| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Greyhound Shipping: Pros/cons
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2003 6:53 pm    

I seem to recall a thread on shipping using Greyhound that was fairly positive, but could not find it. Has anyone used Greyhound Buslines for shipping? If so, how has it worked out in terms of cost, time in transit, safety, damage, insurance, etc.? Thanks, Steve
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2003 7:20 pm    

I think Greyhound shipping is really cruel, and that it should be outlawed in all civilized societies. There is often poor temperature control, and sometimes the crates leak and rain gets in. A lot of times the dogs are not sedated before shipping and they get really nervous and pee in the crate, and then have to lie in it for the rest of the trip. Poor things!

What? You say what? Not dogs? Huh? Oh... "busses"? You meant "Greyhound Busses"?? Oh. Well,... never mind.

-- Emily Litella

[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 11 April 2003 at 08:22 PM.]

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2003 9:27 pm    

Heh, Jim, I'm with you; I don't want to ship the dogs themselves but would not be opposed to having them carry a steel guitar for me if meets my criteria. On second thought, I'd better go with the Greyhound bus rather than dog option. Steve
Ann Fabian

Mesquite, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2003 1:52 pm    

We used Greyhound as an alternative during the UPS strike a few years ago. However, I think they had a limit at the time of $1,000 insurance. I'm not sure what their limit is now. All the freight we sent with them arrived safe and sound.

Ann Fabian
Carter Steel Guitars www.SteelGuitar.com
David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2003 7:03 pm    

I shipped an Ampeg bass cabinet that was too big for UPS ground via Greyhound a few months ago. It got there in one piece and within 24 hours if I remember correctly. It seems like their prices were in line with normal UPS ground prices too. One bus (from here to Chicago anyway), no conveyor belts and from what I could tell a lot less handling than UPS. Not sure what their max was on insurance though.................
Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2003 5:45 am    

I was the one who talked about Greyhound shipping. I purchased two steels in Alberta, on two separate occasions, and they were shipped to me in Montreal by bus, about 3000, miles. Not only was it the cheapest way, but I had both steels in about 4 days. I didn't even think you could drive that far in 4 days.
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2003 6:10 am    

The 1000.000 insurance limit, if it is still in place, is a concern. I know someone who lost a guitar and was stuck with that limit. Having said that, I have used Greyhound for shipping stuff a few times recently, and thought very highly of the service.