| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The dreaded mid-gig 3rd string break
Ian Sutton

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 8:31 am    

I very rarely break strings, but last night the odds caught up to me. About two songs into our last set, my 3rd string broke. Since it was the last set, I opted to just tough it out and play the set without changing the string -- it went off pretty all right.

After being proud of myself for toughing it out I concluded that I am 1. either much better than I thought I was for being able to get by without. Or 2. much worse than I thought I was for getting by without.

Either way, it was a fun exercise -- I'd like to see my 6 string player finish a set with a missing string.

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 8:45 am    

Sara Jory can break a string, restring, and retune all during one song. Now that's impressive!
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 8:54 am    

About the only string I can't live without is the 5th. In your shoes, I'd have changed it: it doesn't take that long (especially if you have a seat with a sidekick) and it's like missing a color on your palette. Sure you can finish the picture, but you'll change what you paint.
Ian Sutton

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 9:02 am    

A 5th string break would be bad indeed. Either way, it was a good reason to re-think my approach, if not for 25 minutes. Good times.

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 9:42 am    

A fifth string breakage?? Might as well just take my whole guitar away from me. I would have changed the 3rd string if it was that early into the set. At maybe 3/4 of the way, I would have said "screw it".
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 9:46 am    

I usually change a string during the set, especially when the singer starts "Together Again" as soon as he notices I'm playing a 9-stringer.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Ian Sutton

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 10:01 am    

In the grand scheme of things, it was hour 3.5 of a four hour gig, hence my decision to just wing it. I figured the 5 drunks in the bar probably wouldn't miss the string. Rolling Eyes

Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 10:04 am    

Cal Sharp wrote:
I usually change a string during the set, especially when the singer starts "Together Again" as soon as he notices I'm playing a 9-stringer.

Funny, but true story here. I was doing a gig and the little brass pull pin (barbell shaped thingie) that goes in the bellcrank on my Carter to hold the pull rod for my "A" pedal, string 5 pull broke. It was about 2 songs before the end on the gig. I tell the rest of the band that I am out of commission on my E9 neck and have to finish on C6. So what do they do? Next song: "Together Again" (which had I thought fast enough, I could have played on the B & C pedals, but having your guitar go down kind of throws you into tizzy). Then, because of a special guest drummer that sings the song, "Look At Us", we have to do that song (management request, and you know not to piss off the management). Luckily, I did think fast enough to use just the B & C pedals for that. But "Together Again" really came off bad, and I took no solos.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 10:05 am    

Ian Sutton wrote:
In the grand scheme of things, it was hour 3.5 of a four hour gig, hence my decision to just wing it. I figured the 5 drunks in the bar probably wouldn't miss the string. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, you can get anything past those "large" crowds. Laughing Laughing Laughing I do it all the time.

Oh wait, you said 5 drunks Recognize them???
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 10:09 am    

i can change a string before the song is over, as well as many of us can, i'm sure. though we may not look as good as sara doing it.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 10:11 am    

You mean I don't look as good as Sara?? I think I am going to cry now.
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 10:25 am    

Paul Sutherland wrote:
Sara Jory can break a string, restring, and retune all during one song.
...while singing lead on the song!
Quote:
Now that's impressive!

Last edited by Brint Hannay on 4 Apr 2013 10:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 10:28 am    

I haven't broke one since 95 when i learned they were only good for so many hours, i never run the life out of them, change early and regular counting time in my head. Very Happy I love ernie ball 11's, and polish finger's every string change with zimi-chrome.
I go through two 11's per string change, it's a time thing [4 night's guestimated]they can run 7 but i don't like to!!
I also buy them by the boat load, $200.00 a crack for set's and 25 spare 11's....I have had GREAT luck with those Sho-bud sets's for $5.00 at Juststrings.com, they are cheap, but they're good enough for the girls i go out with.

That was a good one Cal. Very Happy

Last edited by Larry Bressington on 4 Apr 2013 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 11:12 am    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Paul Sutherland wrote:
Sara Jory can break a string, restring, and retune all during one song.
...while singing lead on the song!
Quote:
Now that's impressive!

the best way to prepare for this kind of stress is by, on the way to the gig, snorting a line while rolling a joint with a beer in one hand while steering with your knees.
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 11:30 am    

Yeah chris but how do i talk on the phone/do text messaging and watch t.v at the same time? Very Happy Very Happy

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 11:33 am    

hands free voice activated electronics?
GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 2:56 pm     3rd string breaking mid-song

One of the reasons I play a keyless, string changes are much faster and easier in low light conditions.
Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 4:04 pm     3rd string break

Ian, were the 5 drunks in the club the other guys in the band? Since I switched to GHS .011PG and .017PG I rarely break one. I tested the 3rd and it went 15 gigs before it broke. Bob sells them here on the forum. If you can't find them give me a shout as I'm a GHS dealer too.

Doug

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 10:26 pm    

As a singing steel player, I found it easier to change strings while singing than to play my own fills. I had one break right after the kick of one that I sang. I told the fiddle player to cover my first verse fills, and I had it changed before the song ended. The band and audience both said I sang better that way. I didn't realize how much concentration it took to play my own fills, and both singing and playing suffer a bit
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2013 4:12 am    

I agree with Richard and Lane - the E9th tuning without that fifth string is a no-go area! That's why I'll periodically change the third and fifth to be on the safe side.

Without the B string the steel guitar is taking up space on the stage for no purpose. No third? That's far less of a hindrance.

Sad
Thomas Butler

Robbinsdale, MN
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2013 4:35 am    

Keith Richards plays with 5-strings on his guitar all the time.

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2013 4:48 am    

sorry to hear this...it's a real drag for sure..there is nothing worse for a player than to drop a string during a performance... In the days when I did break a string on the gig I changed it during the song...usually during a singing verse or chorus....I hated it..always did, still do...

you didn't say how long that 3rd string was on you axe...

I'll restate my stubborn policy...self serving....

3 and 5 get changed basically every other week when gigging...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2013 7:56 am    

Ian -

probably sounds a little crazy but sometime when you're practicing, and you can spare an extra 3rd or 5th string , remove one and see how fast you can install its replacement & bring it up to approximate pitch.
Once you gain confidence in how short a time you can install new string, you'll feel less challenged about 'changing strings on the fly.'

Granted, this doesn't take into account the time involved in removing the remnant of broken string from the tuning peg, but it might be worth seeing just how long it takes you to install new string and obtain approx pitch. Fine tune pitch as bandstand allows.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2013 8:26 am    

Thomas Butler wrote:
Keith Richards plays with 5-strings on his guitar all the time.

I've seen Keith Richards summ up his style/himself by saying (with a grin, hand gestures, and an accent)...
"Five strings, three chords, and one A$$-hole![pointing at himself]"

I've gotten to the point where I can change a guitar or steel string and re-tune within one song, so I usually just do it as soon as it breaks.
I also prefer to change the 3rd before the gig to avoid a break.

Last edited by Pete Burak on 5 Apr 2013 8:54 am; edited 3 times in total
Ian Sutton

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2013 8:27 am    

A very interesting round of responses from everyone!

I play 3-5 gigs a month each are about 3-4 hours long, and always wipe 'em down between sets and after rehearsing. That said, I change string usually the first week of the month - but being busy with work and life, I hadn't had the opportunity to swap em out before the gig. In fact, as I was packing up for the gig, I thought to myself "I should have changed the strings." But then reassured myself with "When was the last time I broke a string on a job?" Even still, I keep a few extra 11's in my seat with a full set of strings in case it happens.

Lesson learned, for sure! Oh Well