| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  pickup not lined up with strings
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 27 May 2013 1:47 am    

I bought a sho bud and have noticed the pickup is not in line with the strings, I checked under the pickup and there are no otherscrew holes other then the one made by sho bud. Could it have been made like this..http://img541.imageshack.us/i/p1020040u.jpg/
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 May 2013 4:31 am    

Hard to tell, but would the orientation be the same if you rotate it 180 degrees? Sometimes they are offset toward one end.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 May 2013 4:38 am    

Possibly, I suspect the changer and/or pickup might have been replaced at one point or another. (A different pickup certainly could have the same mounting holes, but different pole position/spacing.) It even looks like the pickup could be rotated 180 degrees to lessen the problem, since the distance between the two screws and the end poles seems to be different on each end. Old 'Buds were far from mechanical preciseness, but the bottom line here is that I really wouldn't worry about it unless it affects the sound (which I doubt). As long as the volume string-to-string is okay, it's not important.

Anapeg even had a pickup where the poles were between the strings, but it must have sounded okay?

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 27 May 2013 7:26 am    

I turned it around and it is much better...
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 27 May 2013 7:27 am    

I turned it around and it is much better...
Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 27 May 2013 8:40 am    

John, I also noticed the spacing between the strings is not the same.
Try to keep all the strings right in the middle of the changer fingers.

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 May 2013 9:31 am    

I put Bill Lawrence 710's in my Carter and noticed the strings are just a hair off from the poles pieces on some strings. I think they are close enough to not cause any sound quality issue. But that one in your picture looks a little too far off, but maybe the sound quality is just as good as if they lined up perfectly.

It's been a while since I have owned a Sho~Bud, but weren't their pickups made with 2 mounting screws at one end and one at the other? That would make turning it around a little difficult unless you drill the holes that were out of place when you turned it around. It seems both my Professional and Super-Pro pickups were like that.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.