| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Justice Steel Guitar Owners.... question......?
David Hartley

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 1:40 pm    

What pickup have you got on your Justice?
Jerry Humphries

Jasper, AL.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 4:18 pm    

Well David i will soon be a Justice owner, (in June) and mine will have a BL 705. It doesn,t matter what pu you have on yours, you always sound fantastic !
Marty Rifkin

Santa Monica, CA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 4:30 pm    

BL 705. Thought briefly about changing it (like we all do with pickups!) but it sounds really great for recording, so I'm gonna leave it. It's easy to have the steel sit well in a dense mix.
Steve Pawlak

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 7:34 pm     Justice SD

BL 705
It has a certain ring to it along with it's humbucking properties
And the Justice is one fine instrument in itself
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 9:08 pm     Re: Justice SD

Steve Pawlak wrote:
BL 705
It has a certain ring to it along with it's humbucking properties
And the Justice is one fine instrument in itself

So, did the 705 do the guitar "Justice"? Laughing Sorry guys, no sleep last night, long day.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 4:34 am    

Lawrence 705. Fat, rich sound.

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 8:30 am    

I have the E-66 in my Justice S-10. It sounds very good to me. I liked it so well, I also put an E-66 in my black/red Rittenberry SD-10, it sounds great too.
Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 10:09 am    

I have the 705 on my Justice guitar.

One of the things I really notice about the Justice is the tone remains very consistent all the way up the neck.

Would be great if the 705 was available in a chrome colored outer casing again. Just looked better!
Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2013 9:41 am     Justice and Rittenberry

Bill Moore, What is the difference between the Justice and Rittenberry Steels and which one do you prefer? TIA.
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2013 11:13 am    

The ones that I have probably should not be compared to each other. I have the Justice economy model S-10. The Rittenberry guitars are SD-10 and have a higher quality finish. The Rittenberrys look and sound great. The Justice is plainer looking, while being much lighter, and yet it plays and sounds excellent. I enjoy and play them both. The Rittenberry would be more comparable to the more expensive Justice guitars.
Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2013 12:03 pm     Ask the man who owns one.

Thanks Bill, Few people own both and as the old Buick commercial said, "Ask the man who owns one". Some people say the Rittenberry is close to the Sho-Bud sound..do you find that to be true?
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2013 12:45 pm    

I wouldn't say the Rittenberry has a Sho-Bud like sound. It's more like the Emmons/Derby/Zumsteel sound. They are built in a similar fashion. My Justice S-10 has that same sound quality.
Johnny Howington

Lillington, NC
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2013 8:40 am     Justice ( The Judge )

Dave,
I have the 2012 model D-10 Justice (The Judge) with the BL-705 pic ups. I love this guitar and the pic ups. Mighty fine instrument!

David Hartley

Post  Posted 11 Apr 2013 9:00 pm     Hi All....

That's interesting, you all, so far have 705's on your guitars.
It does come to life a bit with this pup on I must admit.
I am staying with the Telonics type 409.
I found the 705 harsh to my ear on strings 1 and 2 and couldn't lower the whole pup at all as I thought it was too close to the strings, and I dig in a bit hard with my picking, anyway, thanks for your replies.

I am loving the Justice steel though.

I am playing in the Netherlands this weekend, a new WBS steel has been built for me to use, with my copedant. It's at the Steeldays European Steel Guitar Festival.
Johnny Howington

Lillington, NC
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2013 1:22 pm     Emmons SD-10 LeGrande 11

Picture of my single neck I told you about David. I will also be putting the BL-705 on this guitar as well!

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2013 11:14 pm     Emmons S-10D

That's beautiful!!!
Ernie Galletta

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2013 5:42 pm     Thanks Dave.

