| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C pedal tuning
Gerry Brown

Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2013 11:52 am    

Trying to tune my 4th string with C pedal down. Should go from E to F#. If I get the pedal down tuning right, it sharpens the E when i play it open. If I go back and retune the open E, it raises the the F# with pedal down. I tried backing off on the nut, which has helped when I've encountered this on other pedals and levers but this problem persists to the same degree regardless of how much I back off the nut. Any suggestions?
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2013 12:32 pm    

First, loosen the endplate tuner(s) for that string so there is some slack in the rod(s).
Make sure the changer fingers are not rasing or lowering the string.
Look underneath at where the pedal connects to the cross-rod.
There should be some kind of adjustable hard-stop there.
You need to adjust that stop so the distance the pedal moves before it stops is longer.
This will allow you to get the string up to F#, and also leave enough slack to tune the open-E.
You can get a feel for the distance needed by using an allen wrench to push the raise-finger in until it raises to F#.
Gerry Brown

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2013 5:56 am    

Pete-Thanks for the clear instructions. Your remedy seems to have done the trick.
I'm back in tune.
Gerry
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2013 6:11 am    

Glad you're back in biz.

Note for anybody posting about issues with their PSG:

PLEASE--

--post what guitar it is. There are far more similarities than differences in modern guitars but there are some specific adjustment points in individual steels that can more precisely be addressed if the model of steel is known. No problem--Pete had it covered here.

Another (IMO) worthwhile thing to be mentioned (in general) because I have encountered it more than one would think---be sure the pedals are not hitting the floor (or even close--different floor surfaces or set-up deviations can make this an intermittent problem which can be really frustrating to chase down.
Once, after a highly technical session of adjusting stops, lengths of pulls, leverages, etc, it was not a little embarrassing to find that the floor needed to be excavated underneath the steel.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2013 8:11 am    

Glad that that worked.
Jon is right, it is probably a good idea to mention the brand/model in help-needed posts.
The thing about setting your pedal height on an uncarpeted hard surface (home), and then having tuning issues when you move to a carpeted surface(rehearsal), is something that happens and can drive ya crazy.
The other thing I later thought I should have mentioned was to move the rod for that pull to a different hole in either the bell-crank or changer finger or both.
My knee-jerk reaction for that symptom was "pedal-travel-distance".
Gerry Brown

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2013 4:30 am    

Sorry about failing to identify the model. For what it's worth now, the guitar in question is a Fessenden S-10. Interestingly, I did notice that the C pedal was sitting rather low and while I was tweaking the undercarriage I adjusted the pedal up off the floor a little. Thanks again for the help.