| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who Plays Steel for Steve Earle
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2013 8:42 pm    

Tonight on Letterman, there was a S-10 Show Pro. Who was playing it?
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2013 12:06 pm    

looked like a nice steel. sounded quite amateurish. i expected a lot more musically from steve earle.
when you take an act gig on letterman i would think you would be trying to promote some interest, not give away a losing hand.
Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2013 12:09 pm    

I know Bucky Baxter has played with him in the past- not sure about this show- Bucky plays a gorgeous part on 'Fort Worth Blues'
Chris Tweed

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2013 1:13 pm    

I didn't see the Letterman show, but the last time I saw Steve Earle was about a year ago and the guitarist in the band, Chris Masterson, also played a little bit of steel. I remember I was disappointed because I expected to hear more. He only played it on 2-3 songs at most, and it was fairly standard stuff. He is a good 6-string player though.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2013 1:28 pm    

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyVm1sxGeoQ

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2013 1:38 pm    

Mark Eaton wrote:
Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyVm1sxGeoQ

Thanks Mark. I liked the song and the sound, even if the steel wasn't too up front.

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2013 6:11 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
looked like a nice steel. sounded quite amateurish. i expected a lot more musically from steve earle.
when you take an act gig on letterman i would think you would be trying to promote some interest, not give away a losing hand.

what???.... amateurish??.... Not to my ears.. Its sounded like alt country, and pretty good alt country at that. So, the steel man wasn't a Paul Franklin or Buddy Emmons skill level player, so what?... He played to the song, and added good color to it.. He's playing his steel on national TV with Steve Earl, and you're watching it just as I am... Who are the amateurs?

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2013 7:51 pm    

He's using a Stroboflip.....he has to know what he's doing! Laughing
Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2013 8:28 pm    

Not 100% sure, I believe the gentleman playing steel is Chris Masterson?.

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2013 10:17 pm    

Edward Rhea wrote:
Not 100% sure, I believe the gentleman playing steel is Chris Masterson?.

Yes, and the fiddle player is his wife. They put out a very good CD last year.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/The%20Mastersons-MN0002884480

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2013 2:58 am    

I haven't heard their album yet, but I'll check it out. Thanks Tommy!

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2013 6:34 am    

oh. i thought the fiddle and steel were in a similar groove.
as to being on tv, yada yada, that's when i would be extremely concerned about sounding amateurish. and yes, unfortunately that is the sound i've heard often in alt country situations.
i guess steve earle is a big deal to some but he didn't click with me. out of tune singing doesn't necessarily mean soulful.
no offense to anyone, just how i hear it.
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2013 8:50 am    

I'm no regular listener to Steve Earle, but I bought his "Guitar Town" when it came out in '86. This was a very tightly arranged album, very comercial. It seems like he drifted away from that a long time ago, towards what is labelled Americana. I think the same direction was also taken by Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell.

New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2013 10:22 am    

chris ivey wrote:
...no offense to anyone, just how i hear it.

Chris – I get why you might feel that way. Americana (aka alt-country or roots rock) music can be relatively loose, and chops are almost never a focal point. As to whether the steel players are holding back or not, I can't say (some of the best ones are, for sure), but I do know that it's not uncommon to have multi-instrumentalist steel players in Americana music, and frequently, steel is not their primary expertise. It also seems obvious that instrumental skill is way down on the list of what's being sold in most music lately anyway – and so many songs now don't even have any instrumental breaks in them.

There's also a different approach to steel playing that you see in Americana kinds of music. The role of the steel player is obviously very different, I think. It's very noticeable on my own practice playlist that has different kinds of music, where I'll go from Eric Heywood and Son Volt to Lloyd Green with Don Williams, or Paul Franklin with George Strait, Bruce Bouton with the Mavericks, and then back to Greg Leisz with Matthew Sweet or Ben Keith with Neil Young.

I happen to like all of it, but I can see why some might think Americana is inferior if it's not in their musical wheelhouse.

