| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey amp mods
Dwight Lewis

Huntsville, Alabama
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2013 1:29 pm    

I have 2 Session 500's, 1 Classic 400, and 1 NV112. I keep hearing about chip modifications. I was wondering, what are the benefits ie, volume, compression limits etc.? Can I install them myself or do I need to have it professionlly installed? How long does it last?
Thanks
Dwight

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2013 7:02 am    

On the 500s, it's easy. It'll take you longer to pull the chassis than to swap chips, and it's pretty obvious which chips to swap.
The 112, some don't have sockets, so you'll have to solder the new ones after desolderiing the old ones.

The 400 doesn't use chips: its mods involve replacing individual caps and resistors.
They should last nearly forever unless static or line spikes fry them.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2013 7:38 am    

The mods that Ken Fox did on my Nashville 400, included several capacitors and resistors, and not just the chips. I still remember receiving the bag of replaced parts from Ken, and there were quite a few. But changing just the chips should give you some improvement.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2013 7:53 am    

To attempt to answer another part of the question, the amps with the chips use them (they're operational amplifiers, or op amps) to boost or cut some frequencies. Each op amp adds its own flavor. It shouldn't change any performance specs, just the flavor.
Here's some info on op amps. They're clever.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_amplifier
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2013 9:38 am     Peavey Tone Mod Kits

Lane, we still offer the tone mod kit for your Session 500 amps, but there was no tone kit for our Classic Series amplifier models and the Nashville 112 already has the tone mod kit incorporated into its circuit.

It is preferred that a qualified technician install the kit for you as it will take an hour or so on each amplifier. If you send the amp chassis and power module to us here at the factory, our factory techs will be glad to install the 500 kits for you. Our labor rate is $55.00 per hour plus the kit price of $36.35 and return freight. The kit can be ordered through our factory parts department by calling toll free in North America at 1-877-732-8391, ext.1386.

You may send the chassis and power module only postage prepaid to;
Peavey Service Center
Attn; Repair Department
412 Hwy. 80 East
Meridian, MS 39301

Thanks,
Mike Brown
Peavey USA
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2013 12:59 pm    

The chip mods change the amps tone, not the volume or compression. The N112 does not come with the BB 2134PA audio chips mod, it has a so called tone mod circuit similar to the N400, I suppose. I have yet to ever see any factory modded N400 or N112 that ever came with Burr Brown chips. The mod kits from Peavey did in fact have the old Burr Brown chips, 2604AP, in their kit for user install.
John Phinney

Long Beach California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2013 1:28 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:

The 400 doesn't use chips: its mods involve replacing individual caps and resistors.
They should last nearly forever unless static or line spikes fry them.

This is incorrect; the Peavey factory mod kit includes 6 new OpAmp chips.

http://www.peavey.com/support/steelguitaristinfo/

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2013 1:39 pm    

We have a Nashville-400 that gets used for all kinds of things. We even use it for a back-up PA system once in a while. I had Ken modify it. No doubt we could have done the mods here, but making amps sound good is second nature to Ken Fox. Whatever he did to it, you could now call it a Nashville 800. Ken's new ICs and capacitors really opened-up the amp. Like all Nashville-400s it was already plenty loud, but steel players aren't in a loudness war, we're in it for the tone. I'm sure you'll find the characteristics of your amp will be greatly improved. . . at any volume level. There are a lot of posts on here thanking Ken Fox. Add mine to the list.

Warmest regards,
Craig Baker

706-485-8792

cmbakerelectronics@gmail.com

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024

Last edited by Craig Baker on 20 Jun 2013 7:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2013 3:06 pm    

[quote="John Phinney"][quote="Lane Gray"]
They should last nearly forever unless static or line spikes fry them.[/quote]

This is incorrect; the Peavey factory mod kit includes 6 new OpAmp chips.

http://www.peavey.com/support/steelguitaristinfo/[/quote]

Classic 400 is a tube amp.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hartsafire.com/images/music/rig/classic_400.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/4664-Peavey-Classic-400-all-tube-bass-head&h=537&w=600&sz=130&tbnid=MeuoxOmOEjljmM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=97&zoom=1&usg=__uvDj6xKDu8jOVu6_jstK_rgpUqo=&docid=ULGk1PdNVRdXPM&sa=X&ei=hYvDUY_RKZSe9QTIoYDwCA&ved=0CDcQ9QEwAg&dur=303
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2013 4:43 pm    

Lane was probably thinking of the old Session 400 amp, which has no chips. Brad Sarno's Session 400 Geek page has a mod that has worked very well on mine.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bradsarno/session_400page.html