| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I'll be getting my first psg soon, what else do I need?
Kenan Ozan

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 9:49 am    

Howdy guys,
I just joined this forum and thought I'd say hello and ask a ton questions. I ordered a stage one psg and it should be ready before too long. What else do I need? I've been playing dobro for a while, do I need a different bar? Do I need a fancy chair? My goal with the psg is to gig with it. I live in Nashville and I'm kind of going for the aux player route. I know delay pedals are important and I have a digitech d1 delay, big green line 6 delay, and a mxr carbon copy delay. Will one of these work? I need a special volume pedal too right? Book recommendations? I have a blackface twin reissue, is this a suitable amp or do I need a solid state? I'd to have all this worked out when my guitar arrives so I can jump right into practice.

If anyone lives in Nashville and wants to talk psg shop over a drink or two, that would be fun. I will probably want lessons eventually too if you guys know any teachers in town. Maybe we can swap guitar lessons for psg? I apologize if there is a thread similar to this one, but I didn't find one. I AM SO EXCITED TO FINALLY PLAY THE PSG!

Thanks,
Kurt
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 10:08 am    

Your Twin reissue is more than adequate for learning. It's probably just fine for gigging as well. You do NOT need a delay pedal. 99% of tone comes from your hands, not a box. I play gigs without using a delay pedal, and I get lots of favorable comments regarding tone.

You will probably want a bullet nose bar, start with a 7/8 inch diameter. A Dunlop bar is plenty good enough for learning, and the cheapest option.

Regarding volume pedals, you can't go wrong with a Goodrich pot pedal, or if you want to spend more money, a Hilton electronic pedal. Other off-brand pedals may work as well. If you can find an old Sho-Bud pedal, they work well.

A fancy seat is not necessary, but I sure like mine. It holds all my stuff and puts me in the same position at the steel every time I sit down to play.

You're on the right track, asking questions and trying to connect with people in your area. If you can meet one on one with an experienced player you'll benefit greatly. Good luck.
Kenan Ozan

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 10:20 am    

I'm floored that you guys don't use delay that much. It must be reverb that I'm hearing. Is this true of the modern country radio stuff?

Thanks for the reply!
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 10:34 am    

Kenan,
I have a Twin Reverb Reissue as well, and I personally think the reverb it puts out is great. There are others on here that know way more about this stuff than me, but as far as I'm concerned, the spring reverb tank in that should last you for quite a while. To me, spring reverb has a great blend of "wetness" to duration.
I really like gigging with my Twin, but be aware that that mother is HEAVY. I have a road case with casters on it, so that makes it a lot easier (of course, it adds yet another 20 lbs).
Have you done much gigging with your dobro? I don't want to give you a bunch of information if you already know it, but if you don't I'm more than happy to tell you more.

1981 MSA "The Universal" Bb6 S-12 9/5 | 2024 Excel Robostar Bb6 S-12 8/5 | 2009 MSA SuperSlide C6 S-12 | Peavey Nashville 112
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 10:41 am    

Don't mis-understand what I'm saying. Lots of steel players do use delay, and some swear it's a necessary piece of equipment. I'm perhaps in the minority.

I believe that a new steel player should not be led into the trap of trying to get good tone by using gadgets and devices, or buying ever more expense amps, etc. You need to learn how to get good tone from ordinary equipment. It can be done, and you will be miles ahead if you first learn to get good tone without using devices. You can experiment with the devices and gadgets later.

PS: Virtually everything you hear on the radio has been processed by studio grade equipment far more expensive than most steel players are probably able or willing to spend, to merely practice at home or play local gigs.

Last edited by Paul Sutherland on 28 Jun 2013 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
James Wolf

Georgia
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 10:41 am    

Kenan Ozan wrote:
I'm floored that you guys don't use delay that much. It must be reverb that I'm hearing. Is this true of the modern country radio stuff?

Thanks for the reply!

