| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Legrande II or Legrande III?
Barrett Williams

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2013 4:06 pm    

Is the counter force system worth the money? Looking to possible pick one up soon, and need some opinions.
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2013 12:47 am    

Having owned both over a few years, I'd say no.
john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2013 7:03 am     counterforce

Having owned both, I'd say yes.

There is reasonable cabinet drop, and there is excessive cabinet drop. Excessive cabinet drop is a deal breaker for me. When the E's are badly out for me, that's NG. A little drop on 5 against B pedal, or 6 against A is okay, and no problem for me
But the counterforce system just flat works. For perfect tuning..it is a solution.

So if de-tunig bothers you, for the extra $300 bucks its a no brainer. Also over time if cabinet drop creeps in..just tune it out with the counterforce.

I think its a great innovation..the only down side is it limits pickup height adjustment.
widcj@hotmail.com
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2013 7:34 am    

I can also add that the counter force does work and very well. It will even bring a string sharp if that's what you want. Some say they didn't like the pedal feel with the counter force but I could tell very little difference. But on the other hand, unless cabinet drop is really excessive, I can't hear it anyway and it isn't excessive on the Emmons I've had.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2013 8:28 am    

evidently it wasn't the 'end all' in tuning problems or everyone would be demanding it.

buddy likes it. dave robbins must like it as he is purported to be good at setting them.

i'm so lame that i even took off the compensators that came on my zum and haven't noticed a problem after 30 years.

and luckily now i'm losing my hearing so these things like pitch and tuning don't really concern me.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2013 8:56 am    

I've only had LeGrande 111s so have no experience of the 11s. Dave Robbins has convinced me that I did the right thing in opting for the 111, though, and he's tweaked mine on occasion. 'Drop' is negligible on my guitars.
Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2013 8:57 am    

i think if Ron Sr had lived longer, Emmons would have gotten this dialed in - it came out a couple years before he passed and the subsequent Emmons nosedive, so i think that affected its acceptance. i hardly ever see any LLIII's around - lots of II's though.

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2013 7:09 am    

I've had both, LG2 and LG3. I'll take the LG3 anytime for an all pull, totally elimates those nasty wavers.
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2013 3:35 am    

I have owned three LeGrande lll guitar. The most common problem is the counterforce not being set up right in the first place.
I believe when a guitar is shipped from the builder it is set up for " average " what ever that is. It needs to be tweaked for the player by someone who knows what they are doing.
If you have ever had a pro set up intonation on a six string guitar you know what I am talking about.
There are so many variables on pedal guitars. Pedal height, spring tension, Slack in pull rods and so forth. All this is my humble opion and may be so much BB