| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  U-12 "One Big Tuning"
Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2013 8:33 am    

I am an E9 player but bought a U-12 just before I stopped playing 10 years ago. I purchased an SD-10 last year to relearn everything on E9.

OK 6 months later I'm feeling more confident and basically getting back to being an E9 player again. So I dusted off and tuned up the U-12 and I think I'm ready to give it another try.

I've never really done any C6 other than some 8 string non-pedal. I went through most of the Newman basic C6 course 10+ years ago but never really got beyond strumming chords.

I don't really want to play swing or traditional C6 so much as incorporate some of the C6 into my E9 playing. The band I'm with is branching out into pop/rock and other styles of music. I have some good ideas of how to get around in E9 when I need to play a song that's not so E9 country. When the song is a little bluesy or NOT country AT ALL I'd like to use some "Universal" ideas in the song. So the topic One Big Tuning I keep hearing.

My question is how do I start approaching the idea?

When I need to play swing or older Hank Sr songs I can think C6. I can hold the D Lever in and use pedals 4 5 6 7 to basically get around but the idea of moving in and out of C6 while I'm playing a non swing song is sort of lost on me.

I guess I'm asking for some examples or ideas of how to start thinking the One Big Tuning idea. How can I think of using the other pedals and KL's so that I'm sort of mixing it up. Not really playing E9 or C6 but playing the Universal tuning.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Andrew Kilinski

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2013 10:55 am    

I just started E9/B6 a few months ago, and I highly recommend getting Joe Wright's universal course on DVD. He approaches it as one big tuning (which it is).
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2013 5:32 pm    

I play uni. I'm not sure I can get this across and there's not substitute for hearing a recording but I'll throw it out here anyway.
The roots of a lot of modern pop music is blues and/or rhythm and blues. On a uni - think of 12 bar blues. Play the one chord in the middle of the strings with sixth note in the mix by flatting the Es. Now also apply pedal 6 which gives you a four chord with a 9th note. Now with both pedal and lever still engaged slide this up two frets to get a 5 chord with 9th note. Viola, a 1/4/5 progression sounding bluesy.
Here's an example of transitioning from E9 mode to B6 mode in the same passage sort of seamlessly. Start with pedals A and B down and then rock off both eventually to achieve a descending single note scale (you know what I'm talkin bout) followed by sliding down two frets and landing with the Eb lever in. Now continue the same scale playing notes in that common 6th mode pocket thereafter by using bar movement only, unless the cord in the progression changes, then you can throw in a 6th pedal or two. With the exception of the last sentence you can accomplish this on just an E9 neck.