| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Getting used to 12 strings
MIchael Bean

North Of Boston
Post  Posted 19 May 2013 12:24 pm    

I've been thinking about going to a 12 string extended E9. Did anybody here have a hard time getting used to the extra strings or did it fall into place easily?
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 May 2013 12:33 pm    

I went to U12 which is a little more difficult, losing the 9th string D, but my experience was---yes, there is a bit of pain, some disorientation. If you anchored your hand and eyes to the 10th string B, you feel like the rug has been pulled out from under you and counting up 5 strings to your E instead of 3....it shakes you up a bit. But it is temporary. I never felt like I'd made a mistake and in maybe...6 weeks?...I was comfortable.
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2013 2:46 pm    

It took me awhile to get use to my Ext E9. I kept accidentally hitting the D string, which is why I went to that tuning in the first place. After a few years now, I can't imagine ever buying a 10 string. Love still having the D!!!

I found a whole other use for the 9th string D-C# lower in the process... just for staying out of trouble. Winking

Once you get use to all the new possibilities on the low strings, I'm sure you'll feel the same way.
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 May 2013 1:05 am    

It didn't take me long, probably a couple of days. It's basically the thumb anchor position. I've since gone Universal from 1982. I think I'd find it more awkward to go back to a 10 string now Smile

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 20 May 2013 1:56 am    

I'll have to admit I wimped out on the 12 string. I have a pretty nice old MSA Classic S-12 but a previous owner must have taken off the pedals that make the 11th & 12th string changes. I tried for a while but it was like not having an E to Eb knee lever to me. I took off the two bottom strings and use it as a ten string.
Like some of the other guys I had a hard time getting acclimated to the extra strings and I had to count up from the 12th to locate the lower B or E strings.
I had been playing a D10 for almost 40 years when I got the S12 and I'm too old and set in my ways to change now.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2013 4:47 am    

Bought my Kline U-12 on a Thursday. Played my Shobud that night, cuz I was a bit uncertain. Woodshedded the Kline the next day, and played it that night, and for the next 20 years.
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2013 5:07 am    

One method it to take a red magic marker and color the 8th string... After a week or two I got used to it.
Optical illusion.
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 20 May 2013 5:46 am    

What Ken said,,,'cept I used black,,,,,until the first time strings were changed,,,,uni forever!!! Keyless to the core!!!
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 20 May 2013 7:53 am    

It took a surprisingly short time to get used to the 12 string--but I'd never go back to[just] 10!

Chris
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 20 May 2013 8:37 am    

The string spacing on my U-12 seemed a little cramped at first,but playing on a 10 string now feels like the wide open spaces.
Andrew Kilinski

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 20 May 2013 9:52 am    

It's been a few months since i've started on a U-12, and the whole "optical illusion" thing definitely got me. I still feel like I can't even see the 1st string for whatever reason, but i'm slowly making progress with the string spacing and that "invisible" first string.