| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can you change the formica on your steel ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 5:56 pm    

I am not sure where to post this, so if its in wrong place, Bob, please move it. I have a GFI D10 that is a great guitar, but the back formica has warped and is loose, so rather than just fix it, I really would just as soon change the color from blue to red, if possible. I just dont know what all is involved and who could do it for me. I will be in Az and thought about asking Fred Justice to do it for me, but I hate to ask him, cause he is so busy building steels. BTW, I bought a S10 3 and 4 from him, and it is a great steel. Anyway, back to topic, if anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate hearing from you.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2013 3:06 am    

Carter guitar co used to have a tutorial on their web site on how to replace the mica covering. I don't know if its still available.
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2013 3:26 am    

Larry...Common problem on the GFI Ultra,(on the pedalboard as well). Due to the absence of endplates,changing the mica on the aprons is a simple task, the top not so much. This usually involves the removal of the necks, keyheads, and changers as well as the pullrods (basically disassembling the guitar). If you desire a different look, my suggestion would be to choose complimentary color mica strips for the aprons to offset the solid blue top (perhaps a red and a white strip for a patriotic look?) Billy Cooper may be able to supply you with the needed materials.
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2013 4:54 am    

Thanks for the information guys, this is what I was wanting to know..David I think your idea of just changing the aprons out to a good color combination is a great idea...leave the top alone...might make for an interesting look. Thanks again. I will continue to do some research and see what color combo i think would look good.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2013 6:08 am    

There are a lot of "two tone" guitars. Top one color and aprons another.
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2013 6:29 am    

The more I think about it, I think I like that red, white and blue theme idea. Since I am changing out the fretboards to the white ones with playing card position markers, I think going with red aprons would look nice. Now on to finding the mica for it...Any ideas there...I am contacting GFI directly first to see if they have any to sell me.
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2013 8:11 am    

Local lumber yards would be a place to start if you want to purchase.Some steel builders may sell you some mica if they have plenty to spare.Ask around.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2013 8:25 am     I can't believe this!

Won't you lose that famous "BLACK MICA" tone by changing to any other color?
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2013 8:45 am    

From a lumber yard or formica supplier, you might have to buy a big sheet. See if you have any shops that do formica work. Kitchen cabinets, etc.. They might have scraps big enough for your job, or may cut you some to your specs. Heck! They might even do the whole job for you for a decent price.
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2013 8:55 am    

Yes, it is blue, but should have been black...I know I would sound soooooooo much better Smile
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 3:36 am    

Larry...As mentioned, you might try contacting Billy Cooper's shop. When I purchased my GFI he mentioned that he stocked precut mica strips if I desired a color change on the aprons.
Jack Wilson

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 8:13 am     Mica change

Also you could contact Bob at GFI and see what the cost would be for them to do it if you shipped them the guitar.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 8:33 am    

Still think you should contact a local cabinet shop. They'll have the tools, the noxious glue, and the expertise to do it right. And,,, no shipping.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2013 7:59 pm    

Is the mica used on pedal steels the same kind used on drum kits? I've seen some drums that I thought, "Wow, that color would look amazing on a pedal steel!"
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2013 12:05 am    

I think drum mica might be thinner, and more flezible, but I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine.