| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Line 6 Pod XT bipass?
JR Ross

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2013 7:08 am    

Does anyone know the settings to by pass my pod settings so I can hear my amp with no pod effects or tone setting engaged?
Michael Hummel

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2013 8:42 am    

Push all the buttons so they are not lit (Comp/Gate, Mod, Delay, etc.)

Turn the Model Select knob until the display reads "No Amp".

I think that should do it.
Mike
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2013 9:25 am    

I use my POD X3 (and an XT) as effects only, no amp. My main "tone" (what Line 6 calls programs) is delay and reverb only. I can turn them off on the front panel and that gives the steel only tone, as the POD does not "color" (change the steel's tone).
JR Ross

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2013 11:52 am    

Thanks guys Ill try these settings.. Im gettin a new Milkman amp and I wanna be able to hear it stand alone also without pod engaged yet still in the system..
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2013 12:08 pm    

Can you just set up a dry patch without any effects in one of your presets, say like #1?
JR Ross

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2013 8:37 am    

Jack since you have both the XT 2 and XT 3 tell us the difference in features please.. Do the delay and reverb sound the same?
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2013 12:25 pm    

Not much difference, basically the X3 has a bigger display and more user friendly. The X3 has some factory bass programs and some voice (mic) programs that the XT does not have. It also has a Mic XLR input.

My wife wanted my POD XT (and when the wife wants something you jump LOL) so I got the X3, which was the current model at the time.

For what I mainly use it for, both are the same.
JR Ross

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2013 11:24 am    

Thanks Jack. very informative..Now my question to the TUBE purists.. Do you feel as some have told me that the POD XT will detract from the warmth and growl that a good tube amp provides because it is a digital effects unit?? OR is the extra enhancement features of the effects of this unit and the preamp setting only gonna enhance the overall sound of a good tube amp? Joey ace please chime in here since you are one a the guru design engineers..
Michael Hummel

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2013 12:45 pm    

JR:

The best way to not have the Pod (or any effector) mess with your sound is to put it in your amp's effects loop instead of between the guitar and amp.

I can't see exactly what amp you are using...but it looks fancy enough to have an effects loop.

By the way, I (and others) have found that my steel guitar pickup overloads the input of the Pod XT causing audible distortion (not the good kind). I either have to back off on the volume pedal or put some other attenuating device in between.

Mike
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2013 1:03 pm    

The POD devices such as the XT/X3/HD are designed to be used between the guitar and the amp, not in an effects loop. The POD XT can be both a preamp and effects processor and drive a power amp directly. It has modeling for various amplifiers, such as a Blackface Twin Reverb and other amplifiers.

It is really designed for the rock lead guitar players, although the XT/X3/HD can be adapted for pedal steel guitar.

I often use the unit with my steel direct to the board for recording.
JR Ross

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2013 1:18 pm    

Mike ,
I can tell you this ...I AM A TRUE BELIEVER IN BOSS TONE EFFECT FOR PEDAL STEEL GUITAR DISTORTION AND I USE IT REGULAR!Y!!! I Have bought probably 5 of these units over the last 40 years and there is nothing that compares to this old effect for pure distortion for PEDAL STEEL GUITAR..

It is the poor design of the electronics in the signal path of these units ( from the 1960's ) that does not display the true value of these guitar effects .. THEY were only designed to last through the WOODSTOCK GENERATION which is WHY and where I came from ...I just had 3 of them repaired by a local forum memeber who escapes me, mind but if any one needs his name they can ask me,..He made the 2 Reconditioned ones I sent him soar like eagles! AGAIN!! You see when I play distortin on Steel I want it to sound like DAVID LINLEY from Jackson Brown Days..
Here is an interesting observation..My 2 favorite push pulls are My current Mullen Royal Presision and my New Mullen G-2..
Both guitars are exceptional and I agree above the 12th threat the G-2 blows the Royal away..BUUUTTT.. For over all distortion mode with my Boss Tone (maybe because the Royal has the Double George L coil pick -up) The OLD MULLEN ROYAL PRESISION SURVIVES.. I will talk to Tim Markus who makes the Milkman Amps and make sure the effects Loop may or may not fit my needs..I've owned and played probably 5 Pevey Session 400 and 500 amps over the years and untill the Fender Steel King came out (I also had a stereo Tubeworks 500 steroe amp like Paul Franklin may still use) At this point there was nothin better than the Peavey Digital amps.. NOW in my later career I wanna explore the TUBE sound again so that's why I just spent a fortune on a new MILKMAN AMP..END OF STORY!!!!

Last edited by JR Ross on 21 Apr 2013 2:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
JR Ross

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2013 1:23 pm    

JACK...Thats exactly how I have always used my POD XT ..ONLY between my Volumn pedal and amp.. NEVER in a LOOP which I don't really understand the value of
its use as yet!!!