| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  not electronics but effects boxes with and without legs -
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2013 6:41 am    

A few years ago I started building effects boxes on legs for steel players - I had seen steel players having problems adjusting knobs on effects on the floor. For Pedal Steel players, I said, "that was when the cussin started" - from bumping their heads on their steel - then lap steel players trying to hold on to a steel while adjusting. So I came up with these -

and

Then after putting them on facebook a guitar player asked if I could make them without legs Very Happy - I laughed to myself and sold some black ones in a couple different sizes.

Then I had a guy ask me for a fancy one so -

(above) That is hand tooled leather up in the corner of the front plus the handle was redone from the vinyl handle that was new to a matching leather handle.

Inside (below) has a hinged surface to tilt up after the box is open and close down for carrying.

all because a guy on facebook asked me to build one without legs.

Joe Naylor "Asleep at the Steel"
steelseats and other stuff
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2013 8:52 am    

Nice work Joe! All of it. That leatherwork is classy.
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2013 12:06 pm     Thanks

Thanks Darrell

I did not do the leather work - I left that to a pro.

Just trying to make what people need and can use. In the case of that case what the customer wanted.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2013 11:33 am     Thanks

Thanks for all the emails (and orders)

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Jim Priebe

Queensland, Australia - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2013 4:58 pm    

Joe

I've been using this for years.
Black Box + Hilton + Zoom effects all in lid of case (cheapo at the discount stores - when it's beat up just get another).
Two leads and One power to hook up. The hinge pins just pull out to lift the case top off.
Looks crap but nothing is pretty down there anyway - no one sees it on stage. Stage in the picture is on a small trailer. That day it was windy and wet but we stayed dry.

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2013 6:25 pm     Yes that works too

I found after making a couple that many have their own ideas on what works for them and that is AOK with me.

Lots seem to like the idea of the legs that fold up and the lid put back on using removable hinges and padding in the lid to hold the effects in place on velcro.

I have seen everything from a board painted black to complicated devices.

I like looking at everyones solutions.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com