| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wrong size string in a set
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2013 8:52 am    

Has anyone else ever had a wrong sized string in a new set of strings? I put on a set of E-9 strings, and then tried to tune up the 10th string. No way could I get the raise to C#. Then, I had a hard time pushing pedal 1 down. It took 14 pounds of pressure to push it. Something was wrong. I took out another .036 string, and found the one I put on was way bigger. Took it off, and filed it in the garbage. I learned a lesson, check each string before installing it.

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2013 10:23 am    

I once had a whole run of SIT Emons E9 sets like that: eighth string was same gauge as the 9th or 10th (don't quite remember now). Although the retailer was no help (which I thought was pretty poor service), SIT made it right by me and then some.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2013 2:12 pm    

Kline Uni/ Got a wrong 4th string from SIT. It was the only time since 1984, that I had to adjust a pull on the Kline. Realized it was the wrong string when I started playing, and it didn't feel right. Put the right gauge on, readjusted the pull, and haven't had to re-adjust a pull since then. Early Nineties. SIT really made it right.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2013 4:49 am    

I've had those problems over the years, but usually it's been easy spot, as I compare (visually) each string to the one beside it as I'm putting it on. On the couple of occasions that I didn't notice the difference, it became quite obvious as I tuned up the string. Smile

No big deal, strings are packed by humans and we all make mistakes, occasionally.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2013 6:59 am    

I always buy strings by the gauge and then there is never a problem.
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2013 9:02 am    

About the only guitar I ever worked on that stumped me was a Carter that had been worked on at the factory. For the life of me I couldn't get the 6th string to return true. I hate to admit it, but finally a call to Jerry Fessenden gave me the clue. Oh Well Wink He suggested checking the string gauges.

Turns out the 5th and 6th strings had been swapped when it was strung up. the .020 worked fine on the 5th but the .017 didn't have enough tension to return on the 6th.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2013 9:52 am    

Erv,
Mine was a case of wrong string in the right package.
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2013 4:54 pm    

Erv,
My problem was the same as Johns. Wrong string in the right package. Mine had to be around a .050. it was huge, and never noticed it when I installed it. Just glad I didn't break the finger when I depressed the pedal. Just had to go back and reset the travel, and the timing of both B strings, up to C#. on pedal A. But problem solved, and all I lost was some time, and tinkering.

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2013 6:13 am    

I see. Whoa!