| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thoughts on 8-stringers
Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2013 7:13 am    

Hi All.

Thinking about supplementing or replacing my cheapo first reso, and I was wondering what if any downsides there would be to going with an 8-string dobro instead of a 6 for an eventual purchase.

My lap steel is a D-8, and my pedal steel is the usual D-10. I'd like to have the added harmonic options of the extra strings, but was curious whether there are any advantages or disadvantages I'm not considering. I would imagine it's a bit heavier, less "strummable" at a barred position, and might make slants more challenging. Anything else argue against the extra "horsepower?"
Bill Hampton

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2013 7:22 am    

Tighter string spacing is an issue for me, since I started on a 6 string dobro but I am starting to get used to the 8 string.
Shouldn't be a problem for you, coming from 8 and 10 string guitars. Smile
Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2013 8:03 am    

How much tighter is the spacing? The necks are wider, so I'm not sure how they split the difference... I'm not really in a spot where I can go see these in person, it's going to be eventually a sort of birthday present to myself this year at some juncture.

Playing with folks now in a spot where there's more call for dobro, and my current guitar was bought for $150... so I'm having fever dreams of the Gold Tone Paul Beard 8-stringer.
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2013 9:25 am     Re: Thoughts on 8-stringers

Nicholas Dedring wrote:
Hi All.

Anything else argue against the extra "horsepower?"

The only thing that I can think of is if you are in a bluegrass environment......then an 8 string is not the right tool for that job........

I assume that your future 8 stringer will be in a 6th tuning.....so with a half step tweak on one string you'll have a nice dom 7th strummable tuning when needed........
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2013 9:31 am    

I like the idea of 7 strings, with a middle E. You still have all of the standard bluegrass parts, but you can also swing in G6th.

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2013 9:45 am    

You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrXjeBhuaiM

nah,.....can't be done........ Cool
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2013 10:26 am    

The 8string is quieter... noticeably so. The spider carries two more strings, so the amplitude it can move is brought down some.

Also, try some dobro licks on you 8string lap... you have to skip strings in order to keep the same licks. If you're looking to extend your dobro fun this might not be the path for you.

I needed an 8string because I wanted to play steel guitar in an acoustic environment (no amps allowed!). The GT PBS8 works great for that... I've got mine tuned to E13.

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2013 1:48 pm    

Stephen - I haven't noticed that. I have a couple of koa/spruce top resonator guitars (8 & 6) with maple innards, and I can't detect any difference between them. I also have a Dobro 8, and the main difference between it and the others is that the Dobro gets thin as I go up the neck, which I attribute to its plywood body. I have the 8 strings in a C13 tuning (G Bb E G A C E) and the 6 string in B11 (B F# B F# A C# E). lately, I've been playing mostly Hawaiian, but I back up singer/songwriters with the koa 8.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2013 1:51 pm    

Oh - I forgot to add that I buy individual strings that I have picked out over time for the best response. - Jack
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Ulrich Sinn

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2013 5:08 pm    

this is a great video, thank you!
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2013 7:35 pm    

I'm not sure you can get a cheapo 8 string. If you decide to get one, I would recommend forum member Greg McKenna's 8 stringers. He does good enough work to have had a link on Mike Auldridges web site. His single cone model I can recommend unequivocally. I'm still breaking in the tricone. But I expect similar results. The cost is just a little over 1/3 of what you'd pay for the Beard Mike Auldridge model. I have to say though, that I don't play, "Dobro." I play acoustic steel guitar. I tune to C6/9 and to G6. I consider it a whole different animal.

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2013 4:36 am    

I wasn't figuring that an 8 would be "cheapo." Just that the guitar I have now IS cheap, if I get a second dobro it's going to be something that is not quite as price-point driven.
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2013 7:21 am    

Ditto what Bob said.
Sometimes I retune my 6 string dobro with a middle E.
Bob, it's apparent to me you have really experimented with tunings and copedents over the years. Tx for all your input.
Webb Kline

Orangeville, PA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2013 8:06 am    

Jim Pitman wrote:
Ditto what Bob said.
Sometimes I retune my 6 string dobro with a middle E.
Bob, it's apparent to me you have really experimented with tunings and copedents over the years. Tx for all your input.

I play about a forth of any given gig with my 4th st D tuned up to an E. I do think I will get a 7 string because I really like having the D and E together.

I almost bought an MA8 Beard but Paul talked me out of it because he said it was too hard to play grass with the E in the middle and that I would limit myself to much. I'm glad I took his advice because my MA6 sounds so much better than my Dobro or my GT PBR that I don't even like to play them. And raising the D to E works well in a band format. And besides, it now gives me a totally acceptable justification for another reso. Smile