I am a beginner, and was trying to find a used steel on the forum, but had no luck. Every one I saw that interested me was sold. I got an email from Fred, and after seeing you on you tube with your new Justice,(I am a really big fan), I knew what I wanted. The big name vintage models were priced over what I thought a newbie needed, and I prefer new things over used things. Watching your videos made me decide at 64 to do this, or forever forget it. Fred's a great guy,and was wonderful helping me decide what to order. I have purchased your albums from Google Play store on my Galaxy III android.
Also a big Buddy Cage fan,what about you?
Thnks for the inspiration

Ernie

Post  Posted 12 May 2013 10:30 pm     Hi Ernie

You have made a good decision for sure. I look forward to seeing your new Justice when it's built. You will love it. I can't wait to get back on mine, I have been too busy doing house decorating the last few weeks so haven't played much, but it's always setup here ready to go on whenever I feel like it.

PS. Many thanks for downloading my albums...

Regards, David H.
Greg Moody

Branson Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2013 9:54 pm    

I have true tone single coils in both my Justice guitars,I think they are 17.5's.I just could not get the tone dialed in that I like with the 705's.I have been thinking about putting the 705 back in and trying it again for kicks.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 May 2013 7:53 am    

with all the pickup swapping for no hum recording and better performance in a professional setting, i wonder how many of these guitars of any brand see 100 gigs a year?
it makes me think there is way too much unnecessary guitar butchery going on for no real reason.
bragging rights at your local steel club is a poor excuse.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2013 8:39 am    

Quote:
it makes me think there is way too much unnecessary guitar butchery going on for no real reason.

It can be kind of a hobby in and of itself... I know people who "collect" guitars and have a dozen that they still can't play.... still beats golf!
David Hartley

Post  Posted 30 May 2013 5:18 am     What do you think.....??

I played this with a George L 10-1 on the Justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pItF0Qc6D3M

David H
Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2013 8:19 am     Ernie

Just make sure you buy the best guitar for the money you have. You dont want to have to fight the instrument as you lean to play. Fighting the instrument will lead to poor habits, as they say IMHO

Post  Posted 30 May 2013 10:41 am     Hi

Robert Harper......

Have you replied to the right thread? I didn't really understand your posting, unless it's to do with Chris Ivey's guitar butchery comment, which I didn't understand either...

The thread question was asking the question as to what pickup do you have on your Justice steel guitar..

Anyway, there are many pickup choices and I have always had George L on all my guitars. This was my original choice when I ordered, but decided to try again, the 705. As good as it was it didn't suit my picking, and sounded odd on high strings and without having to alter my picking technique, I tried the adjustable pole Telonics too. After a few tweaks, I got it really nice, but then tried a 705 again. Watching videos back, I just had to try my original choice of a George L.. And posted another version of Beneath Still Waters for a few reasons. I have played this instrumental on a Rains with George L and with the Telonics type 84 on it too, and the Justice with a George L.. So I will listen back a few times and decide what to keep.

What I have learned over recent years is this.... What instrument and pickup choice you have for LIVE gigs may not be the ideal guitar for recording, and more specifically, for recording direct to DAW using no speakers and top quality microphones in front of them.

This Justice was my choice as my gigging guitar. I had to get a second guitar as I physically can't lift the Rains in its flightcase down my narrow stairs to the car for gigs, then upstairs again without back pain. I use the Rains on all recording sessions.

But then I have realised, I had the perfect live gigging sound from the Justice, but not always the best sound when recording YouTube vids outside in my rehearsal room.....

So.....

I have the time and own two guitars to experiment even more, which I think most steel players do with pedals setups, pickup choices, and changes of guitars over the years.

Butchery is not what ts about, although I have seen many holes and vacant pedals and knee levers on the undercarriage on a lot of guitars over the years. Just playing around with pickup types, and posting videos, and recording is not butchery, and neither is it fighting the instrument. Put a good player behind a piece of timber, nails, and rusty strings, and he may sound more musical than some, playing their nice new shiny, un-butchered stock or custom built guitars. And to keep quoting the butchery.... Taking things to bits on a steel, and swapping things around, makes you understand how it all works during your lifetime of learning to play it...

David Hartley...

You might be interested to hear this too...
The Rains, with a George L recorded recently for a Swedish band..
Its obviously not me in the images on the YouTube video, but it's me playing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOtidJNzY8s
Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2013 11:12 am     Wrong Post

Yes wrong thread sorry shouldnt do this while working[/code]