| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Red Kilby, A Year Ago...
Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2012 7:30 am    

It's hard to believe that our friend, Red Kilby has been gone for one year now. He sure was a friend to the steel guitarist and although he didn't play, he sure loved the instrument. He loved to sing with us playing behind him... no doubt about that!!!

I still think of him often and I miss our many phone conversations of music, steel guitar, trains, cars and about everything in-between. He was a good friend and I miss him very much. Rest In Peace in The Lord's loving embrace my friend, Red. But know for sure that you are missed.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2012 10:08 am    

I got to know Red through his trips here to Florida, as his father had retired here. He was a dear friend of the steel guitar community.

A sad loss.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2012 11:16 am    

So true, Tiny! Red was one of the best humans to attend steel shows or anything else. We had such great times and laughs together over the years... he's still missed and his passing is still a shock.

Linda attended the SWSGA steel show this year and Jimbeaux paid homage to Red and dedicated "Fly Me To The Moon" to him and Linda. A great moment and one of Jim's shining performances.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Lorraine Worth

Springview, Nebraska USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2012 6:51 pm    

I bet Red is loving it that we're all thinking about him today!!! I, like so many of you - miss him terribly!

And for those of you who remember Red's granddaughter "Gumpy's Girl" - well........she had a baby girl on October 2nd so Red is officially a great-Gumpy now! Her name is Lila Rae. Can you all imagine how proud he is!?!?!?!

I can see him grinning from here Very Happy

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2012 7:32 pm    

Tiny, thanks for starting this thread to commemorate the day of Red's passing. He is definitely missed here in steel-guitar-land. Yes, Herb, that was a wonderful moment at SWSGA; the band came out swingin' for the hills for Red and you could feel that the audience was right there with us through it all. Of course, I dedicated my recording of "Fly Me..." on my new album to Red as he loved so much to sing that with me. RIP, ole pal.
J'beaux
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2012 7:41 pm    

We sure miss Red at The Rick Alexander Non Pedal Sessions in Dallas......Red was Rick's FAVORITE singer and when Rick passed away Red was beside himself......Red continued to grace our stage and each year he put together an all star show in commemoration of Rick......

When Red passed, Jeff & I were (still are) beside ourselves......we will continue in the spirit of Red & Rick to keep the music and their memories alive.....

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2012 10:15 pm    

I miss you, buddy, and this will continue for a long, long time.

Your friend Walter

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2012 3:34 am    

Red always made me welcome when I was in the States.....had a few beers together...took me up to the room where Ralph Mooney was rehearsing with his band and introduced me to every one...even lent me his Cowboy Hat while he took my Pic with Moon !!

Also sent his CD to me ..No Charge !!

Miss you Red
Tony
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2012 8:40 am    

Red was always quick with a smile and and handshake, and absolutely loved playing at steel shows-- you could see it.

He left us with a fine CD with 5 legendary steel players backing him on it.

I too hope he rests in peace.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2012 9:32 am    

there's not much more to add to what has already been said, except that we met a couple of times and he was very friendly, and I liked him.

F--- cancer.
bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2012 1:22 pm    

we all miss Red!
i told him once he could sing the yellow pages & get a standing ovation. he got a kick out of that one.
and dont forget the woman behind the man, ms. Linda!
lovya red & linda
bruce & lynn

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2012 6:41 am    

Red was a great friend to the steel guitar community. I miss him and his warm smile.
Chuck
Rick Jackson

Carson City, Nevada
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2012 3:36 pm    

Red was a force of nature! You knew when he was in the room. Wish he could have stayed around longer...rj
Gary Sill

Mt. Zion, IL, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2012 5:52 pm     Dear Red,

You are a void in my life. I miss talking and making jokes, going over our songs we are to do together, talking about all the great people in your life.

Every once in a life time a person like Red might appear in your life. I was lucky to have met Red. I learned many things from him. It is very much inconceivable that another Red Kilby could appear on the scene in Steel Guitar. He had it in his heart and he loved providing the song in his heart so the steel guitar community could share.

God bless you Red. Linda my thoughts are with you and your entire family.

Gary
A beautiful Laquer Mullen G2, 2 Nashville 112's, Evans 10" R150 Amp,1982 Emmons Push Pull D-10, Hilton Pedals, 12/8 MSA Superslide, Green LDG Sho-Bud-Owned by Lloyd, S-6 Fender 1956 Lap. , Gretsch Country Gentleman, red Gibson 2019, ES 335, Quilter, Gretsch Resonator, Eastman Mandolin
Gary Sill

Mt. Zion, IL, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2012 5:52 pm     Dear Red,

You are a void in my life. I miss talking and making jokes, going over our songs we are to do together, talking about all the great people in your life.

