| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steelers Choice Seat; back or no back?
Sam Minnitti

New Rochelle, NY
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 4:06 pm    

I am contemplating the purchase of a Steelers Choice seat and would like to hear opinions on getting it with or without a back.

My main question… does the back actually provide lumbar support while playing with correct posture, or is it there just to lean back on while not playing.

Thanks for sharing.

[This message was edited by Sam Minnitti on 14 October 2002 at 05:07 PM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 4:07 pm    

Back, with power supply

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 5:34 pm    

I like having a back on my seat, but only use it when laying out and between songs.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 5:56 pm    

Same as above. Absolutely the best seat, but the back is not really used when playing. I vote for the back though.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 6:05 pm    

Sam
I didn't make myself clear with my first post. I don't use the back rest when playing, but for supporting myself when I'm not playing. This is between songs as well as between solos and fills during songs, since in the bands I'm in I frequently am not required to be making any sounds whatsoever.

You'd be surprised at how much energy is spent just keeping yourself upright during an evening of playing. I find the lumbar support to be absolutely necessary. I've been playing on Kenn Rollans' seats since 1987, and I have three now... two in my music room and one with the band equipment.

When my seats get worn down, I send them to Kenn and he repads and reupholsters them, generally does a touchup. First class product, and one of the good guys.

There are others out there that make a fine product also, but I speak from my experience with the Rollanses.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 6:49 pm    

I have both and the one with the back is extra wide and long, (the couch version). The "couch" holds a lot more stuff, like PV MIDI faders and cables plus all the normal accessories and for an 8 to 12 hour session, having a back is the way to go.
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 7:15 pm    

I tried an Elite seat with a backrest and hated it. The thing to examine is how you sit when you play. I slouch a bit when I play, so the seat back pushed uncomfortably into my back, forcing me to sit uncomfortably straight up. If you get a seat back, get a guarantee that you can return it if you are unhappy. I was able to return mine for full money back.
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2002 9:08 pm    

I would hope that what Jeff said would not lead anyone to think the Elite in not a fine seat. I have two Elites and a Steelers Choice and both are fine seats. I sit pretty much on the front edge of the seat and use the backrest when I am laying out or between songs. My back does not touch the backrest when I am playing at least not all the time. Jeff described his posture when he plays and he might prefer to sit back further in the seat. I have sold many Elite seats and only had one person not satisfied with it and I offered to gladly take it back with a full refund and Jeff took me up on the offer.
Jerry
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 3:31 am    

I use a Steeler's Choice with a backrest and I must admit when I first got it, the backrest was in a more straight up position than I liked. However, I removed the backrest, used a file and cut the backrest supports on more of a slant and it works for me. I, too, just use the backrest on lay outs, but I'm glad to know it's there. Helps this old fat boy's back on those long tiring gigs.

------------------
The spirit be with you!!

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 4:18 am    

I've got two of these with backs. One of them stays out with the band and one stays here at home. I've tried seats without backs and didn't care for them. Ken is a really great guy who stands behind his product.
God Bless
Steve
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 5:13 am    

Jerry,
Sorry about that. I was definitely not criticizing the Elite. It was quite some time ago, but I recall that it actually looked like a very well-made seat. I just can't use a backrest on ANY seat. I would certainly suggest to anyone interested in a good seat to consider the Elite. And you were very fair about returning my payment. Your policy is to insure a happy customer, and I appreciate that.
Bob Shilling

Berkeley, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 8:05 am    

Like Herb said. You really can't lean back on it while you are actually playing, but in between it's great. I have the sidekick seat, with the small box on the side where you can keep picks, bars, strings, pencils, tuning wrenches and stuff without having to lift the seat to get at it. I can't see why anyone wouldn't want that.

I have the power strip on mine also, but I don't really use it except when some other band member needs it.

------------------
Bob Shilling, Berkeley, CA--MSA S10, "Classic"

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 12:32 pm    

Herb, you are one lucky man! I have to get my wife to support me when I'm not playing
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 1:08 pm    

I've had the same, backless, seat for many years, I think it is an old Sho-Bud. I don't think I would use one with a back, I tend to sit on the foward half of the seat. Moving to a position where I could actually use a back rest seems to put me in a position where it's not comfortable to use the knee levers. I have seen lots of good players who have the seat nearer the guitar and even lean back on the rest while playing, I don't think it would work for me.

