| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Removing Name Decal on Steel
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2003 12:57 pm    

What is the best way to remove the maker's name decal on a steel guitar? It had been placed on top of the wood, not under the lacquer. Over time, while in the case, part of it has been bunching up & I'd like to replace it without harming the guitar's surface. Thanks in advance, Steve
Jim West

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2003 1:08 pm    

If it's the vinyl type of stick-on you can probably get it off by warming it up with a blow dryer.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2003 2:01 pm    

There is also a 3M aerosol product sold in automotive stores used to remove pin striping and so on from cars that should work.
Terry Wendt

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2003 8:21 pm    

hmmm... sounds good Erv
Gino Iorfida

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2003 8:44 pm    

Naptha -- aka Zippo (or Ronsonol) Lighter fluid (not to be confused w/ charcoal lighter fluid which is mineral spirits or kerosene).

Naptha is 100% safe for lacquered or mica finishes, and dissolves adhesives better than anything I know (about on par with lacquer thinner, but not as dangerous to the finish!)... in fact, when finishing, naptha is used to clean any traces of oil (from fingers etc) and other dirt from the wood/layers of finish, and is also used between coats after the sanding to help remove the dust, and again, any hand/finger oils that may have deposited themselves...

if the decal is lifting up, work a little naptha under, and lift, andkeep doing it.. after the decal is off, a rag soaked in naptha will clean the residue off, and prepare the surface for the new decal..

Just don't smoke around the stuff for obvious reasons
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2003 11:21 pm    

Isn't there a Federal or State Law WARNING everyone NOT TO REMOVE the 'tags' or 'decals' from any steel guitar manufactured in the USA or the UK? I tho't I saw that written somewhere; or, did that have to do with mattresses or seat cushions?
Oh well, I don't know any more. Just forget it.
Jim West

Post  Posted 17 Apr 2003 6:44 am    

I think your right Ray, there may be some underlying legal issues here. Do we have any lawyers out there?
Ed Mooney

Evanston,IL
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2003 7:50 am    

Hey Steve, this is a little off topic but I was thinking about you the other day, with all the news of SARS. Did your band all get fancy Nudie embroidred face masks to go with those fancy outfits you wear?.....just kidding of course, but take care over there.
Ed
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2003 9:14 pm    

Thanks everyone who responded; I have several approaches to try now. Ed, presently even white surgical masks have been hard to find the last three days here in Beijing, so no rhinestone covered, highly embroidered masks yet. Stay healthy,
Steve
Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2003 7:42 pm    

Steve, I asked Bill (?)Smith, then owner of the ZB Guitar Co. in Phoenix, this same question back in the 80s. He replied saying just heat a wash cloth with hot water and hold it on the decal until the glue softens. The Decal can then be removed. With microwaves available today, heat the wet cloth in the microwave to as hot as your hand can hold it, and do the same.

[This message was edited by Fred Layman on 28 April 2003 at 08:45 PM.]

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2003 10:00 pm    

I'd try Goo-Gone.