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2013 1:42 pm    

i think the americana category should include lots of stuff i like. but even that last emmylou and rodney thing on letterman left me cold. i think these artists have the potential to be great, but they're not living up to the quality of alison krauss and The Band and others that could also fit the americana label. i suppose lyle lovett fits it too. he has no problem letting good musicians play.
then again i've seen tons of alt groups that are just sloppy, unnatractive, unappealing and sound too garage bad for me.
Mark Dershaw

Arizona and Ohio
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2013 5:24 pm    

The "Americana" label includes folk, country, blues, rock, gospel, bluegrass... pretty much everything. The common thread is that it is rootsy, gutsy, gritty and real. No polished productions. Some can appreciate that, some can't. I would think that since so many contributors on this forum despise new country, they would have an attraction to the opposite end of the spectrum. As for Steve Earl... listen to his CD's, his words, listen to the artists that he's produced, listen to his show on Satelite radio. The guy is a bottomless pit of musical knowledge and talent.
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2013 5:52 pm    

Steve Earle is a masterful songwriter and veteran performer, one of the greats for sure. A national treasure. You can't find a bigger fan than me. The reality is, however, that this vocal performance is not up to par. I would venture to guess that even Earle himself flinched after watching that one. Maybe his monitors were low or something, but he's definitely singing flat. He's a better singer than this. I just saw him in concert last year and he was great. This is not Steve Earle at his best.

The slippery slope with alt country (and I'm not referring to Earle or his band here) is that the musical "spontaneity" can sometimes mask a lack of chops. And no matter which way you slice it, if you can't cut it you can't cut it. Personally I'm a little tired of hearing pitchy steel players in alt country groups. I don't see any musical value in this kind of loose playing. You can only be deemed loose when you're choosing to be loose, as opposed to being not good enough to be tight.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2013 4:45 am    

I remember Steve as an actor on HBO's The "Wire". Much better Actor than a singer in my opinion. But with todays alt Country he might just reach superstardom. Winking
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2013 8:04 am    

I didn't see the show. I've never been of fan of his. Kudos for having a steel player, though! Smile
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2013 8:07 am    

I'm in agreement with the two Chris's.. If you accept mediocrity, so-called Americana will never break out of that stereotype..
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2013 11:40 am    

At the end of the performance, David Letterman comes up on stage and tells the steel player to bring his "Thingy" (pointing to the steel) up to his house because (somebody) is coming over. I couldn't hear who's name he said.

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2013 4:10 pm    

Steve Earle is not doing himself any favors by singing horribly off key and having mediocre arrangements. That was pretty bad, and I'm a fan.
john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2013 5:12 pm     Steve Earle

I am a fan of Steve Earle, and not a big fan of the alt style of steel playing; but thats not the point. Chris is a relatively new steel player, but is a seasoned musician. I think that he is doing great, and hanging it out there admirably. What he played fit the tune.
His playing was perhaps basic, but it was not timid, and not amateurish IMHO. I think he deserves our support and encouragement. His playing was unpretentious and soulful. I have met him a few times and I know he has no grandiose notions about himself. Like all of us, he loves the instrument, and like many of us, is willing to work to get better. I say: Go get em Chris, keep at it, and have fun!
widcj@hotmail.com
Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2013 10:09 pm     Earles steel player.

Looks like his bar hand is to stiff. He's moving his whole arm to vibrato. Sounds like he's been playing maybe a yr or so. He's not bad, he just has poor technique, and needs to relax that arm, and use his wrist. And watch that pitch!!!!!!!
Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2013 1:02 pm    

we've all been there at some point- I'd be nervous as H in a situation like that. The lucky guy just happens to be getting going on a more public platform than most.Remember two things-1- there is a reason he got the gig. Personality,temperament,professionalism probably go a lot further than whether the dude can play OB Special at 3000 bpm clean, especially for a guy like Steve Earle who's been at it so long. Maybe they're friends? Who knows? God knows Neil Young could find a tighter band than Crazy Horse, but that's not the point. 2- closely related, I don't think there's much of an equation necessarily between talent and success.
All that said, I'm a Steve Earle fan, and I've always wished he sang a little more on key.