------------------
Bill Mooremy steel guitar web page

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2002 4:54 pm    

Steelers Choice Steel Guitar Products
Ken Rollans
(501) 565-6453

Also builds Speaker Enclosures and Rack Cases (w/ patch bay)

Ken lives about 20 miles from me. He is a fantastic person and produces a FIRST CLASS product. I have the side kick seat with back and power..

If you are even thinking of buying a new Steel Seat, CALL HIM and just talk with him for a few minutes...you will not only be sold on his seat but you will be sold on his service.

I have a seat I bought ten years ago and have sat on in venues Worldwide....

He offered to take my old seat and completely refurbish it with all new parts, cusion, material, etc... for F R E E !!

He is always sending replacement parts to customers...

What else can be said about Ken...he is TOP DRAWER!!!!

TH

[This message was edited by Tim Harr on 16 October 2002 at 06:05 PM.]

[This message was edited by Tim Harr on 16 October 2002 at 06:06 PM.]

Larry R

Navasota, Tx.
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2002 11:43 am    

Well I must be the odd man out. I play while leaning back against the backrest mainly because of a weak lower back. My legs are tucked well up under the steel. My back gets to hurting if I don't use the backrest.
Go ahead and get the backrest. You'll be glad you did.
Bryan Knox

Gardendale, Alabama...Ya'll come
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2002 1:05 pm    

Well thanks a lot Tim.

Now that I've seen your seat with that power strip, my Cush-Case seat will be cannibalized tomorrow as I try to fabricate a strip onto it.

Why can't you guys quit giving me these crazy ideas so I can have a Saturday off with my wife and daughter?!?

If you live in Alabama and your lights dim tomorrow afternoon, don't worry. I'm just putting some of those power tools to use I keep getting for Christmas!

------------------
Help prevent juvenile delinquency...teach children to STEEL

Sam Minnitti

New Rochelle, NY
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2002 7:24 am    

Thanks everybody for your advice and opinions. Tim, great photos!

Bryan Knox

Gardendale, Alabama...Ya'll come
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2002 12:16 pm    

Sam,
Just curious and thought I would follow up. Did you order a seat and did you get one with a backrest?

Tim,
Checked out your websight today and thought it was great. Also, I added power to my seat this weekend. Thanks for sharing the pictures that gave me the idea.

Regards,
Bryan
Ray Frady

Rittman, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2002 2:53 pm    

Do they have a website so I can get the prices and options for one of these seats???

If they don't have a website, Does anyone know the prices for these seats???

Thanks,

Ray Frady
Sam Minnitti

New Rochelle, NY
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2002 3:12 pm    

Hi Bryan,

I will be placing the order in a day or two.

I am going with the standard size seat with back. Same color as shown above.

From all the positive comments, it sounds like I will be very pleased with it. I'm sure it will feel like a throne compared to the cheap folding piano bench I am using now.

However, I won’t know until Christmas, it will be a present from my wife, so I will have to wait it out. darn!
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2002 6:44 pm    

After talking with Ken Rollans about why he doesn't have a website....

He stated that "If I had a websight, I would be 10 times as busy as I ALREADY AM...building seats"
He just built a new one for Buddy Emmons. I saw Hal Rugg over the weekend and he was sitting on one of Ken's fine seats as well....

Give him a call and see what he has to offer.

Scotty's Music in St Louis (Overland) Missouri has pictures and prices on thier site or, like I said, you could just call Ken himself.

By the way, he is a great steel player too....

Tell 'em Tim sent ya!!!

------------------
Tim Harr - Carter D-10 8 & 9 - Troy Cook & the Long Haul Band

[This message was edited by Tim Harr on 22 October 2002 at 07:45 PM.]

Sam Minnitti

New Rochelle, NY
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2002 4:54 am    

Hi Ray,

I emailed you their sell sheet that I got at their booth in St. Louis this year. Let me know if for some reason it did not come through.

Thanks
Ray Frady

Rittman, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2002 10:22 am    

I got your email, Sam.

I really appreciate you taking the time to send that to me.

Take Care,

Ray
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2003 2:25 am    

Are these seats sold in europe?
I of course would need a different powerstrip for here.

What is the recomended seat height... yes I know this is a can of worms question.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 22 March 2003 at 02:26 AM.]