Paul summed it up pretty well about the tone being in your hands. With that guitar and that amp you shouldn't need the delay right away. Use a healthy bit of reverb and you ought to sound fine. I bought a delay pedal about a year into my playing and honestly all it did was get in my way. It was just one more thing to fiddle with added onto the other thousand things your brain has to do to learn pedal steel. About five years into my playing when I was fairly comfortable in the seat I brought it back out because I wanted an effect that I'd heard John Neff play. I dont use all the time. I just stomp it when I need it. It's just one of those strange things hat comes with more experience. Less is more IMHO
Kenan Ozan

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 10:47 am    

Matt,

I'm not really sure how my use handle was chosen. Kenan is my first name but I go by Kurt. I have done a fair amount of gigging with the dobro. I have the Nashville pickup and JD Aura pedal for my setup. I also gig with my twin on electric guitar and I am unfortunately aware of how heavy it is. Thanks for the advice!

Kurt

EDIT: THanks for the delay advice, I will wait a while before messing with it. This thread has been worth the $5 fee already!
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 11:46 am    

Don't buy huge lots of picks to start with. Get a couple or three different brands and try them. For thumbs, I have some Nationals (the white ones) and also a Herco Blue Nylon. For fingers, I was using National NP2's, but recently switch to Dunlop .018's, which I find more comfortable.

You can go to http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=246065&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25 and take a look at my home made "pac-a-seat".

By the way, the clear boxes are all things I got from Wal-Mart...

And, get some good cables, at least a 3 foot with one angle end, and a 10 foot straight. George L cables are good, but for cheaper, try Parts Express and look for "Talent" cables.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 11:56 am    

Almost forgot, if you find your guitar lacking on highs and mids, get a Li'l Izzy... well worth it!

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=246517

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 12:00 pm    

Any of your delay pedals should work just fine. The ones I try to avoid are those that dull tone. May be more noticeable with steel than guitar.

I use multi-fx units, but always with delay of some degree, generally understated, along with a reverb program of some kind.

You might want to kick around down on Lower Broad. Duck in those joints you hear steel coming from and maybe meet some of those guys.

Steel Guitar Nashville in Hendersonville usually has a few well known steel players coming and going as well.

Best of Luck.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 1:28 pm    

I own two GREAT Peavey amps, and an Evans (2 of the two top 3 solid state amps for steel, never owned a Webb), and they stay at home while I play through a 65 RI Twin.
I don't care for the sound of delay on steel. I don't use it. But steel sounds empty and flat without a touch of reverb.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 2:51 pm    

What else do you need ?
Well, the first two things you need are time and patience. Laughing

If you're used to playing Dobro the first thing you have to get used to is that you're changing the tuning of the instrument every time you depress a pedal or knee lever. Rolling Eyes

I always think of it as being like a typewriter, Imagine being able to type fluently and then finding that by depressing a pedal you move all the keys on one row to the right or left. And by depressing a different pedal you can move some of the keys up and down. Now try to type something. Laughing

When you come to think about all the permutations out there it's a wonder anyone can play anything on pedal steel. Laughing Shocked Whoa!

Oh, I forgot to add, that the third and fourth things you need are a Stetson and a pair of cowboy boots. Winking
Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 2:55 pm    

Or an official Emmons / b0b top hat!

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 6:45 pm    

Hey Kurt, welcome to the forum! These guys on the forum are all super helpful and have already given you some great advice, I joined only a few months ago as a beginner and have been flooded w/help, answers, advice, and even gear and where to get it. I've found that if you are patient and need it many items are for sale within the forum classified ads and all the guys I've dealt with have been superb. Don't be afraid to ask, someone here can and most likely will help. Also past threads will give you plenty of reading/info.

Houston, texas
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 7:33 pm    

A tuner that you can set temperament presents on is good. Also you want a real volume pedal - Goodrich, Hilton, shobud etc.
Considering those things, best signal chain is: PSG -> tuner -> volume pedal -> fender twin!
Don't use the second output of your volume pedal, it sucks tone and signal.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 9:28 pm    

I disagree with Will. Take the tuner out of the chain when you're done tuning. They all suck tone.
If you have a smartphone, there are tuner apps that work quite well, but take your phone out of the path when you're done tuning.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 9:49 pm    

Will Van Horn wrote:
A tuner that you can set temperament presents on is good.

