| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Volume Pedal Problem
joe long

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2003 6:54 pm    

Just recently I started realizing the lack of volume I was getting from the pedal. I kept increasing the volume on the amp. This has probably been going on for years but I never paid attention to it. The problem is, the pedal bottoms out against the floor before reaching max output. Is there a cure for this problem? I have always liked having the volume attached to the pedal bar. I have tried adjusting the pot but get the max volume but then when the pedal is all the up there is still to much volume. I like to hear just a slight sound from the guitar when the pedal is full up or off. Would appreciate any suggestions.
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2003 7:31 pm    

Joe, when I was using an Emmons pedal I carried two furniture coasters with me so when we played on carpet I put those under the front legs. Now that I use a Hilton,
(which I sell) I don't have that problem any more. I could pack a Hilton in your case when I send it back to you. Until then, try putting something under the front legs. You should not have that problem except on carpet.
Jerry

[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 21 April 2003 at 08:33 PM.]

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2003 3:10 am    

Joe;
First check to see how far the pedal goes down before you have sound. That will limit the high end of the volume range.

[Strum across the strings with no volume. See how much pedal travel there is before the sound comes thru. (Most players adjust the pot to be off. Some adjust it to be at a rhythm volume.) If there is a lot of travel you might need to adjust it. Use the tuning allen wrench and a needle nosed pliers to make the adjustment.]

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2003 9:03 am    

I'm sorry Joe, I understood you to indicate that you had too much volume when the pedal was in completely off position and when you corrected that you did not have full volume which indicated there was not enough travel.
JR
emil noothout

Amsterdam, Netherlands
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2003 10:27 am    

I had the same problem, it was cured when i put only one winding of string (is this the correct word?) around the shaft of the pot, and put quite some tension on it. Now the shaft can turn over a longer range then before, i adjusted it: full sound - almost no sound.
joe long

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2003 5:44 pm    

Thanks for all the information. Never thought about using the coasters nor did think about wrapping the string just one time. Jerry, I was attempting to find a compromise with the volume. I changed the adjustment so that I would have more volume on the bottom so that when the pedal was open I would have the volume that I needed. The only problem there was the volume on the bottom end was to loud.