake record and the ever-popular "Happy Steel Guitar Plays Country Classics", along with Richard "Dickey" Betts' solo album "Highway Call".... Also looking at Roy Price, Hank Snow, and George Jones greatest hits records, on friends recommendation.....

But so far none of the stuff suggested here - so thanks! More always appreciated of course - Isn't it always fun to talk about records? Very Happy
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2013 4:10 am    

If I had to pick three landmark albums...

"Steel Guitar Jazz" - Emmons
"Big Hits On Big Steel" - Chalker
"Steel And Strings" - Day
Mike Terry

Galesburg Il
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2013 4:55 am    

My all time favorite, if you can find it is, James Burton & Ralph Mooney " Corn Pickin & Slick Slidin ".
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2013 6:16 am    

One more suggestion if I may. Although most likely not available on vinyl, any recordings by Billy Cooper (especially the CD's he cut with Buddy Charleton) which are available by mail from his shop. Billy's playing is both melodic and straight forward, an excellent example of the "less is more" school. He is one of my personal favorites.
Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2013 12:42 pm    

Thanks guys, and thanks to all who have contacted me personally as well - I hope I havent missed getting back to anyone!

Looks like I've got a great list to get after... too much fun! Cool
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2013 1:16 pm    

Don’t limit your collection to vinyl exclusively or you’ll miss out on many essential reissues, not to mention most anything recorded this century.

In any case, a good LP to score would be the original Buddy Emmons E9 course from the Emmons Guitar Co. A boxed set, it included tab for all the tunes, each one a classic. Includes many of the signature licks, phrases, and rides invented by the great Buddy Emmons. Some of the very best ever, by one of the first to figure it all out.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2013 1:35 pm    

As there are so many genres and styles even within the more narrow Nashville confines, it would help if you mentioned things that had already really rung your bell, and people could steer you toward similar stuff.
That being said, you can get something out of almost any steel recording, and lots out of many. My personal cornerstone starter collection would include:
Emmons Guitar Inc. (The Black album)- Buddy Emmons
Live at ISGC '77- Buddy Emmons
Golden Steel Guitar Hits, Steel and Strings- Jimmy Day
Charlie Pride "Live at Panther Hall" ("In Person" on CD- Lloyd Green
Revisited- Lloyd Green
Big Hits on Big Steel- Curly Chalker
Greatest Hits of Alan Jackson- Paul Franklin
One Way- Mike Smith
Doug & Bucky- Doug Jernigan
The Universal Direction- Maurice Anderson
Collection- Herby Wallace
Any of John Hughey's solo Steel albums!
And the Compilation albums "Nashville Bar Association", "Suite Steel", "Slide", and "Pacific Steel Company"
For starters. A few of these aren't available on vinyl, but all worth having, and would give you some jumping off points for what players and styles move you most. I have hundreds of steel albums, and very few are duds.
Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2013 6:57 pm    

Thanks guys - and yeah, I'm sure I'll end up with plenty of digital files, CDs, DVDs etc. that are more instructional (plus some of the harder to find/out of vinyl print stuff) when I get my steel in October, but for now I'm having fun picking up these old records...

Just missed out on the Buddy Emmons "Guitar Inc" vinyl on eBay... ended up going for only $12 but I put my sniper bid in just a split second too early and someone else 1-up'd me! Muttering

Oh well - hopefully I'll find another at a decent price soon...
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2013 8:57 pm    

The album that hooked me was "The Hit Sounds Of Lloyd Green." It's a clinic on hot steel guitar, and you can find it on eBay fairly easily for $10-15.

Joe
Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2013 7:00 pm    

Glad Mark mentioned Nashville Bar Association. Simply incredible. Steel guitar horn sections done with Bosstones!