| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Music stores near Sacramento selling used resonators?
Ian

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2013 10:50 am    

Hey All,

A buddy of mine just got the dobro bug and I gave him a few pointers and loaned him my old Regal until he can get one of his own. He travels a bit to the Sacramento area (We're here in San Francisco, I've mentioned the Fifth String in Berekely and Griffin in Palo Alto) and I figure there must a few shops around there where he can try out several different types. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2013 12:55 pm    

You mean the Fifth String in Berkeley, and Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, CA?

The Fifth String in Sacramento is an independent store from the one in Berkeley. They would be the first place I'd look if I were looking in Sacramento, but honestly, you'll find a much better selection in the San Francisco area.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2013 2:49 pm    

Ian, does he have a budget? It's a little like saying "my friend is searching for an acoustic guitar." Does that mean a $200 Yamaha, $2000 Martin, $4000 Collings? I don't see many used resonators in most stores, mainly new instruments that are imports.

Closer to my neck of the woods in Petaluma is Tall Toad Music, outstanding guitar store. I stop in there periodically when I'm heading south toward SF and they seem to have on a regular basis a decent supply of ballpark $400 imported resonators, if that is what the friend is interested in. I just looked on their website and they have a new Smith & Young Model 11, from the spinoff brand of National Resophonic that came out last year. I'll stop in there next week with bar and picks in hand and if they still have it I'm going to take it for a test ride. But this is where "what's the budget" question comes in because this guitar is $1849.

Brad mentioned Gryphon, and a great store it is (I ordered a Custom Shop Martin Dreadnought through them), and they have a reputation as one of the truly great acoustic guitar stores in the country, but the reso selection is usually pretty thin. What's good about them is that they stay on top of their inventory by listing it on the website so you can get a good idea of what is available before heading down there.

Also, closer to SF in San Rafael is Bananas at Large Music, and they usually have three or four imports in squareneck resos like Regals hanging on the wall.

Any of the Guitar Center stores in Northern California will usually have a few of the inexpensive imported dobros and the store in SF on Van Ness and the one in Sacramento are two of the better locations for the chain that I've ever been in. The San Francisco store I believe was the second Guitar Center opened many years ago after the original in the Los Angeles area.

It's been several years since I've been to either of the not-affiliated-with-each other 5th String stores so i can't comment on their reso selection.

Legendary Bay Area acoustic fingerpicker and former member of The Waybacks Stevie Coyle opened a new shop in Lafayette fairly recently called Mighty Fine Guitars. His main deal is high end acoustics from artisan luthiers but it would be worth a call to see if he has any squareneck dobros in stock - I think he's had a few since he opened last year.

And it's always worth a trip to Subway Guitars in Berkeley because it's just well - unique! A couple of years ago when Jerry Douglas was out here on tour with Alison Krauss & Union Station he told me he had some time to kill before the concert that evening at the Greek Theater so he headed over to Subway and who did he run into there - Bay Area blues lap steel master Freddie Roulette. How cool would that be - Jerry and Freddie in the store at the same time!

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2013 4:21 pm    

Here's the ticket for your friend, Ian. A Goldtone/Beard that according to the ad has been barely used, in Redwood City. If I weren't in a period of "GAS Moratorium" I'd buy it myself and have a Fishman Nashville pickup installed for plugged-in playing:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/msg/3709599429.html

The other thing about this guitar is the guy bought it from Gryphon, an (occasional) Beard dealer, which means this guitar likely has the sticker viewable from the bass side screen hole that after arriving from Asia it received final setup and assembly at the Beard shop in Maryland. Extra thumb up for that! Cool

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2013 10:22 am    

Thanks for all the replies. I'm guessing the budget is $500.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2013 4:16 pm    

in sac i would at least check out the 5th string. he often has regals and goldtones...and occassional other interesting finds.
Dennis Smith

Covington, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2013 6:48 pm    

Hi, I just looked at the sanfran craigslist and there were seven from 240.--1900. listed.

Last edited by Dennis Smith on 3 Apr 2013 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ian

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 11:28 am    

Information conveyed. Thanks one and all.