| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Learning Curve
Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2003 6:28 pm    

It occurred to me that if I had to start learning from scratch right now, at age 39 it would be diffcult for me. I'm glad that I was able to lock myself in my room for hours on end when I was a teenager, and wear holes in my old record albums trying to figure out how a certain lick was played.

On the other hand, I seem to learn something new about the guitar every time I sit down to play, even now. Sometimes it seems as if I've only scratched the surface of understanding the instrument - no, make that MOST of the time!

Any thoughts?

JC
Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2003 6:32 pm    

Wow!, Jody!!
Being 55 and starting this at age 53, your post makes me want to sell my steel! But I certainly can understand where you are coming from.

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2003 6:42 pm    

Jody,
I started back in the 50s on a flattop squareneck Ohau steel,$2.00 a week for I don't remember how long,but I was hooked long before that and often wonder what/where I would be now if family/dayjob had not sidetracked my PSG aspirations,just returned after about 20 odd years of not playing and the information available now is mind boggling. A person starting now has it made compared to say the 40s or 50s with the quality of instruments and information available.

------------------
Bill Ford
Steel tryin

Macon, Ga.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2003 7:01 am    

Just watch the RIVER FLOW. Where ever you are can be a good place in the steel guitar learning curve. The're are many frustrated ACCOMPLISHED Steel players that cant' get a gig or even a little recognition they deserve. So frustration is just part of the AFFAIR.
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2003 8:25 am    

I wish I had the "frustrations" that BE or DG or LG or PF, ad-infinitum have.

God bless them, and all of you,

carl
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2003 8:30 am    

I am a 47 learning the PSG from scratch. I do have 30 years of dobro, but that actually is limited preparation for this. But I don't regret starting now. I only regret not taking the plunge several dacades ago.
I have made more progress in the last month than I would have suspected before. But it is just enough now to see how long the road ahead is.
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2003 9:24 am    

Bill Ford, sums it up pretty good. There is no comparison with learning today and in the late 30's.

Now with all the excellent teaching materials, CD's, Backups, etc. the learning curve can be so much quicker, so you can get started at any age, Jody Cameron, and do quite well. Just ask the guys here on the Forum. Good luck.....al
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2003 10:55 am    

I seem to be taking my playing completely apart and putting it back together again. I've played for 20 years and I'm 54 taking a jazz improvisation class at a local college playing my steel in class. Ithas been soooo damm frustrating at times but I am beginning to see some really cool things emerging......If we would have had computers and programs like Band in a box 20 years ago who knows where pedal steel playing would have been today. It just keeps getting better baby!
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2003 10:57 am    

P.S. There is a book out by Jamie Ambersold called Beginning jazz improvisation. Costs $15.00 and is LOADED with stuff you can learn on the steel.Has a CD with it so you can hear the scales if you don't read music.
Byron Walcher

Ketchum, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2003 6:18 pm    

That sounds like a great book, where can it be found?
Thanks,
Byron
Troy Porter

Globe AZ USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2003 7:28 pm    

Jody, all those hours locked in your room and wearing holes in your records to learn a lick has certainly paid off for you. Texas is full of great steel guitar players and you are definatly one of them.
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2003 9:09 pm    

Hi JC, You not only scrathed the surface, you dug a tremendous hole. I am real proud of the small part that I contributed to your playing career. I found a great 12 bar and 16 bar blues cd we need to get together on. I know what you mean about playing as several times I have "stalled" and couldn't get out of the same old rut. We need to get together soon. JB. (you folks that have not heard Jody play need to check him out. You won't be sorry).
Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2003 5:10 am    

Thanks JB and Troy

Hey JB Sanders! Yes, I would be VERY remiss by not acknowledging the contribution that you made to my playing career; and I am VERY glad to count you as one of my best friends/father figure/mentor/drinking buddy/steel playin'/girl chasin'...Oops better stop there, somebody might be listening!

Seriously though, lets hook up soon JB, I still have not seen your latest guitar.

JC
Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2003 6:25 am    

Byron,

The book by Jamie (Jamey) Aebersold (this is the correct spelling) can be found at: Guitargallerymusic.com...just look under the first column for his name, and click. You will be looking for "How to Play Jazz" Vol.I.
There is a complete discription of the material. Looks very good!
Dennis Lobdell

Freeport,Tx,USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2003 7:06 am    

Hi Jody: What JB said. All I can add is impeccable tone always and an asset to the steel guitar community.

Dennis