| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A question about Dekley steel guitars
Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2013 7:01 pm    

I have one question, who built the Dekley steel guitars?, Steve B.
Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2013 7:12 pm    

Jim Gurley who, at the time, hailed from Connecticut. He was arrested and convicted in the mid-80's on some drug dealing (cocaine) and was thereafter banned from the Convention....as were Dekley guitars!!!
PRR
Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2013 10:42 pm    

Quote:
. . who built the Dekley steel guitars?

Bob Dekam was the 'Dek' and Jim Gurley was the 'ley'.
Jim was the mechanical design brains behind it and
Jim Gurley was the marketing/promotion brains.
Jim Smith was plant manager and also offered up
design input.
~Russ
Mike Moffitt

South Carolina
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2013 6:02 am     Dekley Company Question

Not meaning to ruffle any feathers but I really don't think there was any need for the personal information about the supposed Jim Gurley "Drug" situation.
I knew the man personally for about 15 years,not only as a friend,but he also produced and played steel for me on 2 record albums.
Company information was the subject,not the personal lives of the founders etc.
Just my thoughts on this matter.
Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2013 6:22 pm     DekLey guitars question 2

I there a chance Bob Dekam could build them again?
Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2013 6:24 pm    

Quote:
I there a chance Bob Dekam could build them again?
Not from the grave :>(
Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2013 9:37 pm    

Mike - I certainly didn't mean to ruffle any feathers either. However, at the time, his "problems" spilled over into the business side of things as more and more dealers began to handle Dekley guitars. I almost became a dealer at the time as Jim wanted someone who could also service what he sold. We had a long talk about many things. Before I could even discuss anything further with him, the poo-poo done hit the fan!!! One can hardly separate the personal side from the business side, as one had such a profound and direct effect on the other...and all the guitar dealers and owners involved. I was personally pretty sad about the whole thing back then because I really thought the Dekley guitar was a fine instrument. I believe the whole thing was unfortunate.
PRR
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2013 5:43 am    

I agree Mike, Too much information..... a simple answer would suffice without dragging in allegations. I own a D10 and it is one of the finest built guitars I've ever seen and stays in tune flawlessly. Jim Smith roams about on this forum and is more than glad to help and answer any questions, that's my experience anyaways. The only drawback to these guitars ...they are heavy! But I have not noticed any cabinet drop at any time. I would wager that at least most of the builders are not " lily white" from their past. JMHO Mr. Green
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2013 8:51 am    

Paul Redmond wrote:
[...]banned from the Convention....as were Dekley guitars[...]
Interesting ... the Dekley steels were banned?
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2013 9:23 am    

did he drive a delorean?
Dwight Lewis

Huntsville, Alabama
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2013 9:30 am     Dekleys, bring them back somebody

They are fine guitars, still to this day and totally underrated. I have 3 and have had at least 6over my short years of playing, and all models have sounded the same, wonderful.

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2013 9:48 am    

What Paul Redmond Said. Very Happy
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2013 9:50 am     Re: Dekleys, bring them back somebody

Dwight Lewis wrote:
They are fine guitars, still to this day and totally underrated. I have 3 and have had at least 6 over my short years of playing, and all models have sounded the same, wonderful.
+1

Have 2 (and have owned 2 more). My Dekley steel's tone-range and stability is the reason I still play after 33 years, as the other steel brands/models I own simply can't deliver and stand my style of playing and have therefore ended up as lab-rats Very Happy
Dwight Lewis

Huntsville, Alabama
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2013 2:15 pm     Dekley slimline

Some people say it was too heavy, but I say a good pedall steel needs to have good stability and feel. I will take stability any day...on the other hand I don't gig a D10 Dekley slimline twice a week. My s10 in the picture its pretty solid.

Dwight Laughing

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2013 9:56 am    

...and they can be modified. Of all the guitars I've owned, this one has gotten played the most, over the past 25 years.
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2013 1:25 pm     Solid & smooth

Dekley guitars have a very different look. Mine used to belong to Bill Stroud of BJS bars. These steels are as solid and smooth as they come. Levers are chromes. Pedals are in a "D" shape steve t

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2013 1:43 am    

Yes, they were banned at the Convention. I didn't know that until Scotty himself told me that in Knoxville back in the mid-1980's. So please don't be so quick to kill the messenger here. The "problem" caused quite a stir in the steel guitar community at the time and there seemed to be no resolution to the "problem". Al Petty had been playing a multi-pedal Dekley at the time, then switched to a Sierra. But upon switching back to his Dekley, he was told in no uncertain terms that the logo on the front of the guitar either had to be removed or covered when he went on the stage. He removed it. I discussed the scenario with him in 1987....I'm not blowing smoke rings. The Scott family was livid over the association of drugs with steel guitars, that the Dekley was banned.
I've said all I intend to on this subject as it has obviously ruffled a bunch of feathers. However, I do live in the real world and conveyed such in a prior post. I feel it was a most unfortunate turn of events as I felt that Dekley guitars had a lot of unique features...which is why I wanted to become a dealer and service center at the get-go. Sometimes the truth hurts....deal with it.
PRR
John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2013 6:27 am    

The ironic thing about that bit of history to me is that steel guitars are very closely associated with one of the most addictive and damaging drugs out there - alcohol. (As a man who doesn't mind the sauce myself, I'm not casting stones - just noting the irony or hypocrisy for lack of a better word.) Half the songs we all love containing steel discuss the stuff. Wish the end of the story was that those central to the convention reached out to Jim and gave him the help and support he needed. I wasn't there, though, so maybe that is what happened.

Anyway, they are beautiful guitars. I wish there were more around here to try out. I am intrigued by their look and rave reviews accompanied with prices that aren't through the roof. Any famous recordings on Dekleys anyone can recommend?
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2013 7:42 am    

In my opinion, the demise of Dekley steels was a tragedy. They are among the best sounding all pull guitars around, and the construction and mechanics are outstanding. Tone-wise they are wonderful.

If you were to research posts about them you'll see that the only real complaint about them is their weight...definitely on the heavy side. I've owned 2 of them and a bunch of MSAs, and many others, and the Dekley is in my top 5 best guitars of all time. Simply a great design and very reliable steel.

If I were still gigging like I use to do, I'd have the Dekley on the road with me. No question about it.
Jim Curtain

Phoenix,Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2013 6:31 pm    

My Dekley is my first "pro" steel, very happy with mine, I will buy a d-10 when the time is right.
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 May 2013 8:27 pm    

John Scanlon, I beleive you are right on the money about the irony of the "bad" drugs vs. permissable drugs (booze) double standard. As for the Dekleys themselves, they are great sounding, mechanically sound, solidly built, relatively inexpensive, and pleasant to the ear in my humble opinion. stevet
Jack Bowman

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2013 10:04 pm    

steve takacs wrote:
John Scanlon, I beleive you are right on the money about the irony of the "bad" drugs vs. permissable drugs (booze) double standard. As for the Dekleys themselves, they are great sounding, mechanically sound, solidly built, relatively inexpensive, and pleasant to the ear in my humble opinion. stevet

I speak from experience. There is no connection in the real world, that is defensable, that says any kind of instrument is evil.
I taught the senior kids in Sunday School and they wanted to put on a musical program wherein I was to play a guitar while they sang ( just to hold the pitch).......The 2 deacons and ruling elder would not allow it. They said that I made my living by playing that guitar in beer joints and it would not be allowed in the church building. I replied that there was no evil in the guitar wood or steel and that it was just like the wood in the church building, which could have been part of the same tree that was used in building the local whorehouse. Also, they did not differentiate my tithing dollars from anyone else. This ended my teaching career in a Sunday school and my attendance in that church.
Play and love those Decleys ...or ...send'em to me. They are sweet instruments. Just saying!
Fender 400 PSG 4+2
buncha amps
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 3 May 2013 11:03 am    

A Dekley was my first 10 string. Cut my eye teeth on it. Now I have three of them.

The Royal Blue Emmons LGII comes out of the case if I get to gig, but the practice machine is the D-10 Dekley. Funny how it stays right where I put it.

Gotta find a way to keep them C6th strings from getting rusty Very Happy

PS: I suppose the fact that the steel guitar appears in the mix of more than a few "cheatin' songs" should give it a bad rap too? NOT!

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2013 11:09 am    

[quote="Ray Minich"]A Dekley was my first 10 string. Cut my eye teeth on it. Now I have three of them.

The Royal Blue Emmons LGII comes out of the case if I get to gig, but the practice machine is the D-10 Dekley. Funny how it stays right where I put it.

Gotta find a way to keep them C6th strings from getting rusty Very Happy

brush them lightly with a soft cloth dampened with vinegar, then wipe them dry with another. the slight acid will keep them rust free.
Fender 400 PSG 4+2
buncha amps
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 May 2013 11:40 am    

you can do a little bump and grind on a dekley.