| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Blue Millennium at Dallas
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2003 5:34 am    

I've had over 20 emails asking about the blue guitar that was on display in the MSA booth at the Dallas show so here's my inept, informal, and "NON-EXPERT" report on that axe. "I like it and with that we'll see you next week, right here in this old smokey bar-------"

No, with over 30 hours behind the horn I'll try to be be brief in telling you what I've found..Because my belief is similiar to those of players like Donnie Hinson and others that "tone, timbre, or sound" is really in the ear of each individual listener, individually subjective, and can be changed tremendously with pickups, cables, equalizers, amplifiers etc., this guitar is just as pleasing, to me and the people I play for, as any I possess or have ever owned--that includes my Emmons PP and a ShoBud Pro.

Does the Millennium sound like the Emmons or 'Bud---No and I'm glad. If I want those sounds, then I play one of those guitars..I can tell you the Millennium equipped with the Wallace TruTone pickup, in my opinion has better sustain and string separation than either of them...

Does it have the "wooden sound"---whatever that is---No it sounds like the guitar I listened to at the factory,liked very much and bought when I visited there.

Further, after over 50 years playing every kind of guitar imaginable, I don't need an "Expert Professional" to tell me what I like, nor what "tone, timbre or whatever" is. The people I play for wouldn't know the difference between a MSA, Emmons, ShoBud, or a John Deere Thrashing Machine, and it can certainly be argued that perhaps I fit in with that crowd.. As long as it blends in with the band and "it ain't too loud", they're satisfied, but I know what I'm looking for and this guitar does it for me.

The very idea that a certain "professional" believes this guitar is "a cheap looking piece of plastic, with no tone quality, and can't measure up to the "wooden guitars" is really stretching the word "professional" to the limit. And to believe that the guitar is no good without a comparison approval by him is really sounding more like a self inflated ego trip rather than an unbiased opinion about the qualities of the guitar. There are several "real professionals" such as White, Cox, Hinson, Anderson, Whitewing and a couple of others who believe it has "tone". They don't shoot their mouth off about it, they just play the hell out of it.

I really have only one beef about the guitar and that's so minor that I haven't even mentioned it to the MSA folks, and this post will be last you ever hear of it: like every single guitar I have, the LKL lever hits me in the wrong spot, but as with all the others I've remedied that with a pad.

The instrument is rock solid where tuning is concerned. In 30 hours I haven't had a single string breakage, and I find that the guitar is really not too temperature sensitive if at all. Further, contrary to what I've read in other posts, this changer mechanism is certainly not the same as on the other 4 MSA guitars I own. Just more crap from the "other side".

As previously stated I like the instrument very much ,and like all my other toys I'm not worried about resale value on this one either. They ain't for sale.

The MSA folks certainly went out of their way to make me happy with my purchase and they certainly succeeded. Stan, Kyle, and Sonny Bennett, along with all the staff at MSA are super people to deal with. Reece Anderson has been a personal friend of mine for many years. These folks are really "professionals".

I have a feeling "crow" will be on the menu of many plates in the near future with respect to this guitar and relative to the ethics and integrity of this organization, and of the individuals associated with it.

------------------
The spirit be with you!
If it aint got a steel, it aint real

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2003 5:47 am    

Congrats on finding the right axe for you.
Got any pictures?
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2003 6:53 am    

Fred,]

Thanks for posting this information. It is this type of info that we need to make informed assessments of anything.

God bless you,

carl
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2003 12:23 pm    

If the expert design and craftsmanship of this guitar is in any way indicative of its tonal quality, it has to be a very good instrument.

$$$$I want one in medium gray and one in white.$$$$

Rick

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2003 1:12 pm    

Fred....I did my best to get those guys in the Millennium Room to let me road-test your new blue baby....I told 'em it would be OK with you, but they wouldn't go for it! I think they were afraid that I'd put some bad notes in it that you wouldn't be able to delete! www.genejones.com
Fred Shannon

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2003 1:28 pm    

Gene, you know you can play with anything I have but my cat---only because after 15 years he still bites the heck out of me---and my wife Pat. You would probably be the only steeler I know who could mash the right pedals up front without a lot of practice (you're aware of the crazy tuning I use.) It really is a pleasure to play the instrument and it's breaking in very well. We're gonna' be gigging 5 nights a week soon so it'll get a good workout..I'm trying to contact Kyle or Reece now to see if the pictures we made can be posted on the MSA website..As much as I paid for this camera, we should make some good use out of it.

------------------
The spirit be with you!

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2003 2:24 pm    

Fred, your post reminds me of something a friend told me one time. He said there are three things I will not loan!
My guitar, my car, and my wife.
In That Order! regards, fred
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2003 4:25 pm    

Fred,
IMO,(and you know what they say bout opinions)It's your $$$$,so if you like the tone/action/etc,go for it. The only new MSA I've heard was TW on the Opry and it sounded good to me. He hit some highs that woulda made Mr Hughey proud and it held pretty dang good. I owned a first generation D12 MSA,the one with the crossbars instead of bellcranks and had no complaints,exept the pedal action was a little stiff,and it weighed a ton.

BF

------------------
Bill Ford
Fred Shannon

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2003 4:41 pm    

Just got off the phone with Kyle Bennett, MSA, and I'm sending him several pictures including some of the technics, changer from different views, the rollers, pedal rod adjuster (close ups), knee lever hookups, tuning machines (closeups), the custom pad on my horn, pedal board latches, etc. If they are of web site quality, and I think some of them are, he has agreed to put them on the MSA web site... Best I can do, but the pics are pretty good. One of the top views of the changers should put to rest that this changer was designed 30 years ago...Just more BS. FRED

------------------
The spirit be with you!

Fred Shannon

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2003 4:49 pm    

Fred Jack, if you think my wife is gonna' read your post, the bubble just burst in your think tank No way I'm gonna' face that mess.

Bill F...I have one of those D12 babies here in the studio..The old pickups have been siliconed into place, but it still functions and the damned thing weighs at least a ton (exageration of course) In any case it's heavy...Believe it or not Reece cant find the serial number records on this one. That's how old it is

------------------
The spirit be with you!

Fred Shannon

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2003 10:39 am    

There are several pics now posted on the MSA website, under the "Your Pics--Fred Shannon" title....Mostly taken yesterday in a hurry, but I have several "technical pictures" that I will be glad to email you...Just specify which end of the axe you want to see, changer, tuners, pedal rod adjusters or whatever...The picture of the pickup slide out is the Wallace TruTone...Don't even start to believe my grand daughter Dovie is a "power lifter" FRED

------------------
The spirit be with you!

[This message was edited by Fred Shannon on 28 March 2003 at 10:43 AM.]

[This message was edited by Fred Shannon on 28 March 2003 at 10:44 AM.]

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2003 11:18 am    

Fred - great shots - great guitar. It doesn't matter if the guitar is made from the finest woods or a man made material. If you enjoy playing it and it brings you pleasure then it's end of story.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2003 5:34 pm    

Fred, That guitar looks absolutely yummy. I can't wait to see one in person and try it out.