Every once in a life time a person like Red might appear in your life. I was lucky to have met Red. I learned many things from him. It is very much inconceivable that another Red Kilby could appear on the scene in Steel Guitar. He had it in his heart and he loved providing the song in his heart so the steel guitar community could share.

God bless you Red. Linda my thoughts are with you and your entire family.

Gary
A beautiful Laquer Mullen G2, 2 Nashville 112's, Evans 10" R150 Amp,1982 Emmons Push Pull D-10, Hilton Pedals, 12/8 MSA Superslide, Green LDG Sho-Bud-Owned by Lloyd, S-6 Fender 1956 Lap. , Gretsch Country Gentleman, red Gibson 2019, ES 335, Quilter, Gretsch Resonator, Eastman Mandolin
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2012 6:58 pm     Rip

He and I became closer when we were both recovering from surgeries. We had always been friends but called each other often during that time. He and I continued calling about once a week.

That last time he was on his way to St. Louis he called from the airport and told me how he was looking forward to being back with his steel guitar friends.

I always told him as many others, that he wa a great part of the "steel guitar family"

RIP Mr Red

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2012 4:38 am    

I still keep his name and phone # in my cell phone just to look at once in a while..I spent a lot of time with Red at the 011 show and we hung out at the Airport before heading our ways.. We had made plans for a Florida Show with Smiley ..He gave some great vocals at the 11 STL show..No one would have expected him to leave us so soon..RIP my good friend You are remembered..
Laurie Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2012 4:53 pm    

I too miss Red. Roy and I got to know him when he played in Florida. He could sing and always had a smile. Linda, he is probably up in heaven singing with the best band in the world. Roy, John Hughey, and so many more. God's Blessings, Laurie
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 5 May 2013 10:36 pm    

RIP Red.
I just watched my daughter grab the maroon Sho-Bud cap he sent me
and wear it to school. And that had me thinking of him and his passing.
It also made me marvel at the worlds cross cultural movements in recent years.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Leslie Elliott

Madison, Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2013 6:00 am     Red Kilby - my friend

I first met Red Kilby when he joined the Gene Watson Fan Club, that I was heading up, and we began chatting about something to do in Nashville. So I invited him to come to the dance that Ron was playing with Johnny Carver in Lebanon. He and his wife came out, he sang a couple of songs with the band and had a great time - good dancer too. Then while he and I were talking he told me how much he loved the steel guitar - so I told him about our steel shows and invited him to come to St. Louis and he did. This was the start of him coming to as many of the steel shows as he could and having the time of his life. The last time he was in St. Louis he came to our booth and sat with me and told me what a great time he had been having since his first visit to St. Louis and that it was all my fault - he thanked me and said that he was so happy that he had met me and I told him about St. Louis and our steel shows. He sure was a great supporter for the steel shows along with being a great singer. I sure miss him and his train whistle that he would call me and blow it for me. RIP dear friend.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 7 May 2013 8:30 am    

OH yeah, Those middle of the night Train Whistles...Miss them.
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2013 9:45 pm     RIP buddy

This was the last time I seen Red. He told me he was doing fine and was scheduled to take one more treatment in two weeks just for saftey sake. He developed a reaction to that treatment and it killed him. Red was my buddy.RIP my friend.

BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 8 May 2013 6:16 am    

The day Red Left us, I was in Pueblo CO picking up a 1984 Lacquer D10 Mullen to refurbish....It was RED...When I finished it, I signed the undercarriage IMO Red Kilby...The guitar went on its way....And yesterday, it was right back here in my house with a student of mine that now owns it...I told him the story of his guitar, and showed him pictures of the man it was dedicated to...So, I get to think of Red every Monday...RIP my friend..

Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Last edited by Mickey Adams on 22 May 2013 4:06 am; edited 3 times in total
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 9 May 2013 12:29 pm    

Red added so much to our non pedal room in Dallas.....we dearly miss him........
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2013 12:30 pm    

Red was a jewel of a person! His table was next to ours at the Dallas show, and we got pretty close. He was funny, spontaneous, and full of life! I loved hearing him sing with Jim Cohen and Dan Tyack. I still have a vision of him grabbing Linda, and twirling her around the room near his table. He was crazy about her!

We miss you, Red............
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com