Better for many of us is a tuner that just shows cents.

Will Van Horn wrote:
A tuner that you can set temperament presents on is good. Also you want a real volume pedal - Goodrich, Hilton, shobud etc.
Considering those things, best signal chain is: PSG -> tuner -> volume pedal -> fender twin!

Many of us prefer a buffer amp on a short cable from the pickup, then a passive pedal. Telonics pedals are great too. If you're a beginner, you don't have to buy any of those yet.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 9:55 pm    

Scott Duckworth wrote:
Almost forgot, if you find your guitar lacking on highs and mids, get a Li'l Izzy... well worth it!

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=246517

My personal opinion on this is that this is very bad advice. To add gizmos and effects to improve your sound is self defeating when you are trying to learn how to play. The goal is to make it so your hands can play the sounds you hear in your head. You are not training your hands when you are turning knobs. You are compensating for weak technique.

Will, I'm with you on the in line tuner and so is every pro player I can think of at the moment.

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2013 10:05 pm    

What Bob said (other than the tuner bit).
The rig I learned on was a tuning fork, volume pedal, Ampeg B-15, a guitar and two cables. Even played my first gig with it (my dad owned the amp, said I could use gig money to buy my amp. Went straight from B-15 to Session 500)

Last edited by Lane Gray on 29 Jun 2013 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2013 1:04 am    

I will add this.I have been playing about 3 years and in my opinion trying to add effects and delay actually didnt work out that well at first as a beginner in my early stages and as time went on some of that stuff I felt I needed like some delay but I think in the first few months you play try to dial in the best tone you can from your amp because trying to hook up all the add ons and effects will really mess you up and make it too confusing.I dont discourage using effects I would just do without them for a while since you are new to this.as far as a tuner goes I just use a cheap guitar tuner and it works for me.A volume pedal is important and I say get the best one you can and most players use a Goodrich or Hilton volume pedal and both are good in my opinion.Good luck. it just takes time and lots of practice.
Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2013 7:00 am    

all of you over looked the single most important thing any beginner needs to have.... a VERY understanding wife ...lol

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2013 8:10 am    

What you need the most is time.........and lots of it!
Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2013 8:51 am    

IMHO, sounds like you're well on your way. A stage one steel is a very good beginner instrument, from what I've been told. I myself own an older Marlen d10 that has no knee levers...yet, but a,b,c pedals are up and running and have found that I've plenty to work on with keeping good posture, hand posistioning, grips and simply setting at the instrument consistantly the same way eveytime. With a dobro background I hope for you it'd be an easier transition than for me with just a guitar playing background. As far as amps? I'm currently practicing through a fender champ xd w/a 10" speaker. Got a slight hint of slapback delay and it sounds great to me ! A Marlen volume with a scratchy pot that I really haven't learned howto properly express with. Using a tuner app on my smartphone from pitchlab has a great deal of instruments presets including E9/C6 pedal steel.
I borrowed an instructional video from my mentor and watch some lessons on YouTube, lots of inspiration, time, and patience has gone a long way for me. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2013 9:34 am    

Kurt
You have a magnificent steel guitar tutor in Nashville in the shape of Buck Reid at Mt. Juliet. Unless Buck is on tour with Lyle Lovett, he can arrange lessons with you. Check out Buck's web site at www.buckreid.com/ and his email address is contained within the site. He is a gem of a person.

You are halfway there with the equipment that you already own, you just need a volume pedal. Keep your eyes open in the 'For Sale: Amps and Accessories' section of this forum. V. pedals are always cropping up.

Good luck with your journey. Very Happy
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2013 2:33 pm    

Psychiatrist, and appropriate medication!

Just kidding. Enjoy your journey! As you already fingerpick, and play guitar, you have a distinct advantage.