| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  iPod/phone/pad effects apps
Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2013 12:40 pm    

Are these for real? Does anyone use them for steel and to what extent? Which connecting hardware do you prefer?

Bremerton, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2013 9:59 am     I use one...

These are essentially like a POD, except the GUI is very pretty, there's frequent software upgrades & a la carte purchase options, they fit in your pocket, and the music stops when your battery dies.

I've tried a few, the one I like most is called JamUp Pro. I use it in my living room and on my commute, which is an hour on the Washington State Ferry. The newer iOS devices with better chips perform with lower latency, so I appreciate my iPhone 5's speed. The Apogee Jam interface is studio quality and sounds excellent. Similar products are available from Sonoma Wire Works, Line6, IK Multimedia, and Griffin. There are some cheaper input devices that use the headphone/mic input. These use the iOS devices' built in ADC, which is not full-range, so I don't recommend this method.

The tweed amp and spring reverb sound great on my lap steel. If you're curious and/or greedy (as I am) about effects, there are many, and most cost extra. It eats a hole in my lunch money for sure, but, it's more acceptable than the cost of the real physical gear.

I don't jam with people much these days, but the couple times I did, I used this and it seemed to work ok.