| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Guitar Time - Justice Style
Doc Hall

Galveston, Tx
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2013 7:29 am    

I wanted to post pictures of the Justice S-10 3X4 that I recently received. A few comments...there's lots of nice builders to do business with these days. Fred Justice is hard to top. He makes you feel a part of the process and goes the extra mile to keep you satisfied. Fred provides you with some value added experiences. Clearly, Fred has good knowledge regarding customer satisfaction and quality improvement. Thanks Fred. You've got it all going!

Regarding the S-10...
The guitar sounds and plays great. The tuning is stable as is the guitar...considering it weighs 22 lbs. I can push a guitar around a bit and this one is very stable for its light weight.
The string separation is very good, I like the 705 pickup, pedals and knees are as smooth as it gets. I added split tuning and a pad so the cost came to around $1600. I paid more than that for my current S-10 ten years ago and I feel the Justice is every bit as good if not better in several areas...weight, playability and tone just being a few.

The only challenge I encountered was with the design of the knee levers. They are rectangular on the end and have slightly rounded corners. For 99% of playing out, this is fine as I generally wear jeans. For practicing around the house in shorts, the end of the knee lever had a finish that I found to be a bit harsh to the skin. Adjusting the angle of the knee lever probably would have solved the issue...but I liked the combination of the angle and the throw, so I spent one dollar and got some close fitting plastic tubing to cover about 1/2 inch of the bottom of the lever. Problem solved. The action of the knee levers is excellent by the way.

Give that the guitar is adjustable, expandable, light weight and sounds great...it's a winner. Here's the pix.

Chuck Blake

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2013 8:33 am    

Very nice looking guitar.

I talked to Fred on the phone about building a guitar.Now I wish I had followed thru. I opted for a nice used guitar and I'm still waiting Whoa!

Again very nice piece.......enjoy

Chuck

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2013 9:18 am    

Maybe you could get a BLUE one next time... Laughing Purdy... I like the "plain" fronts better than the subdivided isosceles trapezoidy stuff.
Doc Hall

Galveston, Tx
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2013 10:28 am    

Right Dave. Blue it is! I've seen this blue photographed on a couple of occasions and it generally turns out as noted...bright! It's a bit weird the way it photographs. I saw a photo Fred had done and I wondered if I ordered the right color. The last photo is close to the true color. Go figure. I'm with you about the plain front. It's quiet and utilitarian.
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2013 12:06 pm    

That blue guitar looks beautiful! I have the original version, not as fancy, and black in color, but it plays and sounds great. These are excellent instruments and a terrific value. I really like the blue color! Smile
Howard Smith

Callison, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2013 1:23 pm    

Doc where did you get the pad for this guitar, and is it the clamp on type? Fred sure builds a nice guitar.

Post  Posted 24 Jun 2013 1:24 pm    

Doc where did you get the pad for this guitar, and is it the clamp on type? Fred sure builds a nice guitar.

Galveston, Tx
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2013 1:50 pm    

Howard, I got the one Fred makes. It is attached via a couple of large fasteners into two threaded holes in the back panel of the guitar. It forms a solid platform that appears more a part of the guitar than an add on.
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2013 5:24 pm    

Can you post a picture of the pad and how it is attached?

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2013 2:08 am    

I'm interested in seeing the pad as well. Scott,just passed through Etowah yesterday!
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2013 2:24 am    

I was confused at first by the earlier exchange between Howard & Doc - looked at the photos thinking "it sure doesn't look like a pad on there, I guess it really does look like it's part of the guitar rather than an add-on! " Laughing

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2013 2:34 am    

Hey Pete, give me a yell sometime and we'll do coffee!

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2013 5:57 am    

Gentlemen I feel the need to chime in and help you on your questions about the quick release arm pad.

Our rear apron is 1/4" x 2and 1/2" aluminum plate, that the cross shafts and knee levers are hung from.
There are two 10/24 taped holes in the rear apron for attaching the arm pad to.
Two nice big wing nuts are used to attach the pad.
The pad is slotted for height adjustment.

here are some pictures I took this morning for you, this guitar is in the early stages but clearly shows how the arm pad attaches. Thank you folks , God bless.

Doc Hall

Galveston, Tx
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2013 5:59 am    

Right, Mark. It's a blue pad. Very Happy I'm adding a couple of photos with the pad attached. In retrospect, an add on pad still looks like an add on pad. I think Fred does a good job of incorporating it into the overall looks of the guitar.

Howard Smith

Post  Posted 25 Jun 2013 6:04 am    

Outstanding Fred.....I'm really considering one of these. I've been looking at the ETS as well. But I really like your guitars, and all the positive things I've been hearing about them. Just can't/don't want to haul my D10 around anymore, and am looking for a great sounding, light weight alternative. Thanks so much for posting.

Galveston, Tx
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2013 6:10 am    

I've spent the last couple of evenings playing the guitar through my Cube 80XL. I generally practice without an amp. All I can say is SWEET! It really beats my other guitar in all aspects. The other guitar is a major pro brand and is fine in its own right...but the Justice is just better. The tone really holds together great in the upper registers.
Dick Hitchcock

Wayne, Nebraska
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2013 5:00 pm    

Maybe I can help here a little bit..I had a Sho Bud fingertip that I loved, but it was way too heavy for an old goat like me....Met Fred and he put me into the S10 3X4 with the pad...If you played a double neck steel before, it is the most comfortable transition...Fred kept in touch through the whole building process, and was genuinely interested in my complete satisfaction..Every bit of my dealing with Fred has not only been professional, but also I think I have a new friend that wants me to enjoy this love of our instrument...You will never do better than playing a Justice...Thanks Fred....

Post  Posted 25 Jun 2013 5:10 pm    

I like this guitar. Just one thing that would make it even better. I think it was Bud Carter while at MSA, did some research that found that using an MSA puller with the rod pulling from the center inI stead of the side, gave a more balanced pull, and more accurate intonation. He continued that tradition at Carter while there.

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2013 6:11 pm    

that blue is very electrifying and beautiful. Fred builds a great guitar. Larry
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2013 6:51 pm    

I'd just like to say, at the present time, I own a Carter S-10 and also the Justice S-10. The Justice is equal or better in playability and sound quality to the Carter. And, in my opinion, to most any other guitar you could name. I think it's an amazing guitar. And I like the Carter quite a bit too! Very Happy
Doc Hall

Galveston, Tx
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2013 5:55 am    

Bill, that's been my experience as well. I have a center pull guitar and hesitated buying a side pull because it just made sense to me that the center pull would be more efficient and accurate. All I can say now is that it is a more complex interaction than I might have thought. The Justice is balanced, accurate, and has great intonation...and holds it all the way up the neck. Very cool. I'm pretty much blown away.
John Shadid

Oklahoma City, OK
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2013 12:55 pm    

Since we have your attention Fred, what is the difference between the judge and the pro lite?
Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2013 7:25 pm    

John thank you for your post. if you will email me your phone number at fredsmusic@q.com I'd be more than happy to call and explain the differences between any of our models and why each of them have a distinctive purpose.
One of the big differences is the weight, the Judge SD-10 is 35 lbs. and the Pro Lite is 26 lbs.

P.S.
BTW John, I'll be at the up coming Branson show with all models of my guitars, July 26,27,and 28, you can test drive each one,hope to see you there.
James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2013 8:59 am    

I have a black one just like this one. Its a really nice playing guitar and easy on the back...